PDA

View Full Version : Menu Proposals

kutnkru
02-02-2001, 06:18 PM
I have heard differing opinions about menu proposals. Some of the LCO's I've talked to say they act as several proposals in one. Other LCO's say that they are in fact confusing the customer.

I was just curious what everyone thought about proposing services with three prices for good/better/best pricing structures.

For those who are not familiar with them an example would be Pruning and Shearing services:
Best Service: P&S every six weeks from April thru October
Better Service: P&S in early July and again in mid October
Good Service: P&S in late June or late September

Thanks for your thoughts.
Kris

thelawnguy
02-02-2001, 10:03 PM
I would start off by offering one basic service, the lowest one you would be willing to put your name and reputation to, and then upgrade/upsell from there.

Ssouth
02-03-2001, 12:04 AM
I always tell residentials I have two different service options. One for mowing and one for mowing, pruning, fert, and etc. etc. Everyone wants to know the difference in price so I give them two proposals. What normally happens is they will decide somewhere in the middle. For every option the add to a basic service they get a small discount. I can't give you the exact % of the discount due to size of lot, amount of pruning and etc. I find this is a good system for me on residential lawns.

No matter what type of work I will be performing, I always try to give the potential customer options. The way I figure it is the more options you can give, the less they will shop around.

KindGardener
02-03-2001, 10:25 AM
I have several different "arrangements" in place - some are due to the fact that I just took over an existing business 6 months ago, some are new accts, or have changed.

I offer "gold level" service, which includes basic lawn service, weeding & raking the planting beds, minor pruning as needed. I will apply fertilizer to keep the grass looking good, and pre-emergent to cut down on the required weeding, both at my cost (which is minimal & is built into the basic price.) My price is certainly a little higher than some of my scrub competition, but that's no problem.

My "platinum level service" (I actually refer to it to my customers as that - about half of my 88 current customers are platinum) includes additional services such as fertilization program, snail bait, mulching the planter beds, changing out the color, etc. Their monthly service is usually the samne basic cost (gold level) but every invoice that goes out has add-ons for snail bait, fertilizer, a flat of coral bells, or whatever I did. I may charge a buck or five to re-seed brown "female dog spots" - same with snail bait.

I bill "a la carte" - extra charge for each extra service. Cost is minimal - my cost plus a small mark-up (since I'm new, I have only a vague idea that I'm making much money here). Keeping track is a ***** for me.

Short of buying a PalmPilot I'd like to know how y'all keep track of the extras - do you have one page for each client, or a list that you write all extras onto, when do you transfer them to your billing - once a month or each day...

awm
02-04-2001, 11:13 AM
The guy i bought my mower from offered a just quick
mow service.No trim nothing else.He said people liked it so well that he had very little trimming.He was part time
but said he turned jobs down all the time as the LAZER
had all it could do in a loted time he had.

jrblawncare
02-04-2001, 12:10 PM
Kutntru,I would just ask your clients what they want from you and give it to'em.Just bill accordingly on what you do.I sure do miss up-state...use to have a bunch of land near Bath...Deer hunting,camping ect..use to live in Hilton about 15 miles NW of Rochester..good luck to ya...JOHN

cos
02-04-2001, 12:20 PM
Quick mow service?

I would think and would bet money that he rarely picks up too many customers after that cut.

kutnkru
02-04-2001, 08:05 PM
I think we will continue to give them prices for the basics as we have in the past and continue to list other services available on an optional services page.

Thanks for the input guys.

Kris