PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Toro 44" hydro pistol grip wb

brucec32
02-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Other than the traction and deck heavy design, should I be wary of buying a 2003 model Toro hydro pistol grip 44" SFS deck wb mower?

How do they mulch?
I owned a t bar version and it cut well except for needing more power (15hp Kohler single) and the T bar steering was just not a good design on the hydro models. Too jerky.

I have read that the pistol grips gave much better control. I need a unit for ocassional use where the ZTR won't reach (gates, hills) so I could live with the pistol grips for the short amount of time it'd be used.

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Please Don't Get me Started on Toro Hydro Floaters...

The SFS Sux Compared to Most Newer Decks...Its Over 20 Years Old...They Mulch Like Crap & the Kit Weighs down the Front end...Wait for TF Decks.

The T-Bar is a Joined control which Means you have Very Poor control over Individual Wheel Spin during Z-Turns...Very Bad Hydro Control System...Whoops just noticed you said Pistols...They're Better.

The Carrier Frames are Hackneyed attempts to fit Vertical Height Adjusts w/the SFS decks and are Unbalanced and Poorly Concieved.

The only Toro walks work consideration are the Fixed Deck Pistol Grip Hydros.

..... because they're eXmarks.

Mark McC
02-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I looked at an '04 Toro 52/17 SFS, a showroom model while out and about a few weeks ago and there was rust under the deck already. They were trying to unload it for $3,999. When I got back home, I tried a search on SFS and found a LOT of really negative feedback. I'd avoid the SFS like Typhoid Mary.