PDA

View Full Version : Making a change

ScCo
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
The following will come as no surprise to those of you who have ever been part of a partnership, but nonetheless I'll state it anyway.

The guy I (reluctantly) went into business with has decided that he wants to play the quantity/low baller game as opposed to being patient in growth and picking up quality accounts. Thus prompting me to allow him to buy out my part of the company so that I'm not involved with the company when things go down hill. I don't want to be any part of the lowballing game as I'm not interested in working my tail off day and night to make less money that I could make working elsewhere...with much less headache.

...so i'm now, no longer a part owner of a company.

The good news:

After meeting with the owner of the longest standing, most well-established company in my area, it looks like I'm going to have a job as a crew leader for one of his maintenance crews. The contracts he maintains are 100% commercial and are all very high quality, high profile accounts, which emphasize a quality finished product over "get it done as fast as possible and cut as many corners as possible." I'm going to be making almost us much as I alotted for my salary in the company I was co-owner of, and not having all the extra work to do after the sun goes down.

The change in paths is something I'm excited about at this point as I can learn a great deal from the company i'm likely to go to work for and make a good living with a lot less stress than I have been under up until recently.

The main point of this thread is to reiterrate that for 99.99999% of people, partnerships suck. The secondary point being that I'm excited about the new direction that things are taking, and I'm looking forward to working for a company of the caliber of the one that i'm going (99% sure) to be working for in the very near future.

Hope the upcoming season goes well for everyone,

ScCo

Gilla Gorilla
02-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Good luck in your new avenue that you are taking. It does sound like you will have a lot more free time on your hands when it comes to nights and weekends.

Im sure you will enjoy it.

Justin

rodfather
02-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you found what you're looking for...congrats and best of luck with the new position.

Mark McC
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
I think it's a great move. Nothing like learning the business on someone else's dime. You know the old adage...the school of experience is a great teacher, but the tuition is a ba**-buster. When you're ready to tackle it all on your own again, you'll do very well.

pgiambat
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Way to stick to your guns. I've had SO many people "Offer" to work with and for me. My answer has always rhymed with 'NO'. I like running things my way, the right way!

ScCo
02-19-2005, 12:52 AM
thanks for the support. It was a bit of a tough decision in that I'm having to go back to working "for" someone else, but I felt it better to be working for someone who I share beliefs with (on how things should be done), as opposed to working with someone who I feel has a business plan destin for failure.

there are 5 men at the company I'm going to work for who all have various college degrees ranging from business degrees to landscape architecture, horticulture, etc. I'm fairly sure that I'll gain a lot of very useful knowledge through working with them.

Again, thanks for the support...glad to know I wasn't thinking way off base ;)

ScCo

aries
02-19-2005, 09:57 AM
I was also in a partner ship years ago until I was feed up with all the bull went on my own walked away with nothing no accounts no equipment nada! it has taken many years to get back into it and on my feet but I never looked back! Good luck to you and maybe u too someday will go back.