PDA

View Full Version : Buying Trailer Need Advice

joallen001
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
I am fixing to have a trailer built (next week). My options are 6.5x14. I priced a single for $855 and a tandem axle for $1075. I would prefer to have the single and may just get it 13foot long. Am I gonna make a mistake by doing this. The axle is 3500. Also this trailer was priced with a side a rear gate. The side gate will be 42 inches wide, I wanna try to get it 48" wide though. He said the wider the side gate the more it will angle down towards that side or something like that. Currently I have a 60" super z and plan on purchasing a walk behind this year. That is when the side gate will come in handy. Any advice and help would be great.

joallen001
02-18-2005, 09:06 PM
11 views and no opinion, surely somebody has something

treemeat
02-18-2005, 09:13 PM
one thing I say about a trailer--if you can only afford one, get at least a 14' tandem. If you ever do any hauling you will probably end up overloading whichever you get, so go with the tandem.

Maybe it will be used only for mowers you say--but what if you need to move or have to haul off a load of logs from a tree that fell in your yard or you want to rent a skid-steer or get a load of dirt?

also a tandem rides smoother, bounces the mowers less.

j fisher
02-18-2005, 09:23 PM
one thing I say about a trailer--if you can only afford one, get at least a 14' tandem. If you ever do any hauling you will probably end up overloading whichever you get, so go with the tandem.

Maybe it will be used only for mowers you say--but what if you need to move or have to haul off a load of logs from a tree that fell in your yard or you want to rent a skid-steer or get a load of dirt?

also a tandem rides smoother, bounces the mowers less.

What he said

stumper1620
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
11 views and no opinion, surely somebody has something
with your intended equipment, this requires no thought bigger is better.
I have a 16' 2 axle & wish it was 20', that space goes quick when you start loading grass clippings or any other extras, and it really sucks to find out you can't fit your mowers on after all the leaves, ect. are loaded.
best advice is you never ever have a trailer thats too big, you will find out small is the worst mistake you can make. unless you like buying trailers. :D
you wanted an opinion so there is mine.

joallen001
02-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the help. guess its gonna be tandem

joallen001
02-19-2005, 04:50 AM
I will be pulling the trailer with a 2003 TAcoma 3.4

GarPA
02-19-2005, 05:55 AM
have to agree with the guys above. Tandem axle is a must...and if you can afford it, I would strongly recommend 16ft over a 14ft. We use enclosed trailers and for a small operation I can tell you that the first 14ft was a big mistake...and we are a small company like you. You will thank yourself many times if you buy at least 16ft...and you will kick yourself a few times each year when you are out of space on the 14. The difference in cost and weight between the 2 sizes is small compared to the added utility you'll get with a 16ft. Your tandem axle will most likely need brakes (thats the law in PA) ...and those braks are often needed when the trlailer is fully loaded

joallen001
02-19-2005, 06:08 AM
Maybe I should go ahead and buy the 16ft then. Me and a friend are planning to buy a nursery when we graduate college in December.

GarPA
02-19-2005, 06:15 AM
I dont know how much experience you have pulling a trailer but dont worry about manuvering a 16 footer...piece of cake after a week or so....and an open trailer is a whole lot easier to drive than an enclosed as you can see behind you much better whereas the enclosed blocks most of your rear view

joallen001
02-19-2005, 06:23 AM
I have pulled a 6x10 for quite a few years, so I think the biggest difference in a 16ft would be the brakes for me cause my trailer now doesnt have brakes.