PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on an older Scag super Z considering to purchase

cincimowerman
02-02-2001, 06:48 PM
I am considering the purchase of a used Scag Super Z 52" midmount deck rider. I think the unit is mid to late 90s model.I am expanding my lawn service slightly. I have always used walk behind units and never had much experience with a rider. I want to increase productivity and reduce mowing time. I now use a Scag 48 hydro walk behind that I would keep as a backup and for slopes.
Does anyone have experience with an older Super Z?
Are there any known problems?
The unit I am considering has a newly rebuilt engine and seems to be a strong machine. I am concerned with the 3200 hrs. on the unit. The rebuilt kohler engine has about 5 hrs. on it. I don't want a machine that is going to cost alot in the future to keep it running. The $1700 price is also a concern for an older unit. I am having a hard time finding a used machine for a good price. Any suggestions. I use scag because the dealer is very close.
I would have to also purchase a trailer to haul this machine instead of loading walker in the pickup bed.
Will I save more time with a riding unit?
Thanks in advance

Evan528
02-02-2001, 07:06 PM
Junk! Several of my competitors use them. NOt only do these machines clump in every mowing condition, they also dont cut smoothly. These mowers are also very prone to drivetrain problem wich can get very pricey! I have used the scag hydro walkbehind and actually like them but do your self a favor and get a exmark or a toro ztr!

1MajorTom
02-02-2001, 07:09 PM
Hi there,

just wanted to welcome you to Lawnsite. You will find
a lot of information here that will help you.

Eric ELM has set up a link for the new members to visit to review past discussions here at Lawnsite. Lots of topics there, along with a whole section on Scag. You might be
able to find your answers there, or I'm sure someone else
who is familiar with Scag will respond.

Here is his link:

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite_post_links.htm

Welcome aboard.

Jodi

HOMER
02-02-2001, 07:17 PM
I have a '96 model with the 48" deck. I only have 1100 hours on mine so I can't say what might happen to the pumps and all that by then.

I can say that I have the 18hp Kohler on mine and I have had to replace a head gasket once(it's not just the 25), the PTO clutch once because it fell off and got chewed up(don't ask me how) and other than that it has been a very good machine. It will not keep up with the other machines out there because the travel speed is only around 7 mph, 6.8 I believe is what mine is supposed to run. It is pretty agile though and I still use it all the time. I have dedicated it to bagging only with the addition of a TRAC-VAC unit which has kept the hours down on it as well.

I would take a real close look at it. If it looks abused it probably has been, if it looks like it's been kept up then it might be a machine you could get a few years out of. I coulnd't advise you on the price, have no idea what a used machine is worth. It will increase your productivity, it doubled mine when I bought it, I went from a tractor style mower to the Scag and really got productive.

Hard to say without seeing it. They are tough, I've proven that!

DMC300
02-02-2001, 07:28 PM
I have had the displeasure of buying a used scag z w/many hours on it. The only thing that didn't rattle was the 20 h.p.Kohler.Terrible cut,very uncomfy ride,bad decision.I got lucky and the seller bought it back for the sale price,thank God.My dixie is over 4 years old and everything is still running great.I'd have to advise against that purchase from what I've learned.

HOMER
02-02-2001, 08:12 PM
I did buy mine new so I have been able to keep the maintenance up on it myself. I see others haven't had too much luck with theirs. As for a bad cut???????? Mine makes a pretty good looking cut, especially when bagging.

sunrise
02-02-2001, 10:02 PM
Use to run all scags wb and riders and sometime a viper.
I would put the older scag rider inthe class as a lesco viper.
Stay away at all cost!!!
try to find a exmark,dixe chopper I think you will be happy with tthem insteaad of the scag rider

HOMER
02-02-2001, 10:44 PM
My poor old Scag just can't catch a break here! I do regret sometimes not buying my Chopper first. Why don't you go out and lease a brand new one and then you can control the outcome? I've never bought a used mower, well I did buy a 21" Crapsman self propelled and it didn't propell it self, I hava never wanted to work on them all the time, I like warranties, my last name is not Stone.