PDA

View Full Version : wood chips

rosolar
02-18-2005, 01:07 PM
anyone used wood chips for a top layer of a temporary driveway? I have a bunch of brush and trees that I plan on chipping and wanted to spread them over the temp. driveway which is currently just the ground. I have never seen this done, but it would be useful if possible. thanks

Jay Ray
02-22-2005, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't do it because it may be creating a termite heaven and it likely wouldn't last all that long. There might not be much interlocking strength between chips to provide much support. Sorry I can't give you a better outlook on this, but then it is only my opinion, I haven't run the experiment to get the facts.

dishboy
02-22-2005, 09:26 AM
anyone used wood chips for a top layer of a temporary driveway? I have a bunch of brush and trees that I plan on chipping and wanted to spread them over the temp. driveway which is currently just the ground. I have never seen this done, but it would be useful if possible. thanks

Works great, but you need a depth of around six or seven inches. Will also improve your soil under the chips

Do a google search under Ramial wood chips for reseach concerning using wood chips for improving soil quality.

LawnMowerBoy48
02-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I've seen woodchips used as a temporary fix to muddy driveways and worksites.

Jay Ray
02-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestion to search Ramial wood chips Dishboy. Was surprised to learn the smaller branches are higher in lignin, and that thick layers of newspaper can be used for a mulch barrier with wood chips over them.