PDA

View Full Version : Towing with mud grips?

mownredneck
02-18-2005, 08:41 PM
I am thinking about buying some mud king mud tires and I was wondering if they wouuld wear faster towing a trailer? Also how would they tow on the pavement?

Smalltimer1
02-21-2005, 11:30 AM
I am thinking about buying some mud king mud tires and I was wondering if they wouuld wear faster towing a trailer? Also how would they tow on the pavement?

What is the purpose of the mud tires?

Yes, they will wear out faster while towing and while on pavement, they are not made for on road travel, and you also have a higher risk of hydroplaning with them since they do not have any water channels in the treads. You'll be lucky to see 15,000 miles with mud grips. You'll also have to deal with lots of road noise and harsh handling.

Mudslingers do not make good work trucks, period.

mownredneck
02-22-2005, 08:39 PM
It all depends on how you drive. One of my buddies has a set of Bridgstone Dueler Mud grips and so for he has gottin 50,000 ml. out of them. The piont in mud grips? MUD RIDDIN AND HUNTIN. I like to get a lttle crazy on the weekends. As for the road noise, I like to be heard- I like for my exhaust to be loud and when Im coming down the road I want people to say hear that hum?....... Here comes MATT! But I know that they dont do good on work trucks but, Its all I got right know. Its my hunting, and my work truck. I think I'll just get a set of Sport King A/T's. Anybody run these before?

lwcmattlifter
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
I installed a set of Wild Country TXR's on my 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel about 20,000 miles ago and they have about half the tread left. I bought them because they were cheap and I need a mud tire when I cut trees for firewood and for driving in the mulch and topsoil pits. I have towed 10,000lb trailers without problems with these tires. If you are going to tow get a tire that is D or E load range. I got my tires siped and it helped performance in water and ice a lot. It does void most warranties though. I think my next tires will be Goodyear Workhorse's. I have heard those tires will last.

Smalltimer1
02-22-2005, 11:39 PM
It all depends on how you drive. One of my buddies has a set of Bridgstone Dueler Mud grips and so for he has gottin 50,000 ml. out of them. The piont in mud grips? MUD RIDDIN AND HUNTIN. I like to get a lttle crazy on the weekends. As for the road noise, I like to be heard- I like for my exhaust to be loud and when Im coming down the road I want people to say hear that hum?....... Here comes MATT! But I know that they dont do good on work trucks but, Its all I got right know. Its my hunting, and my work truck. I think I'll just get a set of Sport King A/T's. Anybody run these before?

My Bridgestone Duelers saw 40,000 miles but mine were A/T's and they were completely bald when I replaced them 2 months ago with Uniroyal Laredo A/T's.

I never take my truck in the mud unless I absolutely have to because mud eats u-joints and messes up seals and bearings. I used to want to mudsling, but after I saw how much trouble it caused in my friends trucks I decided it wasn't worth it. I hunt as well, but I walk into where I'm going so I don't get heard coming in to the area. I also like to fish......and mudders don't do well on boat ramps....... :help:

Guthrie&Co
02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
aren't they called mud tires anyway? i have a friend that calls em mud grips and i hate it. it just something about i cant stand.

Smalltimer1
02-24-2005, 12:30 AM
The other thing about mud grips/tires/lugs/whateveryacallem is that IMO they look unprofessional on a work truck. I mean what would you think if you were a customer and your lawn care guy came to mow on a full size farm tractor with ag lug tires to boot?

moneyman
02-24-2005, 01:48 AM
The other thing about mud grips/tires/lugs/whateveryacallem is that IMO they look unprofessional on a work truck. I mean what would you think if you were a customer and your lawn care guy came to mow on a full size farm tractor with ag lug tires to boot?

I dont think they look unprofesional, If you get a size that is way to big and stick out the fender flares then i can see your point. I got Mud type tires factory size, looks like regular ole tires. I cant tell a difference in the tread unless one looked up close and knew what they were loooking at. If a customer did that, well he would proably be mowing his own lawn.

Scag48
02-24-2005, 07:19 PM
I put BFG All Terrain T/A's on my truck. Great mud tires but aren't strictly made for mudding. They're more of an all terrain tire, as stated by the name, but I've never gotten stuck with them in the mud. Plus, they look great on my truck and I'm getting hardly any road noise with them. Great tire.

ksss
02-24-2005, 07:47 PM
The heat build up from towing heavy is hard on the typically soft rubber compound used on mud tires. I used to buy Kelly MSR's, great traction tire in mud or snow but I couldn't get much for wear out of them. The Goodyear Workhorses seem to hold up real well under heavy loads and offer decent traction. They don't bite as good as the Kelly but I am getting about a third more mileage out of them. I am about to buy another set for my dually.

mownredneck
02-24-2005, 08:04 PM

Well I live in Alabamea, that is what most of my buddies run down here year round, not on work trucks thought. I've pulled up to people's houses with my truck covered in mud they really dont seem to care, but only on days I cant wash my truck. It really doesn't help thought seen as how my paint is flakin off and paint and rust. Workin on gettin a newer truck this year, its gettin imbarrasing.

Smalltimer1
02-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes I live in the South too, and I love having a good time, and if I had an extra truck I would love to go mudslingin' as well, but at this time, being in college, I can't afford a beater truck to play with. Maybe after I graduate I'll be able to have some fun. What I'm saying is that if you mow in a developed area (housing development/high rent dist./etc.) those tires will draw a lot of negative attention from the yankee transplants. Shoot the majority of the area where I work/mow/etc. at home could care less, but the first time I'd drive down into a yankee infiltrated housing development (5 of these w/450 houses ea. at home) with my truck covered in mud with knobby tires, I'm sure I'd hear something like "take your mud bucket somewhere else" or they'd come up with some excuse to drop me for being unprofessional. In my position, I need all the money I can get, and I can't risk losing $$$$ for something that I could prevent.

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM

Yeah we run Sport King A/Ts on one of our trucks and there great. Good for pullin and good messing in the mud too.

stroker51
04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
My 96 Powerstroke had bridgestone duelers on it when i bought it,and all but one were really bald, and i drove an additional 5k on them before i replaced them with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers, which is like an all-terrain, 10ply E range. At 5K I had A LOT of wear on the back ones. The truck was bone stock then, so it wasnt from too much power to the ground, they were just junk. Tire place replaced them with Hankook M/T's at my request, only he only ordered like 6 or 8 ply C range tires. I have had them on for 20K, and the only real wear noticable is where my front end wore the right one funny from being out of alignment, and me not rotating when I should. I pull a 16' open w/ 2 w/bs, a Z, and the 21" 2 or 3 days a week, and a gooseneck dump or 25' flatbed most of the other time. Tread is still probably 50%, and that is almost all on pavement when i pull. I try not to get my truck in the mud, but when you drive out in the sod field and have to cross the irrigation pivot tire rut or somthing, that is gonna be muddy pretty much guaranteed, not to mention that accidents do happen. My dad has those sport kings on his F150, and that is what i am getting next time, just cuz i dont need a m/t, his have at least 40K, and still probably 25-30% tread.

Brendan Smith
04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
all i have run for the last 5 years, usually get about 40k miles out of a set with proper rotation. i hunt alot and some of the boat landings i use are unimproved, so to me it's worth never having to walk out.

Brendan Smith
04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
meant to say all i have run is the mud kings - sorry