PDA

View Full Version : belt life on scag

dr9
02-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Just curious how long belts tend to last on wb scags. I have used mine for 2 years approx 8 hours a week and they still appear to be in exellent shap. Thanks.

Tvov
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't know particularly about Scags, but most belt drives are similar. 8 hours a week is not much, your belts should last a long time.

The belts that are "fixed", that aren't being loosened or tightened to engage and disengage wheels or blades, can last an incredibly long time. The engine-to-blade belt you may want to replace yearly, as that usually gets a lot of abuse. The drive wheel belts can last multiple seasons, they just stretch over time.

Since most belts can be changed in the field, and if you really want to save money, buy a set of replacement belts. Keep them in the mower truck, and don't use them until you have to. Keep your eye on the belts, if you see cracks or fraying, replace them. Check the pulleys to see if the belts are being damage by something out of alignment.

With mowers that are being used heavily, say 40+ hours a week, you should think about replacing all the belts each year, just to save the headache of having them fail in the field.

Hope this helps.

Littleriver1
02-17-2005, 01:04 PM
They only fail when you are so far away from your dealer at 3:00 PM on Saturday so there will be no way you can get a new one till Monday. If you are really worried about it, replace all your belts now before they fail and keep your old ones as spares.