PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License - Who has a class E or CDL?

TMlawncare
02-18-2005, 11:48 AM
We have been in business full-time since 1996. Recently I had a friend of mine asked if I had a class E license since I was a "for hire" company. Until now I really haven't given it much thought. I have just a reg. drivers license. Its my company, do I need anything else. I have a couple employees that ride along with me, but next year one will be driving since were starting a second crew. Does he need a class E? I would like to here what your thoughts are and what you have. I know it will vary state to state.

lawnman_scott
02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
It goes by weight. But for a pickup and trailer you dont need a cdl.

Lux Lawn
02-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I have had a cdl since the state of Ohio started them because I used to work for a city.I know longer need it but chose to keep it, you never know when you might need it in the future,

Green lawns
02-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I have my class B CDL! I got mine so there would not be a problem with weight.

greenngrow
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I have heard of Class A (any combination of vehicles with GCWR of 26001 or more) Class B (any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more)
and class C (any single or combination that does not meet the definition of A or B....)

Never have heard of class E....

greenngrow
02-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I have a class B with Haz Mat endoresment....

You guys that have CDL's get ready when have have them renewed.... With the new Home land Security act... It is going to cost about $150.00 to have a back ground check done when you renew the licence..... :angry:

lawnman_scott
02-18-2005, 12:30 PM

You guys that have CDL's get ready when have have them renewed.... With the new Home land Security act... It is going to cost about $150.00 to have a back ground check done when you renew the licence..... :angry:
when does this take effect?

lawnman_scott
02-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Never have heard of class E....actually a class e is a drivers license. So I guess to awnser the original question, yes he does need a class e.

out4now
02-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Passenger endorsements are for 15 people or more in a single vehicle. What's the guy doing driving his crews in a bus? I have a class A. Still keep it even though I don't use it anymore.

greenngrow
02-18-2005, 12:38 PM
when does this take effect?
Now.......

TMlawncare
02-18-2005, 01:00 PM
A class f is an ordinary license. A class E is considered a chauffeurs license.

lawnman_scott
02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Now.......
well it must be for hasmat only, because I re-newed last week and didnt have to have a background check.

greenngrow
02-18-2005, 09:26 PM
well it must be for hasmat only, because I re-newed last week and didnt have to have a background check.
You are correct..... But if you are a custom applicatior it is not a bad idea to have them......

But it is only for the Haz Mat endorsement

dforbes
02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
We have been in business full-time since 1996. Recently I had a friend of mine asked if I had a class E license since I was a "for hire" company. Until now I really haven't given it much thought. I have just a reg. drivers license. Its my company, do I need anything else. I have a couple employees that ride along with me, but next year one will be driving since were starting a second crew. Does he need a class E? I would like to here what your thoughts are and what you have. I know it will vary state to state.

Since you own the company and are driving your vehicle with no air brakes you should not need a class E license. This is a pretty grey area in Missouri. DOT told me that as long as my people were not getting paid to drive they did not need a class E license. Of coarse this is hard to do. To avoid all problems it would be best for you and your drivers to just get the license, it is a simple test and I think it only cost $15- $20. If you get stopped and have the liscense they may not check the rest of your truck out. I would suggest you get a copy of DOT rules and equipt your truck accordingly.
Also keep in mind that when you hook a trailer to your truck you fall under federal DOT rules no matter what you have on the trailer.

TMlawncare
02-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks Dennis, just trying to minimize some problems this summer.

JKOOPERS
02-19-2005, 01:28 AM
i know here in missouri you need a class E if you are driving a vehicle with a co logo on it. the co i used to work for made all thier drivers get one when one of the guys got stopped by highway patrol . that officer followed the driver back to the shop to tell the owners the situation. by the way the class E is only a written test . i have a class B with air brakes.

MOlawnman
02-19-2005, 02:03 AM
A class E in the State of Missouri is good for vehicles up to 24,000 pounds. For anything 24,001 lbs and over you will need a CDL class B.

aries
02-19-2005, 09:29 AM
I have my class A CDL to pull around my backhoe and dump truck with air brakes!

green with envy
02-19-2005, 09:45 AM
In Michigan if you drive any commercial vehicle as normal part of your job.
You must have a Chauffeurs license. That will cover you up to 26,000 GVW or 26,000 CGVW or towing a trailer up to 10,000 lbs. If you go over those weights you have to get a CDL A endorsement.

A commercial vehicle is any vehicle used "for Hire". A pick up hauling a mower is considered a commercial vehicle.

That's how it works in Mi.

Mike

Illini_Fan
02-19-2005, 09:57 AM

I have held a commercial license for almost 30 years. Unlike most truck drivers, that think they know everything, I really do know everything and we never lie. Just kidding, but we never lie. Anyhow, the background check and fee only apply, if you want the hazmat endorsement. I dropped my hazmat on my last renewal, because I would have had to drive 100 miles to a drivers facility that was able to give me the hazmat test. After all the years that I had it, I thought that was ridiculous. Apparently, they think the next terrorist is going to be someone they are tracking. On the other hand, I don't have a better solution. Yet! :cool:

GTLC
02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Let me ask a question to all you CDL holders, how much does it cost to get your class A?

Jackman
02-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Let me ask a question to all you CDL holders, how much does it cost to get your class A?

Well this may help you, 20 years ago I check a truck driving school they wanted 2800 dollars for a very intense 5 week course not haveing that kind of money I found a course at my local Vocational school took a 6 week course 2 nights a week for 780 dollars and presto I got my license..... You can also sign on with a large company some will send you to school provided you work for cheap under contract.......

KINGjosh
02-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I have my class D. Just took the written test and payed $20 i think.

lawnman_scott
02-28-2005, 01:19 AM
If you really want it bad, try to get a job in the winter when your slow with a beer or soda company. Some are constantly hiring, and you will get it in a month or so, then quit. And you will get paid and appriciate being self employed.

GTLC
03-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, you see, my family owns a huge trucking company, I don't think they will be willing to pay for it though.

allseasonslawn
03-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes you and your employees that drive need at least a Class "E" in missouri. Watch out for MO DOT. They are hot and heavy over any company pulling trailers this last year. We was stopped 3 times in Independence and checked over and scaled 1 time since we had a 18' trailer full of mulch and had to wait for another truck to take some of the mulch off since we was over weight on the trailer. They go by the number of axles not your licensed weight.

If you don't have signs on your truck GET THEM thats another hot item this year they are writing tickets like hot cakes to businesses without signs on truck.

Shuter
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a CDL with all endorsements.

Movinfr8
03-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Class A with X,P,T,E endorsements.
Motorcycle, straight truck, doubles,triples, tankers, busses. With Hazmat, except for Radioactive.
If it has wheels, I am liscensed to drive it.
required for my dayjob.
Norm

Garth
03-25-2005, 01:58 AM
I have a commercial license with passenger endorsement and have paid for my job-coaches to do the same. Here in CA, if you transport developmentally- disabled adults you must have this license as well as first aid and CPR training. On top of that we must have a physical every two years to keep our license. I didn't have that many headaches when I got my Qualified Applicator's license, but I am glad to have it. We paid $65 to take the test. I passed the first time around then came the job coach for the landscape crew and finally, on the third try came my janitorial coach.

MDMowing
03-25-2005, 03:27 PM
I have a class B CDL with Passenger Endorsment and air brakes. But the NEW laws taking effect really suck.

Effective this year I will also need an "S" endorsment.

Stupid Government anyway! Always looking for more ways to suck $$$ out of honest hard working tax payers!

mikeyshane331
03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
it must be different everywhere, i am sitting here with my tennessee driver's liscense book in front of me and here in tennessee, we dont even have class "E" liscenses. We have A, B, C, D( which is the regular liscenses) and H, M, P, and F( this is the For Hire, is this what you all are talking about as being the E