PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell out?

Smalltimer1
02-16-2005, 12:49 PM
I know that this is ultimately up to me, but I am looking for some 3rd party insight.

I am debating selling out every piece of equipment I own but the '99 GT-235.

I have played with some numbers on paper, and it looks like I could get roughly $5000 for it all.

I would use the money to get a nice low-hour JD 332 or 430 and a trailer heavy enough to haul it on.

Should I sell out and consolidate, or should I keep going with what I already have?--which includes:

1969 JD 140 H1 w/ JD #50 cart and homemade disk.

1965 AC Big 10 with 42" mower and 42" blade and 36" rotary snowplow and matching cast iron wheel weights

1987 Honda HT-3813 (liquid cooled inline 2 cylinder engine) 13hp/38" cut

1955? David Bradley 2 wheel walk behind garden tractor with hood, cultivators, snow plow, and plow points, needs new engine which I plan to install myself.

2004 Carry-on 5x8 trailer w/full light set and reflectors

There is also a couple of other pieces that could be in this but those are still up in the air as they are tied up in a will .

I also have about 7 or 8 junk mowers and about 10 or 12 junk pushmowers that I think I could sell as a lot for parts for something like $300.

I would use the GT-235 until I got the replacement machine. Since the GT-235 is a split ownership between my father and me, I'm trying to get my own machine that's new enough that parts are not a problem, and also new enough that it will still have some residual value on down the line.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

The Dude
02-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I dont think what you are doing is selling out. I think it is more cutting the fat and getting rid of excess stuff that isnt producing revenue sitting in the garage or yard.
Before you do anything, you should define where you are aiming to go and then you can make an informed decision about what to do with all of the equipment.

Smalltimer1
02-16-2005, 01:51 PM
The AC and Honda are money makers, they are used regularly. The JD 140 is in progress with some repairs it needs.

I was thinking I could get rid of all of those and put the money into a nice JD 332 diesel which comes with a 50 or 54" deck and they run almost forever, basically consolidating my fleet.

TClawn
02-16-2005, 03:24 PM
If this is you main income, I would sell the old machines and buy something that you can depend on.

Smalltimer1
02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
The AC cranks on the first hit, the Honda needs a starter. The 140 was my attempt at starting to collect antique JD's which someday I hope to expand. I am just trying to make room at home and then. I plan to use what I have until probably the first of March or so and begin to sell them off one by one, then hopefully by May I'll have enough $$$$ to ride down to Asheboro, where the closest 332 is.

cantoo
02-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Everything that I own is always for sale, you never know when the right guy will come along and just have to have something you have. I am always buying and selling. It's a good way to work up to newer equipment and is also a good source on income. Right now we have 16 trailers and 10 mowers for sale and likely a hundred other items in various stages of selling.

Todd's lawncare
02-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Everything that I own is always for sale, you never know when the right guy will come along and just have to have something you have. I am always buying and selling. It's a good way to work up to newer equipment and is also a good source on income. Right now we have 16 trailers and 10 mowers for sale and likely a hundred other items in various stages of selling.
what are the other thing you have do you have a list of the thing you have for sale if so mail it to me toddshauling@aol.com I'm always looking for something