PDA

View Full Version : Newer Husqvarna WB's anyone?

gogetter
02-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Anyone here have one of the newer Husqvarna wb mowers? In particular the models with the Easy Touch Controls and/or the Quicklift deck lift system???

Seem like really nice features. Curious to hear from anyone that owns one with both/either of these features?

Overall likes and dislikes of the mower, cut quality, etc....

Thanks.

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
I have Run the 42"...Controls are Very Similar to ECS...Height Adjust is the Best in the Business...Will not Purchase because they Use a Universal Carrier Frame for all 3 Decks which Means Drive Weels are far from rear of Deck Making the Unit Long....Will stick w/eXmarks Thank You Very Much.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20582&stc=1

gogetter
02-17-2005, 02:43 PM
I have Run the 42"...Controls are Very Similar to ECS...Height Adjust is the Best in the Business...Will not Purchase because they Use a Universal Carrier Frame for all 3 Decks which Means Drive Weels are far from rear of Deck Making the Unit Long....Will stick w/eXmarks Thank You Very Much.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20582&stc=1

In that pic (thanks by the way), it appears that those two mowers are pretty much the same length, no?

I'm guessing that one on the trailer was just a demo?.

How about the quality of the cut? Discharge of clippings? etc.

sildoc
02-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I was looking at the 52" the other day. Talked to alot of the LCO's around here that run them and they said for the money ther is no way they would run anything else. Quality cut, Fast, Durable were all quotes from several of them. One guy has a 42 that has almost 3600 hours on it and is 3 1/2 years old. Still runs like a top. Only changed the rear tires and the fuel tank. Fuel tank was cause a limb went through it when one of his workers ran it under a tree. He is upgrading to all new equipt this year and said he will keep Huskavarnas on his trucks.

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
No they're Not the Same Length...The Husqrvana is Longer than the 32" Viking even though it Uses 3-14" Blades & the Viking Uses 2-16" Blades....There's a Huge Gap Between the deck & Drive Tires...In Reverse & @ Lower settings This Caused Scalping...I also Like my Walks Compact for the Small Lots we Service.

They Used the Same Carrier Frame on 42"-48" & 52"...It's a Very Bad Fit on the 42"....The cut was fine but I didn't Get it in Heavy Grass & Didn't Use the Mulch Kit.

The Height Adjust is the Best Thing About these Walks...Sweet.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20583&stc=1

KUTTINIT
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I was told this is the same mower as the Yazoo /Kees...anybody confirm this?

TURF DOCTOR
02-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes the same mower they cut okay,the stripes were good, to raise the deck is top of any wb on the market.the price is lower than most top names.

gogetter
02-17-2005, 06:10 PM
They Used the Same Carrier Frame on 42"-48" & 52"...It's a Very Bad Fit on the 42"...

So, would that gap shouldn't be there on th larger, 52" model then I assume?
(that would be the model I would be interested in, IF I choose to stay with a WB).

gogetter
02-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Yes the same mower

Are you sure about that? They sure don't look the same. And Y/Z doesn't have the features that we're talking about here (controls and deck lift).

TURF DOCTOR
02-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Just going by what a local dealer said,

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2005, 06:46 PM
There's No Way the Y/K's is the Same Mower...http://www.yazookees.com/products/floating_kutterhydro.html

The 52" Might be a Better Fit...I Only Looked @ the 48" & 42"....If it is..
Buy it !

BMFD92
02-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I just looked on Husqvarna's website and they look like some nice mowers. I think I just might get a quote from my dealer.

Envy Lawn Service
02-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Let's clear this up because I'm somebody who knows. No this mower is not exactly like the Yazoo/Kees offerings. But it IS built by Y/K as are all Husqvarna mowers. Both are built in the Y/K factory in Beatrice NE and both companies are owned by Electrolux.

Husqvarna's Advanced Cutting System (ACS) deck is exactly the same as the Yazoo/Kees deck. The mechanics of the deck suspension is also basically the same as what is on all the riders and Y/K's new floating deck hydro. The quick height select on both floaters has everybody's DADDY in the WB market.

However, take it from someone who knows.... the deck lift/suspension is not without flaw. If you look, you will notice the connection links between the lift weldments are SOLID NON-ADJUSTABLE RODS. This means all deck leveling and pitch adjustments are made via the chains with the grip nuts/bolts.

What a pain in the arse!!! Leveling, pitch, fine tuning adjustments, ect are a real chore. The solid non-adjustable link rods will need to be replaced with the typical treaded rods, nuts, thru-blocks, and springs found on almost all riders.... not only for adjustment purposes, but also because I have known these skinny rods to bow/bend under the weight of the deck. Springs could also be added to the rods for more deck lift assist and to help the deck float easier. But good luck finding a threaded rods,nuts, thru-blocks, and springs system off something else that you can order to fit. The weldment holes are 1/4" where the thru-blocks attach and I haven't found anything as of yet that will work without modification.

Envy Lawn Service
02-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Fareway,

Make note that the old 42" is no longer available on any of the Husqvarna walkbehinds.
Only 32" 36" 48" and 52".... I'd say this is because of low tip speed on the 3 blade 42" deck.
The WH frame we are discussing here is only available with 48" and 52" decks.

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't See Much Similarity...The Gas Tanks are Different/Twin on the Y/k's...the Controls are Different...The Quick Adjust Deck is Different....the Carrier Frames are Different...Mabe the Decks are the Same...

You are Right..the 42" is Gone....Good Riddance...The 52" Walk Should be Top Notch w/the ETS Controls and Deck Lift...

The Riders Look More Similar than the Walks.

Envy Lawn Service
02-19-2005, 12:49 AM
As far as the floating deck hydro's go, depending on preferences, one is much better than the other. You for example would like the Y/K much better, and I probably would too.

No doubt about it though, Y/K builds them all. Matter of fact, Husqvarna doesn't build any mowers at all, except the Swedish Rider. Everything else is farmed out.

Actually, if you really look at the two floating deck hydros, you will see many similarities. The deck is identical. The actual mechanical part of the deck carrier/lift is also. The only difference on the quick adjust is the Husqvarna has a hand lift, whereas the Y/K has a different handle because it has a foot lift assist.

The Husqvarna WH frame came along first, then the Y/K. I dunno why because I never asked, but although they build it Y/K never adopted the WH frame as an offering with red paint for some reason. (?)

As far as the rest of the mowers, all the belt and hydro fixed deck mowers are identical. They have just been playing around with a couple of alternatives to pistol grips on both colors. The riders are all but completely identical.

http://www.yazookees.com/images/PHOTO-YKproducts.gif

Mower Man
02-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Yazoo/Kees had the first true Floating Deck WB in the industry many years ago, and a unique Patented forward-reverse control system (forget the name-old age) that allowed the user to adjust tracking by a simple squeeze of the pistol grip control lever.
No knobs, just a little squeeze and it tracked where you wanted it.
Hasn't been used for years, but the Husqvarna ETS system is an offshoot that never seemed to be user friendly to the back, shoulders, and neck.

Envy is right about the Husqvarna ACS being simply a buzz word.
Deck is the Yazoo/Kees, but Yazoo/Kees had the super duty Tapered Roller Bearing spindle assembly with the 'break away' spindle housing that protects the deck, linkages, and trail arms on all it's models one year before Husqvarna.
Now they both used the Y/K spindle.

The 'break away' design is a smart idea that came from the automotive industry which has been using 'sacrifical' shock absorbing parts like bumpers, skirts, fenders, etc. Even Honda/Accura has-will have break away wind shield wipers...just in case you hit a pedesterian, and they roll up on the windshield.
So don't hit any customers....they're not on mowers....yet. Who knows it may be like roll bars that are coming.

The Yazoo/Kees Pro Performance System (PPS) is the easiest to use hydro controls in the industry, requiring the lowest amount of grip-squeeze pressure, can be height adjusted, and will "Squeeze Track" a little, but also has a track knob that is hardly used. Wife only rides, or uses a 21" trim mower, but she can easily use it.

The lift system is an off shoot of the Yazoo/Kees Patented "Quick Lift" that on the riders. It is foot operated, automaticlly locks in the 'up' position, and once you learn how to use it....it's simply neat.

I think the deck is the fastest, and easiest to 'pitch', and level, out of any I've used or seen. Easy as I-2-3.
After checking tire PSI and on a level flat surface which is for any mower:

1. Lay 2X4's (thin side) under each side of the deck so they don't hit the anti scalp rollers.
2. Pin pin in 4" hole, and lower deck onto the 2X4's.
3. Take any slack out of the chains.
Leveled, and pitched.

Haven't had any problems, other than I forgot....only once to tightened a chain bolt, and the deck cut crooked.
Don't have to grease the mower pivot points because they have self lubricating solid ABS pivot blocks, which if worn years later can be rotated like tires and not have to have metal blocks replaced, or tabs welded back on the frame as they did in the past or other mower brands still have to.