PDA

View Full Version : Should I go with the Dixie Chooper instead???

mloolara
02-17-2005, 03:01 PM
I had all but decided on the Scag Tiger Cub, 48" deck with a 19 HP Kawasaki at a walk out price of $6875.00 financed for a year at 0% and then for 2 more years at 10.95% if need be. Howver, I would be able to purchase a Dixie Chopper X2001-50, 50 " deck with a 20 HP Kohler engine with the added air cannister for a walk out price of $6400.00 with the same financing option as the Scag. The thing that sold me besides the $500 savings is that it is lighter (I live in Louisiana and often times it is necessary to cut even when it is still more wet than we would like it to be) is the fact that the 2005 models that are due out in another month will cost around $750 more than the 2004 model that I am planning on buying with no changes in the two whatsoever. Any opinions as to whether I am making the right decision in going with the Coatesville Classic Chooper istead of the Scag Tiger Cub? I have to decide by tomorrow so please let me ASAP what you think.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-17-2005, 03:11 PM
That price seems very high for a 2004 tiger cub, I purchased mine on the promotion of $5995. I know different regions have different prices. I have never used a dixie chopper and they arent very popular in my area because of limited dealers. I think they are a reputable company and I would have to look at them seriously for $500 difference. How do the dealers compare as far as the way they treat you as a customer? that may be a decision to consider also.

mag360
02-17-2005, 03:18 PM
You should be able to get the scag for $6400 or less---I would use the dixie as a bargaining tool unless you really like it better.

On page B7 od "Turf" magazine Feb-2005 Scag has a full page ad listing the tiger cub 19hp kawi 48in OR 20hp kohler 48in for $6299 until april of this year.
Your dealer should be willing to match that.

Good luck either way!

SOMM
02-17-2005, 03:40 PM
from another member up HWY 95 apiece from you, mloo.
(might be worth renting a Hertz or U haul truck or trailer to go pickup this great deal on a Dixie)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93181

I got great respect for Scags and Hustlers too.

luckylawnboy
02-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Dixie Chopper will Hold up better for you. You should look at the Dixie Silver Eagle.

CottonPatch
02-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I had all but decided on the Scag Tiger Cub, 48" deck with a 19 HP Kawasaki at a walk out price of $6875.00 financed for a year at 0% and then for 2 more years at 10.95% if need be. Howver, I would be able to purchase a Dixie Chopper X2001-50, 50 " deck with a 20 HP Kohler engine with the added air cannister for a walk out price of $6400.00 with the same financing option as the Scag. The thing that sold me besides the $500 savings is that it is lighter (I live in Louisiana and often times it is necessary to cut even when it is still more wet than we would like it to be) is the fact that the 2005 models that are due out in another month will cost around $750 more than the 2004 model that I am planning on buying with no changes in the two whatsoever. Any opinions as to whether I am making the right decision in going with the Coatesville Classic Chooper istead of the Scag Tiger Cub? I have to decide by tomorrow so please let me ASAP what you think.

mloolara,
The Tiger cubs are all 2005 models you are looking at. The 2005 models on cubs came out last August. I know what dealer you are working with and let them tell you what they think would best fit you. This dealer will serve you well and can give you better info for South LA than someone from up north that has never dealt with centipede, bermuda, St. Augustine, and bahia grasses. The ad in Turf magazine was from another distributor who has less freight cost than what it takes to get them from Wisconsin to Lousiana. Do not let the 400 dollars deter your decision on these mowers. You need to look at deck design and thickness, frame, and the spindles. With our climate here, the SCAG is going to last longer because of the thickness. With the moisture we have here, the SCAG spindle will hold up better being that it is greasable and will allow you to push out any moisture and dirt that may get in them. Really and truthfully, you are not going to get in your yard to cut any faster after a rain with either mower. Spend some time with the guys at the dealership and they will not steer you wrong. GOOD LUCK!!!!

slapu2
02-17-2005, 10:42 PM
good choice, but I would look into hustler specs for durability, warranty, climbing, performance :cool:

lawncare4u
02-17-2005, 11:06 PM
HUSTLER SUPER Z of course :waving:

Travis Followell
02-18-2005, 08:22 PM
I would take the Dixie over the Scag for $500 less anyday. Look at it this way, Dixie builds some great mowers that will last and your gonna save $500. If they were the same price i'd still take the Dixie over the Scag but thats just me.

brinlee lawn
02-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I would buy the dixie. I really like mine. :waving:

K&L Landscaping
02-18-2005, 09:42 PM
The price you gave on the Scag seems to be over priced by about $500-600. I like the thought of you having one more hp and one more inch deck width on the Dixie.