PDA

View Full Version : Why a dixie Chopper???

SouthernYankee
02-16-2005, 08:34 PM
What is so great about dixie choppers? Where I used to live up north I never even saw one, not until I go onto this site.

What does this mower have over the rest?

locutus
02-16-2005, 08:55 PM
The reason you didn't see one up north is because Northerners have a natural aversion to the word "Dixie". More to your question, I believe they pride themselves on ground speed and interesting engine chioces. They offer one mower with twin engines if I am not mistaken.

Due to their relatively high center of gravity, they are best suited for flat terrain. That is why there are so many of them in the deep south.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Yes they have a high center of gravity, but they have one of the widest wheel bases around. They will handles hills just as good if not better than most ztrs.

SOMM
02-17-2005, 12:28 AM
They have one of the most advanced hydro oil filtration and cooling systems. They are fast moving(the duals engines and diesels do 15mph, ours does 8-9mph, we paced it). They have a consistent blade tip speed of 3300 rpms through almost anything: 24" tall fescue lawns after being rained out for a few weeks, foot high Bermuda, dandilion and plantain weed fields even look well sculpted. I've seen them operate on St. Augustine in Dallas nicely, around the hotels and convention centers. We close the side discharge baffle and grind leaves with gator blades installed, like the leaves didnt exist. They cut great in high humidity and moisture conditions, even the cold doesnt phase 'em, unless they're diesel. If you're caught in a torrential downpour on flat to 30 degree grades, keep on mowing, it's still going to look great with no callback. We use ours regularly on some 45 degree grades without reducing our tire pressure. Some local municipalities are using 42-46hp diesel Dixies on some massive slopes too. There are easy and hard hours of operation, Dixies can handle 5000 hard hours with the original engine, before needing major overhauling, nolo prollem.
We like 'em. As long as we mow, we'll own one. :)

Lawn-Scapes
02-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I could try to explain but I think you need to try one and see for yourself.

Soupy
02-17-2005, 02:13 AM
They have one of the most advanced hydro oil filtration and cooling systems. They are fast moving(the duals engines and diesels do 15mph, ours does 8-9mph, we paced it). They have a consistent blade tip speed of 3300 rpms through almost anything: 24" tall fescue lawns after being rained out for a few weeks, foot high Bermuda, dandilion and plantain weed fields even look well sculpted. I've seen them operate on St. Augustine in Dallas nicely, around the hotels and convention centers. We close the side discharge baffle and grind leaves with gator blades installed, like the leaves didnt exist. They cut great in high humidity and moisture conditions, even the cold doesnt phase 'em, unless they're diesel. If you're caught in a torrential downpour on flat to 30 degree grades, keep on mowing, it's still going to look great with no callback. We use ours regularly on some 45 degree grades without reducing our tire pressure. Some local municipalities are using 42-46hp diesel Dixies on some massive slopes too. There are easy and hard hours of operation, Dixies can handle 5000 hard hours with the original engine, before needing major overhauling, nolo prollem.
We like 'em. As long as we mow, we'll own one. :)

I agree with most of your post. But have you tried a mower that had a baffled mulch kit on leaves before? It is night and day between a mulching mower and a Dixie Chopper. That is the only reason I didn't purchase another Dixie. I sure do miss that mower's cut quality in wet conditions, but I had to have a mower that could mulch leaves better. I always had to go backward on the Dixie to get it to mulch descent. I wish I could fit the Turf boss tires on a 52" Hustler. I loved those tires in wet conditions. I need a set of 23x9.5-12 turf boss tires :cry:

Jackman
02-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Any pics of the dual engine Dixie chopper? Why 2 engines? Seems like unessasary overkill.......

Richard Martin
02-17-2005, 05:48 AM
Dixies also have the easiest to use steering there is. You can easily operate a Dixie for 8 hours without wearing your arms out. One handed! The hydro system is second to none. It is a quad loop system that is normally only found on applications of over 100 horsepower.

Most Dixies (except the base models) also use a Amsoil 1 micron engine oil bypass filter. All of the engine oil is constantly run through a filter that filters so well that if you were to blow cigarette smoke into it nothing but air comes out.

They are tough and if you don't abuse them they require little in the repair department. My first Dixie at almost 1300 hours has only needed a set of belts and even at that I think they could have gone a few hundred hours longer.

If they do need repairs Dixies are built wide open so you don't need to remove un-neccesary panels and cowls.

Travis Followell
02-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Another good thing about the Dixie's that I saw on the new ones is they have fans on all the deck pulleys. I don't know if the older machines have them or not.

ProMo
02-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Another good thing about the Dixie's that I saw on the new ones is they have fans on all the deck pulleys. I don't know if the older machines have them or not.
mine doesnt have fans its still cutting after 9 years

rodfather
02-17-2005, 09:10 AM
The reason you didn't see one up north is because Northerners have a natural aversion to the word "Dixie".

I would have to disagree with that...the Civil War ended 140 years ago.

The reason Dixie Chopper does not have the presence in the Northeast is because of the lack of a distributor/dealer support network...companies such as Bunton, Gravely, Grasshopper, Bad Boy, Walker, Dixie, and others are virtually non-existant in the NE for that single reason...they don't have the dealer network that eXmark, Ferris, and Toro has in the NE. I would even venture out and say that 8 out of 10 commericals sold in the NE are "red" in color, with the rest being either yellow or orange.

I have been mowing full time for more than 10 years now and I too never heard of many of the above mowers until coming to LS as well. In a very short time, i was amazed at all the other mower manufacturers that were spread across the US. It's not to say all the other mowers lack in some type of craftmanship...it's dealer saturation and local preference that makes the difference.

splatz100
02-17-2005, 01:49 PM
heres a pic of the duals

splatz100
02-17-2005, 01:50 PM
and heres another

Fine Lines Lawn
02-17-2005, 02:04 PM
That's my baby. Or Beast, rather. :)