PDA

View Full Version : tubgrinder wearing out the hammers fast

Guthrie&Co
02-16-2005, 03:23 AM
we have a tubgrinder at work and most of the time it is run on the slowest speed. it wears out those hammers pretty quick. anyone know if this is normal or are we doing something wrong?

Richard Martin
02-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Wrong forum.

treedoc1
02-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Run it at the right RPM's to hammer it quickly.
The debris must be kept as "clean" as possible.
If you load it with a bucket, all the dirt picked up wears the teeth down quicker...just like if you ran a chain saw into the ground at the end of your cut. Dirt or rocks, the same thing...just a finer abrasive.

rodfather
02-16-2005, 08:13 AM
What in the world is a tubgrinder???

o-so-n-so
02-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I would think that rock could be the problem. The machine is designed to take abuse and to give it. New wood, old wood and dirt should not dull those hammers but mix in rock and it could give those hammers a beating. Run at recommended speed.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-16-2005, 08:34 AM
What in the world is a tubgrinder???

ditto :dizzy:

impactlandscaping
02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
I would think that rock could be the problem. The machine is designed to take abuse and to give it. New wood, old wood and dirt should not dull those hammers but mix in rock and it could give those hammers a beating. Run at recommended speed.

Exactly what I was thinking..I have seen metal tears in a Tornado grinder from rocks as well. Clear your loading and discharge areas, or better yet, pour a large cement pad for the entire processing area, and watch for large rock in the incoming woodpiles.

treedoc1
02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
http://www.morbark.com/

We use it to reduce our waste.
Your mulch supplier uses it to make his mulch from waste, then runs it through again after aging so you can buy it and spread it.