PDA

View Full Version : What to choose?

jbgreig
02-16-2005, 08:59 PM
OK, I am a long time lurker, first post. This question is directed more towards commercial equipment, rather than commercial operations.

I have a 3+ acre yard, and have decided on a ZTR. I have been told that I should buy a residential ZTR, but I tend to overdo things. I saw a post somewhere that said more or less, buy less and you will regret it every time you start it, buy the good equipment, and you will enjoy it every time.

That being said, I have tried to narrow my selections down. I am currently considering either an Exmark HP 48" cut or a Hustler Super Mini Z 52". The promotional pricing on the Hustlers have convinced me to consider them. I think it is $1300 off MSRP currently, which is attractive. I am somewhat interested in the cut quality between the two. I've heard so much about the quality of the cut of the Exmarx. Is the Hustler cut quality noticeably worse? I would also be interested in opinions on the various engine configurations.

I need to point out, that while these may be overkill, as I have been told, I am definitely going to get a commercial mower, as my neighbors all have Skags, Dixie Choppers, Kubotas, Exmarks, etc, and I can't be left out :)

Any advice on these or comparable mowers would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I live in South East Texas, and have mostly Bermuda grass and St. Augustine.

Thanks for reading!

Brad

specialtylc
02-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I have found that most all of the major brands cut about the same. The only real difference is what features you want. And what you are willing to spend.Either way, a $4000 or $5000 commercial mower will last you a lifetime. Where a residential $2000 mower stamped out of 22 gauge will be a real dissapointment .

stumper1620
02-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I recommend that you request a demo of each. Or take the best deal with the highest horse power, nothing beats having the power to do whatever you want with your mower, 3 acres, bigger the deck the better unless you have tight areas, most all comm. mowers have very close to the same blade speed so cut is not really an issue with either one, pick what is comfortable for you, get as many extras as possible to make the best deal
mulch kit, striping kit, extended warranty are all possible add ons to make a deal, being homeowner use, I would want an added year or 2 on my warranty
you will never put it thru the time test that an LCO will during the warranty period.
just my .02 :D

jbgreig
02-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I was just quoted a price of $6500 for a 52" Super Mini Z with a 25hp Kawasaki. That just might be the ticket!

tstrong
02-17-2005, 02:22 PM
JBG, What dealer did you get that quote from ? I'm about to buy a super mini and it might be worth the drive. Thanks in advance for the info. Tom

jbgreig
02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
I have found the number in the phonebook. The dealer is in Houston. I'll send you his email address in PM.