PDA

View Full Version : Any input on the new Kawasaki string trimmers??

hortboy
02-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Just curious if anybody has any input on the Kawasaki string trimmer? I am looking at the KTR27A. I haven't been awfully impressed w/ echo's over the last couple years mainly due to the service I get from the local dealer. Seems like the kawasaki are reasonably priced? Let me know your thoughts

Willmow4dough
02-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I bought 2 of them early last season and both of them quit with in 3 months.

I talked to the Kaw reps at the show and they said that they could fix them and so I sent them back. When I got them back they worked fine. They said that they repalce the carb on both of them and every thing should be fine.

About six weeks later the same thing happened again.

I figured that I desirve to loose the money that I spent on the trimmers for not being faithfull to Shindawia.

I just purchased 2 new shindawa for this season to replace the 2 Kawasaki that found there way in to the trash.

You will never see anything on my rigs except for shindawia or redmax again.

If you buy one good luck.

The C Man
02-17-2005, 12:48 PM
That's the first time I've read anything negative about them. If you do a search you'll find some discussions on them. I have a KTR27A, got it for just over $200 shipped to my door off eBay. Doesn't have that many hours on it yet but it's performed flawlessly for me.

jrodgers
02-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Of all the ww I have owned Shindaiwa have been best for me. I have a t-220 that is at least 15 yrs old and it is still kicking. I think it is a freak of nature. It seem funny that when ever the new ones break old Betsy takes up the slack for them. Definitly got my money out of that one! I have had the new Shindaiwas but they dont last like that one.

imograss
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I haven't used the KTR27A, but I have 3 KBL26A's. This is the 4th season and they have alot of hours on them. They have been awfully good for me (coming from a former Shindaiwa man). They are very light and comfortable and it would be hard for me to go back based on my experiences.

Legacy
02-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Kawasaki trimmer/blower parts are sometimes VERY hard to get..stick to the mainstream products like Echo/Redmax etc.

Sir Mow-A-Lot
02-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Just got the KBL27A. Light and comfortable, purrs like a kitten. Haven't really cut with it yet, though.

Toy2
02-19-2005, 11:45 PM
I have had the KTR27A for a couple of weeks, really got to use it on some light stuff, hope the thing holds out when the going gets tough, or I will be one pissed of mother. :mad:

Some claim it does the job, others are bashing it...only time will tell!

The C Man
02-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Some claim it does the job, others are bashing it.
You're absolutely right. That's how it is with all the reviews of equipment on here, but the problem is that hardly anyone tells you the conditions they're using the equipment in. I've got the KTR27A and for what I've used it on -- typical residential stuff like trimming around trees and fence posts and maintaining an edge on the lawn with an Edgit -- it has more power than you'll ever need. Would I want to use it on waist high weeds in ditches? No, but there are plenty of reviews on here by guys who work in conditions like that and they rip on anything that's not powerful enough for THEIR conditions, like those are the only conditions that exist, so when you read a review that something sucks you have to take it with about 10 grains of salt.

Vibe Ray
02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
You're absolutely right. That's how it is with all the reviews of equipment on here, but the problem is that hardly anyone tells you the conditions they're using the equipment in. I've got the KTR27A and for what I've used it on -- typical residential stuff like trimming around trees and fence posts and maintaining an edge on the lawn with an Edgit -- it has more power than you'll ever need. Would I want to use it on waist high weeds in ditches? No, but there are plenty of reviews on here by guys who work in conditions like that and they rip on anything that's not powerful enough for THEIR conditions, like those are the only conditions that exist, so when you read a review that something sucks you have to take it with about 10 grains of salt.

Now why in the world would u want a trimmer that couldn't take rough conditions when there are trimmers out there that will, lol

Toy2
02-20-2005, 06:31 PM
I think it comes down to price, why pull your trailer with a Ford Ranger, when you can pull it with a Hummer....they both will pull the trailer.

I was told by the dealer that this trimmer would work for most jobs and the price was good, so sometimes you take it at face value that you won't get screwed.

When my accounts develop I will dump more into the equipment, right now all the $$ is going into marketing.

Thanks ;)

The C Man
02-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Now why in the world would u want a trimmer that couldn't take rough conditions when there are trimmers out there that will
Price, obviously. Why do manufacturers make an entire line of the same basic tool? For different applications. Do you need an air compressor and impact wrench for putting together a computer desk? The point I was trying to make was, it's pointless when guys make snide comments that something like a Stihl FS110 is underpowered and to look at something bigger unless they tell you exactly what conditions they work in. There's nothing wrong with having a little more power than you need, but be sensible about it. If you need a brush cutter, then fine, get a brush cutter, but if you're dealing with 'typical' conditions you certainly don't need one.

SoloMow
02-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I recently purchased a BRAND NEW KTR27A on eBay for $209 delivered. Since it is winter, the only test I could perform was around my house. I had planted some Elbon Winter Rye Grass in my dormant garden. It was lush green and 12" tall when I decided to test my Kawasaki. In 5 minutes I shredded 1000 square feet using .105 braided line! I don't know what others on LawnSite are seeking. But, for my small residential customers, I have all the power I need. :eek:

sawtoothman
08-31-2008, 10:20 AM
The obvious answer to that is a 10 pound trimmer will not wear you out, but will do the job satisfactory for 90% of what you have to do. Why would anyone want to carry a 15# trimmer around all day when he only needs IT for 10% of his work? DUH!!
Of all the trimmers I have purchased, kaw is the best. I bought a Shindawa and it gave out in 3 weeks. When it did run it vibrated real bad. Got my money back and went to another dealer to get a kaw.
One note, however, I bought a filter and cover for one kaw and a broken trigger for another and the tab was over $60. but that is not too bad for about 3 years worth of use.

jbannick18
08-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I have used the ktr for over a year now and it has ran flawlessly. I recently picked up the kgt27a at lesco for 232 and saving it for when the KTR dies :). Awesome trimmers