PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane Info

QC Lawn Services
02-18-2005, 04:11 PM
We want to know what LCOs think of Great Dane mowers, especially the WB Scamper model. We have been given a pretty good price on a new one, but we don't know much about the mowers themselves. We do know that they are owned by John Deere and are made in the same plant in NC. We would like some feedback on quality, durability, ease of use. Thanks.

gogetter
02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Searching titles only, I came up with this to get you started:

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=190421

QC Lawn Services
02-18-2005, 05:07 PM
gogetter, thanks for the link. The people who have the mowers, for the most part really like them. We would look at a Super Surfer, but my partner weighs 300+ and we are afraid that the extra weight, along with the actual weight of the mower itself might cause some problems on our residential lawns.

gogetter
02-18-2005, 05:20 PM
my partner weighs 300+

In that case, it might be best that he runs behind a WB for a while anyway! LOL!
Just kidding! I can make that joke, 'cause I'm fat myself! ;-)

QC Lawn Services
02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
gogetter, my partner takes it in stride. In fact, one of the reasons we started the business is for him and myself to get in better shape. Last summer was our first and it was good for both of us, but we have more to go. We expect this summer to be as busy and hopefully we will both mold ourselves into "new" persons!! LOL

truenorthlandscaping
02-18-2005, 05:32 PM
I've demo'd Great Danes twice, & I don't like them. I've WANTED to like them, because they've got better dealer support around here & have done a good job marketing them. We use Wright, the Standers & the Sentar. They're the original & they just 'feel' better to me & the guys. We've got 2 for sale on the Used Equipment Site, & on E-Bay... We just bought 3 more.

K&L Landscaping
02-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I have had great luck with the yellow dogs. They seem to take a beating on this site for whatever reason, probably from guy's who have never used one. I had a Toro Pro Line before my GD and the GD blows it away in all areas (cut quality, durability, etc...). Great Danes are fairly popular in our area since the factory is in NC. Look at it this way, it is a John Deere with yellow paint for all intents and purposes. My advice, go get one and love it for year's to come.

Legacy
02-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Excellent luck here with the Great Dane products. I have tried several and over the past 3 years have bought a Scamper WB and a Super Surfer. Both good machines, excellent cut but the Super Surfer is just awesome!!

dhess
02-19-2005, 04:16 PM
We demoed a 36" Great Dane Super Surfer last year which I was impressed with. We were in hopes of using this instead of a normal walk behind on residential yards.

After using it for about 5 days I found it was still too hard to keep the machine from tearing divets into small yards when turning (mainly when it was wet). At the time I heard a rumor that Great Dane was going to change the wheels on the 36" in hopes to improve this problem (bigger wheels).

Anyone have a list of changes on the new 2005 SS models compared to the older versions?

Legacy
02-19-2005, 06:21 PM
We demoed a 36" Great Dane Super Surfer last year which I was impressed with. We were in hopes of using this instead of a normal walk behind on residential yards.

After using it for about 5 days I found it was still too hard to keep the machine from tearing divets into small yards when turning (mainly when it was wet). At the time I heard a rumor that Great Dane was going to change the wheels on the 36" in hopes to improve this problem (bigger wheels).

Anyone have a list of changes on the new 2005 SS models compared to the older versions?

There are a TON of changes on the 2005 Super Surfers. I saw them at a trade show a few weeks ago. No 36" yet though...