PDA

View Full Version : opinions on ztr

iluvbermuda
02-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm involved with my Son's rec. league where he plays baseball. We have 4 fields and quite a bit of other grass areas we mow. The areas that are not fields are on some good little hills. We are fixing to get a new mower, our old rider(J.D.) is playing out. We are looking at a Scag priced to us by a local dealer at around $6000. I like it and Kubota. With the info. given, what are you alls opinions on the best longest lasting ztr to purchase for $5500-maybe $7000?

SOMM
02-17-2005, 12:46 AM
A used Dixie Chopper with 1000-1500-hours on it or less (ours is still a virgin, just crossed 200 last year, and its second set of blades!! ).

See my other post at this thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=920698#post920698

Best Regards

TGIB
02-17-2005, 04:10 AM
It sure would help if you could go that extra inch and say which model of Scag , and which model of Kubota, what engines and what size mower deck is being offered to your organization.

Is this a non profit organization that is tax exempt ? If so, most companies have special pricing for non profits.

On playing fields like your baseball park, it is common to use a vac system to remove the clippings so the kids uniforms are kept a lot cleaner and better looking. If you are getting a vac with the mower, I would definately recomend the Scag. The Scag tank type vac system is one of the best units made.

K&L Landscaping
02-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Look into the John Deere 757 or 777 with at least a 60" deck maybe even 72" since you will be mowing wide open spaces. If you go with the 60" get at least a 25hp engine, 72" should have at least 27hp.

If you are dead set on one of the two you mentioned I would definitely say Scag over Kubota. Kubota has a good tractor but their ZTRs are quite proven just yet.

MarcSmith
02-17-2005, 10:00 AM
if you talk to a scag dealer ask about the "Bid Assist" Program thats their terminolgy for the Government pricing plans. I got a scag wild cat 25 kawai, 52 deck with extra belts blades and filters for $6300 or so....Toro 400 sersies with a 23 kawai and 52 deck are running 6200 under teh GSA pricing plan in our neck of the woods....

If you are church and tax exempt they should be able to help..

Soupy
02-17-2005, 11:31 AM
If you do not have the need for true mulching then I would also recommend a Dixie Chopper. They will make fast work of the ball fields and lay some awesome stripes to boot. I think all ball fields should have nice stripes. It will make the kids feel so much better when they show up to play ball. With that said, most any commercial mower will and can be set up to stripe good. One thing about the Dixie Choppers is they have the best filtration system on the market. Ball fields can get dusty at times. I know the mowers won't be on the dirt but there will be dirt in the air if they are cutting at the same time the infield is being prepared. I would even go as far as to say the Dixie Chopper could even handle the duty of light dragging since it does have a 2000lb tow capacity and the extra filtration (in the dirt) helps too.

I do not own a Dixie Chopper because I need mulching capabilities other then the OCDC provides. So this is a unbiased recommendation. I have owned a Dixie Chopper in the past (so I do have experience with them) and now own Toro and Hustler mowers. I will add that Hustler does hold hills better then most ZTR's. They have a good filtration system too, but the Dixie has better oil filtration then any mower on the market that I am aware of. The Hustler has the best warranty and customer service in my opinion. The Hustler with a mulch kit added will make easy work of any leaves your park might have. You didn't mention anything about trees in the surrounding areas though.

If I was in your shoes I would have to look at who will be using the equipment and the condition it will be used in. The conditions I believe you have is why I mentioned a Dixie Chopper. If you took away the hard dusty conditions then I would lean toward the Hustler myself (That is a little bias though because that is currently my mower of choice).

I would definitely take a look at these two brands, but (to throw some more confusion at you) if price is an issue then I'm sure any commercial type mower will do fine. Exmark (although won't save you money) would be my third choice and probably have the best cut in the market. but other then that, they really don't have anything that sets them apart.

These are just my opinions, Take them for what they are.