PDA

View Full Version : hill holding ability

HOMER
02-16-2005, 10:41 AM
In the near future........some how some way.......I need to purchase another mower. I know these are questions that get asked all the time but this is a more specific one.

Between the Scag Turf Tiger and the Exmark........both having 60/61" decks.........which one will stay on a hill better? Not only sideways but climbing as well. I like my Choppers for various reasons but hill side mowing is not their specialty.

Reason for asking............bid on account with an extremely steep bank. It alone wouldn't be worth the trouble but there are 11 locations all together.........might be worth the investment cause there are more that may be added.

Shady Brook
02-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Homer

I doubt there will be a big difference between a Scag, and an Exmark for hill stability, but I found a noticable improvement going from an older Tiger to a Hustler Z. I doubt anything will be better then the hustler, although I remember some folks bragging on a Walker which is not likely something you want.

Good luck
Jay

Scraper
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Homer,

Have you given any consideration to the Wright Sentar? I have been running mine for two seasons now and the thing operates great on hills. Not to mention the comfort factor knowing you can bail easily if something were to happen.

HOMER
02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
No.............but a machine like that might fit this project well...........and they're cheaper too!

Might have to look into one, I know we have a dealer somewhere around here.

65hoss
02-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey Homer...get all 3 out for a demo at the SAME time. Hustler, eXmark, and Scag. Same conditions is the only way to know for sure.

David Grass
02-16-2005, 11:19 AM
yes, I can put my Walker on a Hill that most would only put a WB, but that is because I have the 52 deck, any smaller and it sucks, that front stance really makes a BIG difference (notice I live in western NC). Even the Hustler I tried out, could not come NEAR what I do with the Walker on hillside (we just bought the 54 Huslter WB YEE HAA!!!). When you see me on a Hill on the Walker, I am sitting on the EDGE OF MY SEAT ..........LITERALLY!

terracare
02-16-2005, 12:55 PM
For climbing, the Exmark weights would probably work well. We have gone as far as having an employee sit on top of the deck to keep the front end from popping up.

Todd

Scraper
02-16-2005, 01:58 PM
We have gone as far as having an employee sit on top of the deck to keep the front end from popping up.

Todd

Now that sounds safe....ever hear of OSHA or worse yet Worker's Comp.? :eek:

Shady Brook
02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Posted by terracare "For climbing, the Exmark weights would probably work well. We have gone as far as having an employee sit on top of the deck to keep the front end from popping up.

Todd"

Don't try this at home Sports Fans! :dizzy:

I am Scraper, it may work, but should never be done for a multitude of reasons.

cantoo
02-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Homer, I have two of these. Go anywhere and do anything. I make a bunch of my own attachments. You will be able to do lots of other jobs with it too.
http://www.steinerturf.com/

stumper1620
02-16-2005, 11:27 PM
Homer,

Have you given any consideration to the Wright Sentar? I have been running mine for two seasons now and the thing operates great on hills. Not to mention the comfort factor knowing you can bail easily if something were to happen.
somebody on haas one of these for sale 1 season use. just saw it this week son a thread somewhere. he had what i think was a really good price.
lost an account and needs to dump it.
If i can find that post I'll post a link for ya.

lawncare4u
02-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Go and get yourself a Hustler SUPER Z :waving: It comes with a suspention seat,spoiler and a oil cooler :waving: And to top all of that off it is second to none on a hill.You won't go wrong if you buy one of these dream machines :waving: :waving: :waving:

SOMM
02-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Ours isnt, but sounds like you might want a take a diesel Dixie test drive. Municipalites are using them for certain hillsides. You can let 40% air out of the tires of the one you got too, if that helps. Why not a big hydro walk behind with dually wheels?

stumper1620
02-16-2005, 11:52 PM
here ya go homer
I new i just saw this not long ago. :blob3:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=95773
post #3

TGIB
02-17-2005, 03:39 AM
The Scag Turf Tiger has some design features that give it great hillside stability.

1. It has a very low center of gravity. Most other Z's have 10 to 15 gallon gas tanks up high , over the rear tires insted of having fenders. These tanks are heavy [60 to 90 pounds when full] and they really can affect the balance of the machine on a steep hill. The Scag has a single 10 gallon fuel tank that is CENTERED in the frame, and is down under the seat so low that they put a steel skid plate under it to protect the bottom side of the tank !

2. The drivers seat was lowered down about 4 inches on the Scag a few years ago, and this helped the hillside balance a great deal.

3. The frame on the Turf Tiger is a welded double tubed structure that is engineered to be much stiffer and resist torquing or twisting on hills. This gives the Scag more lateral stability on a hill. It also is heavier than most other units, but the frame is down so low that it also helps the center of gravity.

4. The mower deck is 7 ga. steel with 2 -10 ga. plates welded to the top. The top of the mower housing is a half inch thick steel. There is a steel drive shaft going to a gear box on the mower instead of a belt drive. All this adds extra weight, and this weight is all down at ground level, so again it helps lower the center of gravity.

5. The Turf Tiger weighs around 1300 pounds, most other Z's of this size weigh 1000 to 1150 pounds, but the Turf Tiger has been engineered to carry this weight down real low, so this is why they are so super on hillsides and banks.

HOMER
02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I may demo a Scag today, if they have a demo available. I've run an Exmark (not on a hill) and loved it's mulching capabilities and the lower cg. Getting off a n older Chopper onto a new Exmark was like climbing out of a truck and then driving a Miata! I also hear they cut bahai really well. This is a must down here in bahai land. I'll keep ya'll posted on the results.

Itsgottobegreen
02-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Homer,

What he said.

somebody on haas one of these for sale 1 season use. just saw it this week son a thread somewhere. he had what i think was a really good price. lost an account and needs to dump it. If i can find that post I'll post a link for ya.
At first it thought you were talking about me. LOL
Same here. Lost a large acerage account. My 61" is too big for the rest of my accounts. Its got to go

jgtxusa
02-17-2005, 08:58 PM
We run a scag turf tiger 61" on the hills just fine. We have run also equal machines in Toro and Exmark, but the scag holds the hills a little better than the both of those to me. I did demo a ferris is3000z 61" that also holds the hills well. If I were you, I would just demo all 3 or 4 of these or any others on the same day. Good luck.

stumper1620
02-17-2005, 09:04 PM
What he said.

At first it thought you were talking about me. LOL
Same here. Lost a large acerage account. My 61" is too big for the rest of my accounts. Its got to go

I was talking about you. It was just a couple of days ago that we were on a thread that you mentioned that account, when i went looking that was the only one i could find and i couldn't remember who the poster was. Now i know, It was you. :waving:
I wanted to help ya sell it. :D

mag360
02-17-2005, 10:12 PM
My Turf Tiger holds a hill much better than my Husqvarna. Both 61in full-sized frames.

olderthandirt
02-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Homer, I have two of these. Go anywhere and do anything. I make a bunch of my own attachments. You will be able to do lots of other jobs with it too.
http://www.steinerturf.com/

Ditto what said here. get one and you will forget about the rest.

Mac

aardvark1
02-17-2005, 10:43 PM
I am new to this business and am actually just starting out with a partner. We drove an Exmark and a Hustler Z 3 days ago and there happened to be a sizeable hill where we were driving these things around, and the Hustler in my mind outdid the Exmark by a mile on everything, including being planted on the hill. It seemed to be more maneuverable, less choppy, definitely faster and quite a bit cheaper in price brand new. I was told that the Exmark gives a slightly nicer cut, but for hills, between the Exmark and the Hustler, the Hustler was way more planted.

LLandscaping
02-17-2005, 11:45 PM
We have two Scag Tiger Cubs and they do well on hill. But I have look at the Turf Tigers and they have a wide wheel base and the guy I talked to that owned it said it does great on hills. Our dealer is Rent-One in Gardendale its about 15 minutes north of Birmingham. Hayden is 25 miles north of Birmingham. Homer where are you located in Alabama?

David Grass
02-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Again, I compared a Hustler super Z to my Walker with a 52 inch side discharge deck, and there is absolutely no comparison on a hill. The walker is hands down, the winner there, but you have to have that wide stance of the 52 deck, or larger. The Hustler beats Walker if you use the 48 inch or smaller. Notice that I live in Western NC ie the mountains!

Envy Lawn Service
02-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Homer,

The best advice I can give you is to take no one's advice but your own. Demo-Demo-Demo!!! I'm sure glad I did because some of the machines that were suggested to me were laughable on real hills. Guys like David and I who live where there are real hills know that not all Z's are created equally in hill performance.

Between the two that you listed, my money is on the Scag.

Other Z's you might want to check out are.... Ferris, think springs.... the Country Clipper Charger, yeah believe it or not Country Clipper.... Hustler Super Z.... Grasshopper, because it has the under seat tank like Scag, Country Clipper and Great Dane.

On that note, you may want to check out the Grasshopper 322D/61 as well as the diesel units from other makes. I've heard from several people that the extra weight of the diesels really helped out. I can see where it would also, to a point.

mklawnman
02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Just like everyone else has said demo and see what suits your needs. Depending upon how many steep hills you need might look into a Wright Standard the stand on ones, not the sit on ones but I wouldnt know I never demoed the sit on one.
I have 2 Scag Turf Tigers, one I just bought last year and at first I thought since it has a big 72" deck it wouldnt hold hills as well, but the new Turf Tigers have lowered the frame and center of gravity compared to my old 2001 model. I swear the new Turf Tigers hold hills like no other, up to a point that is, steeper slopes gotta watch it, along with wet turf. But I like the Turf Tiger's set up you seem to sit in the machine rather than on top of it making you feel secure on hills.
And then theres the good ole' walkbehind models as well to look into which Im sure you already have.
Scag would be my choice, so Demo away :D
Matt

rodfather
02-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Homer, see what the independent suspension will do on a Ferris machine...it makes a difference IMO.

Itsgottobegreen
02-18-2005, 09:12 PM
I was talking about you. It was just a couple of days ago that we were on a thread that you mentioned that account, when i went looking that was the only one i could find and i couldn't remember who the poster was. Now i know, It was you. :waving:
I wanted to help ya sell it. :D

Thanks!!! I love lawnsite. Everyone helps everyone else.

So are you really going to help me out and buy it.

Legacy
02-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Demo..demo....demo...

If you are going to try a "stand on" machine try the Great Dane Super Surfer. It handles hills very well for us and we love the floating deck and the ground speed.

If you are set on a rider try ones that have the gas tank UNDER the seat for better stability..like the Turf Tiger