PDA

View Full Version : Lawn & Landscape Magazine

Bull_11
02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I read someone mention Lawn & Landscape Magazine on this board and I was wondering if the magazine was useful or not. I'm looking to get into the lawn care business and I'm looking for literature about it to read up on. Is this magazine something I should check out?

Also, I went to their website, but was unable to find out how much their subscriptions were. I doubt I'd qualify for a free subscription since I don't run my own business, so I'd probably have to pay. Does anyone know what their rate is?

I performed a search, but wasn't able to find the information I was looking for. Thanks for any help!

Brian

Jason Rose
02-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Should be easy to get a free subscription to any of these magazines. Just sign up as the business owner of "your business name" which is exactly what you are, they don't care if you are solo or a owner of a multi-million dollar a year enterprize. I'm solo and get more free magazines each month than I can look at!

Oh, almost forgot. the one drawback to free is the phone calls you will start receiving from the magazines to "renew your free subscription" as well as all the companies wanting you to buy postage meters for mail and wanting you to get a credit card machine. I hate telemarketers. Point is make sure to use your home phone number and not your cell phone like I did. Nothing more aggrivating than getting a call in the middle of mowing a lawn and it being some person that barley speaks english trying to get my subscription information for the 3rd time this year...

gogetter
02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Considering it's free, I'd say it's definitely worth getting.

There was some really great info in the most recent edition. They had the results of surveys that they did with homeowners and commercial customers. It was titled "What Your Customers Really Think".
Some interesting stuff!

Green lawns
02-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Lawn and Landscape is a good magazine for our type of work. You can fill out their form on-line at their web-site to get your free subsciption. I think it will take 3 to 4 weeks for your first issue to arrive.

Bull_11
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! Any other publications you guys would recommend?

tiedeman
02-18-2005, 02:08 PM
L & L this month is jammed packed. That is starting to be the only magazine that offers really good solid information. All the others are just complete advertisement I feel.

Its also better than reading stuff with Mr. Cassidy in it. I just received their new "Tree Services" magazine and even David says, "I've been known to go off the deep end over such topics in my little editorials - you might find that amusing from time to time." Sorry David, I don't think it's amusing

Tvov
02-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I have always liked Grounds Maintenance magazine.

http://www.grounds-mag.com/

RIVERRATT01
02-18-2005, 03:42 PM
THERE IS A SERVICE THE U.S GOVERMENT HAS .. WWW.DONOTCALL.GOV , GO THERE REGESTER YOUR PHONE NUMBERS.THAT WILL STOP THE TELEMARKETERS FROM BUGGING YOU. EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS, CELL PHONES NUMBERS TOO..

mtdman
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I get them all, and read none of them. They usually end up in the trash as soon as I get them. Mostly, they are advertisements and stuff geared toward the larger companies. Which does not interest me.

gogetter
02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
THERE IS A SERVICE THE U.S GOVERMENT HAS .. WWW.DONOTCALL.GOV , GO THERE REGESTER YOUR PHONE NUMBERS.THAT WILL STOP THE TELEMARKETERS FROM BUGGING YOU. EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS, CELL PHONES NUMBERS TOO..

What the hell are you talking about?????
:confused:

RIVERRATT01
02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Should be easy to get a free subscription to any of these magazines. Just sign up as the business owner of "your business name" which is exactly what you are, they don't care if you are solo or a owner of a multi-million dollar a year enterprize. I'm solo and get more free magazines each month than I can look at!

Oh, almost forgot. the one drawback to free is the phone calls you will start receiving from the magazines to "renew your free subscription" as well as all the companies wanting you to buy postage meters for mail and wanting you to get a credit card machine. I hate telemarketers. Point is make sure to use your home phone number and not your cell phone like I did. Nothing more aggrivating than getting a call in the middle of mowing a lawn and it being some person that barley speaks english trying to get my subscription information for the 3rd time this year... THIS IS WHAT THE H E L L I AM TALKING ABOUT. CAN YOU FIGURE IT OUT NOW? UN WANTED PHONE CALLS.

gogetter
02-18-2005, 04:43 PM
THIS IS WHAT THE H E L L I AM TALKING ABOUT. CAN YOU FIGURE IT OUT NOW? UN WANTED PHONE CALLS.

First, please turn off the CAPS!!!! Secondly, it helps if you quote the part of the post you're referring to (as you did in your last post, thank you). This way, people will know exactly what you're talking about.
And thirdly, I haven't gotten any calls from any of the 5 or 6 green indsutry magazines that I subscribe to in the 3-4 years I've been subscribing to them.

tiedeman
02-18-2005, 05:00 PM
have to agree with gogetter on the caps, typing, and phone calls. I have only received one phone call, and that was from Grounds Maintenance

RIVERRATT01
02-18-2005, 05:07 PM
First, please turn off the CAPS!!!! Secondly, it helps if you quote the part of the post you're referring to (as you did in your last post, thank you). This way, people will know exactly what you're talking about.
And thirdly, I haven't gotten any calls from any of the 5 or 6 green indsutry magazines that I subscribe to in the 3-4 years I've been subscribing to them.
yes mama.. SORT OF EXPLAINS IT'S SELF, IF YOU WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO SEE THE WEB SITE. I HAVE TELEMARKETERS CALL VERY OFTEN BUT THEN I BUY A LOT OF STUFF... THIS IS HOW YOU SPELL. INDUSTRY'S NOT INDSUTRY.. SENSE WE ARE GOING TO CORRECT EACH OTHER...

tiedeman
02-18-2005, 07:30 PM
if he is your mama can I be your dada.....STOP USING CAPS!

Fareway Lawncare
02-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Too Bad most of you Kids missed the Hay Days of the old L&L Message Board...The Green Industry's Final Frontier...The Wild Wild West...this Place is a Candy Store compared to the Old Board..

Gone but Not Forgotten.

RIP L&L

The Magazine is the Best in the Business by Far.

1MajorTom
02-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Riverrat,
Welcome to lawnsite, glad you are here enjoying the forum, and we look forward to hearing more from you. However, you must turn off your caps. thanks.
I finally got L&L to stop calling our house. Over and over and over again they would call. Wouldn't matter what I said, they just kept calling. I was nice, I was mean, I was rude, I even said that the owner died, but nothing worked. I mean 3 or 4 times a week we were getting these calls asking us to verify our information to see if it was correct. I cancelled our subscription simply because they were the biggest pain in the butt. Even after the subscription was cancelled, the calls still kept coming in. Finally, they stopped. Let's hope I don't jinx myself, and they start again.

polecat63
02-18-2005, 07:53 PM
L & L is for biz owners and not homeowners. So as long as you have a biz in the green industry it is free. As far as L& L 's message board is concerned....I used to post on there quite often, but too many prima donnas and outright A holes ruined it. IMHO. That's why I came to this forum and haven't regreted the switch since. I travel over there now and again to see if it's changed. Last time I checked it was much better, but I can't get past the crapy way the forum is set up.
However, the magazine and the site is chock full of info that every LCO needs and can use. It is one of the finest publications I've seen for this industry, and my petty feelings about their forum won't keep me from reading it or visiting their site.

all ferris
02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
L & L is too middle of the road. I would like to see a mag that does comparsion test on mowers and actually picks a winner (L & L does not do this). Is there a mag that does comparsion tests on mowers and other equipment? I just started to get turf mag and it seems better than L & L.
L & L always has a special article on a different company every month and I could really care less about how other companies got started. I want to see how to articles, comparisons, Q & A, reviews on new equipment, and maybe even some purdy girls on mowers :D . If this does not exist maybe I should start my own mag.

YardPro
02-18-2005, 08:49 PM
THIS IS WHAT THE H E L L I AM TALKING ABOUT. CAN YOU FIGURE IT OUT NOW? UN WANTED PHONE CALLS.

don't be an idiot.
your post came out of the blue. In no way was anyone talking about any telemarketing, etc....

also before you correct someone i can have a field day with youe posts in this thread.

unwanted is one word...

shall i go on.....

and turn off the caps...

lafrance4078
02-18-2005, 09:02 PM
OK, I think that we can all agree that the CAPS are poor style. We all know that some people can't spell (me included) and I'm sure that he appriciates the grammer corrections. Can we be done with it. Second, TURF says that they have a great buyers guide, but all that they do is list the equip. I recieve several mags each month. I enjoy them but the adds get in the way of providing the info that I would like to see. Third, and lastly, I can't stand to see all of the articles about and reguarding the golf industry. I realize that they are a huge part of the market, and turf grass maint. in the sports industry if a million dollar bus, but so are we. I hope the mags see this post!

stumper1620
02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
don't be an idiot.
your post came out of the blue. In no way was anyone talking about any telemarketing, etc....

also before you correct someone i can have a field day with youe posts in this thread.

unwanted is one word...

shall i go on.....

and turn off the caps...

I think Jodi scared him away. :confused: :blob1: :blob4: :blob3: