PDA

View Full Version : 99-current Chevy/Gmc 1500 rear brakes

green814
02-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I need to replace my rotors due to the braking surface "chipping" off around the outside edge. I heard the parking brake is a drum style that is inside the hub, & when you remove it, the p/brake falls apart. Anyone know how difficult this is? I know how to replace brakes ( disc & drum ), but do not have any experience w/ the new gm truck rear disc brakes. Thank you for the help.
Chris

CNE
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Boy are you in luck. I am a full time tech at a GM dealer and part time LCO.
OK, first, the park brake will not fall apart when you pull the rotor off. There are 2 bolts which are 18mm heads that hold the caliper bracket to the axle. They are very tight due to loctite applied at the factory. You may need a pull handle and a peice of pipe to break them loose. Make sure you put loctite back on them before you reinstall. The rotors are flaking due to rust I would imagine. Anyway, take the caliper off and then slide the rotor off. Depending on mileage, you may have to replace the park shoes too. I don't know about aftermarket ones, but new GM shoes come with a new design clip that holds them on. There is an adjuster for the shoes, you will have to adjust them when you put it back together. The park shoe looks like a big horseshoe. There will be a retaining clip on the inside edge that holds it on, remove the clip and slide the shoe up or down off the adjuster. Now, the tricky part is getting it out from around the axle, it has to be slipped off over the axle flange starting with one end of the shoe and working it around as you rotate the shoe around the axle. Turn the adjuster back in while the shoe is off. Install the new shoe like the old one came off, don't bend the shoe. Slip the ends of it back in the adjuster and install the retainer. Now, for the adjustment. Slip the rotor on the axle and rotate it back and forth with your hands, make sure it is all the way onto the axle flange. You will want to adjust the park shoe out until you feel a slight drag or rub of the park shoe against the rotor. It's like you would adjust regular rear drum brakes if you have done this before. Once you have it adjusted, reinstall the caliper, make sure you use loctite on the bolts. Use the Red Loctite which is high strength. If you are replacing your brake pads too, you can remove the lower of the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket before you remove the bracket and rotate the caliper off of the pads. The pistons on them just push back in, you don't have to rotate them as they go back in. Hope this helps, Mack.

green814
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Mack
Thank you for the input. If I don't have to work saturday I will be in the garage having fun. I will let you know how it turns out. I don't know if its true, but did GM go back to drum brakes in the rear of the trucks for '05? I heard that because they have had a few problems (not safety) w/ the rear disc brakes? Thank you again.
Chris