PDA

View Full Version : merging

HOMER
05-16-2000, 10:15 PM
Has anyone entertained the thought of you and a friend in the business helping each other out to minimize the # of employees you would have to use? I have one, and only one, friend that mows and has roughly the same # of accounts. We have kicked around the idea of &quot;helping&quot; each other, not actually merging and splitting money. I don't know how well this would work in the summer months, but in the off season we could surely work together and keep up just fine without paying any helpers. Just a thought, I aint going into a partnership with anybody else this lifetime!<p>Homer

CA Enterprises
05-17-2000, 01:49 AM
Homer,<p>Me and fried here have discussed the same ideas. First we talked about helping each other play catch up when it is needed(which is just about always). The problem is that I don't know how you could do this with out having problems. The only thing we decided was that if I needed him to catch a yard or two that he would get the full price of that yard for that cut and visa versa. I don't think you could work the same yard at the same time because then you end up losing money due to cutting your income in half. Granted it would be half the time but you still drove there and still have to pay for the maintenance on the mowers and the down time in between stops.<p>We haven't discussed it since Feb. However, I still get some calls from him when someone wants a bid and it is on my side of town. I will call him in the same respect. This keeps us working a smaller area instead running all over town. As you know this takes up time and money. This only works well because he works one side and I work the other. If two people were working the same side I don't think it would work.<br> <br>Also, not sure if it was a real good idea, but we both disclosed what we charge and how we bid that way when we refer each other we're not inconsistent. We both charge by the time and for residential we charge $30-$35/hr. and commercial $40-$45. It helps so we don't low ball each other. We also shy away from doing public bids so we don't step on each others toes. We both have enough we don't need this.<p>If you do it let me know how it goes. <p>Sorry for ramblinglol!!<p>Adam:)

HOMER
05-17-2000, 06:19 AM
Adam, I wouldn't swap any money in my scenario, it would be my labor and my equipment only. Thats where the problem lies, I don't know if it would benefit us on residentials but we could assist each other on some of the larger properties that take 2-3 hrs.<p>If I were to start paying him for his time, then he would have to pay me for mine. The whole idea is to do more, or stay caught up, without having to take on any additional helpers. The monetary savings would be enough right there. We would still bid our own lawns and collect payments from them as well and never transfer any money unless we bid a job together. We could double our equipment inventory this way without the need to purchase any more. <p>I thought about one more guy who started last yea, he bought out a service but has no annual accounts. I talked to him the other day and hes waiting for the phone to ring before he cuts anything! I let him know he was gonna struggle until he set up accounts on a yearly basis. He might be a good candidate to use and I could assist him in getting his business up and running. Right now its him and his wife, just like me! I just hate to pay help, I don't know why, but I know do there is a better way.<p>Homer

CA Enterprises
05-17-2000, 06:38 AM
Homer,<p>I agree, I don't like the idea of swaping monetary gains either. The only other problem would be how do keep fair and do the same amount of work for him that he would do for you? I think if we ponder this a while we could come up with something, but it really seems like a big headache.<p>Adam:)

Charles
05-17-2000, 08:11 PM
YOu can share your money with me Homer. Of course i live much to far away to help you any. But I will show up for the cookouts. Just put the checks in the mail. Email me for my address.:)