PDA

View Full Version : Another 2 cycle question

Henry
02-17-2005, 08:17 PM
This has nothing to do with brand or ratio. Do you trust your guys to mix it correctly or do you mix it yourself to be safe? Has anyone's equipment suffered major damage because of improper mixing by an employee?

ed2hess
02-17-2005, 08:57 PM
That is always a risk we have had two units seize up because of running raw gas. When the motor seizes up you can take out the spark plug and put Mobil 1 in it and force the piston to move up and down. I am two for two in getting the unit freed up and back running. You have to do it immediately when it is hot! Mix the gas yourself, you need to use 89 octane anyway so this makes sure it get done right.

beransfixitinc
02-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Not a landscaper, but had a poor little Shindaiwa 22F come in today that the guy bought from us not too long ago (probably what you fellas would describe as a scrub) and it was locked up. We checked the gas, and it had a little oil in it..Did a quick exam and found nice scoring/heat transfer on the piston and cylinder. Fella finally came around to admit he probably put more gas in a half filled gallon and didn't add more oil.

Hate to see something like that, but shouldn't take more than one time of doing it....

lawnman_scott
02-17-2005, 10:58 PM
If they cant mix the gas themselves how will they ever be in a position to take your truck with a trailer full of equipment out onto the road? An idiot can mix gas, and if they cant, they are too stupid to keep.

Green lawns
02-18-2005, 12:40 PM
I have always mixed the gas and oil myself.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I mix my own. When I have had a helper ( a very few times) they pay no attention to anything you tell them it seems. Best thing to do is mix it yourself and that is 1 thing less that they can mess up.

tacraven
02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
A friend of mine has had employees put motor oil in instead of 2 cycle oil. They have also mixed the oil and gas in the tank and not in a gas container first. He has a srm-260 trimmer and pb-650 that are ruined. He needs to make an incentive program to keep this from happening. Do the mixing in the can yourself and give them plenty of it for a day.