PDA

View Full Version : Dealer got mad at me today.

Turf Dancer
02-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I went to see my Stihl dealer today, my Stihl hedge trimmer was not running properly and I was tired of messing with it. So the mechanic who it also the manager came out to the truck and saw my Red Max eb7001 backpack blower and had a fit. He asked me what the hell was I thinking buying anything but a Stihl? I told him that it can blow a Stihl out of the water, I think that may be the end of my top notch service from them! He was really mad about this! It kind of ticked me off because I have bought almost all my small stuff from them and now he gets pissed over 1 blower!

Carolina Cuts
02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
hmmm.... not that I agree with him,(because he shouldn't have shown his anger) ... but in his defense... how would you feel if your BEST/Long lasting/loyal customer decided to have someone other then you cut his lawn one time? :angry:

Maybe our service/product guys expect the same loyalty that we expect from our customers...

just a thought...

greenngrow
02-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey Man,

Don't sweat it....

He will get over it. And if he don't just go out and get a Red max trimmer..... :)

He doesn't sound very professional. He sound like a BIG Baby :cry:

dvmcmrhp52
02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
hmmm.... not that I agree with him,(because he shouldn't have shown his anger) ... but in his defense... how would you feel if your BEST/Long lasting/loyal customer decided to have someone other then you cut his lawn one time? :angry:

Maybe our service/product guys expect the same loyalty that we expect from our customers...

just a thought...

Only one problem with this...........
Stihl products are well built and dependable.......I know.
BUT..........Their 420 backpack blower sucks in comparison to the competition.
They dropped the ball in this one area.

LB1234
02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I can understand him being upset...especially if you did not even speak with him about the stihl backpack blower before you purchased the redmax.

With that said...he's got no right to be 'mad' at you. I dunno where he thinks that is going to get him with your company. Personally, I would have just turned and said something along the lines of hey if Stihl made a backpack blower that met my needs I would purchase it..they don't (If you feel that's the case).

impactlandscaping
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a personal problem to me..I dealt with the same dealer for all my handheld and mowing equipment for 4 years. I switched to Wright Standers last summer, and got rid of all our Snapper mowing equipment. They still sell and service all my Shindaiwa equipment,and are more than happy to rent our large equipment to us(they are a rental center also).

Carolina Cuts
02-18-2005, 10:12 PM
BUT..........Their 420 backpack blower sucks in comparison to the competition.

agreed... but somehow I don't think the dealer 'thought' of this when he saw the Redmax... instead he saw $$$ that he didn't get and was use to getting from the buyer over the years.

Right or wrong.... the dealer shouldn't have acted like a baby about it.

Jozgators
02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
I agree with Greengrow if he can't take it he needs to find a new line of work. I had a similar situation but it turned out positive. Always bought from gravely dealer, in fact I was one of there first buyers. Well needed a new ZTR was looking at Gravely 260 with 28EFI. I was quoted a little above 10grand. Hustler Super Z 28EFI 7900. Bought the hustler not only because of price, just liked the mower better. I still go the gravely dealership and they treat me with the same amount of respect as before. There should be some loyalty but this is a business.

HOOLIE
02-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm all for loyalty, and it helps you out down the road when you're in a bind...BUT...the big difference is, as an LCO we (usually) have contracts/service agreements with our customers. No such agreement with our dealers. I'll sign a service agreement with my dealer if he guarantees next day turnaround on repairs, and promises to call me when something is ready (instead of my calling him, to hear "Oh yeah, that part came in a couple days ago...come on by)

There was also that time he sold "my" new Exmark to a larger company that needed 6 of them right away. I can understand that was a business decision on his part, but don't expect me to buy every single thing from him then.

cutnedge
02-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm partial towards Stihl products myself, but when I find a piece of equipment that outperforms what I currently use, I'll grab it. Dealer loyality isn't even a second thought. If he can't get 'em, I'll find somebody who can. Remember, we're the ones using them on a daily basis.

tiedeman
02-19-2005, 01:28 AM
It's none of his business what you buy or use.

jajwrigh
02-19-2005, 01:54 AM
The dealer will get over it!

VanceTrendov
02-19-2005, 02:05 AM
He should of been nice about it and said the 420 wasn't the best and told you about stihl's new 500, and 550 backpack blower. From what I read it is going to blow everyone else away.

http://www.stihl.ca/pressOffice_release_4mix.asp

cutnedge
02-19-2005, 03:07 AM
[QUOTE=VanceTrendov]He should of been nice about it and said the 420 wasn't the best and told you about stihl's new 500, and 550 backpack blower. From what I read it is going to blow everyone else away.
QUOTE]
The way I see it, he had no right no to sh!t about it. Heck, I still use the BR400 because to me it it is the best blower ever made as far as comfort and power/weight ratio. Not to mention reliability. Of course, I have a more powerful blower that I use in the rare instances that I need it. But sometimes I think the term 'loyality' is overestimated. Where I'm from, we have two different types of dealerships: the dealers that carry homeowner models mostly(murray, weedeater,homelite,etc.) and those that carry the quality commercial equipment that we're all familiar with. The dealers that sale the commercial equipment usually deal with mostly LCO's. So when it comes to customer loyality when a service is needed, I've always been curious how one LCO might be preferred over another LCO--especially since down time is vital to each.

Turf Dancer
02-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey Man,

Don't sweat it....

He will get over it. And if he don't just go out and get a Red max trimmer..... :)

He doesn't sound very professional. He sound like a BIG Baby :cry:

I have a Red Max Trimmer also !

Turf Dancer
02-19-2005, 04:32 AM
If Stihl had a decent Backpack blower at the time I might have considered them but it was just over a year ago and I needed a Backpack Blower. The other dealer is farther away (65 miles) but I needed a solid machine with good power, they had Red Max or Echo and due to previous bad experiences with Echo I bought the Red Max.

MOW ED
02-19-2005, 06:52 AM
I think the dealer is way out of line. You don't show anger to a customer over a thing like this. I deal with vendors all the time and if one bashes anothers product, I usually think that there is another motive. The guy doing the bashing usually gets the walking papers.
On top of that, since when does anyone have to buy all their equipment from one guy? You have commercial equipment and you like different brands for different applications. It wouldn't matter if you put a homeowner trimmer on the trailer as long as you like it and it works for you.
I have 3 kids and when we go out to eat fast food I have to go to 3 different restaraunts because they all like different stuff. Ya know the manager of the McDonalds never told me that I can't order there because my one daughter has Wendys and the other has Burger King in the car.
If that guy was the owner of the dealership, I would find another dealer. If he was just a salesman, I wold definately complain to the owner. Good Luck.

David Grass
02-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Yes, that is insulting to you, the consumer. I have 2 great dealers in the area I get my "stuff" from. Each knows that I research and Demo, and they know that I am going to get what is most efficient. Each expects to see whatever they have that is the best, on my trailer! And they still love me :D

leadarrows
02-19-2005, 08:05 AM
I can describe your dealer with one word. Childish.
First time a vendor of mine acts like that and shows me such a lack of respect and appreciation for my business...I'm gone.The only way I wouldn't drop him is if by doing so I screwed myself somehow.

aries
02-19-2005, 08:09 AM
He should be happy you give him any business everybody is entitled to buy whatever they want, I also bought a Blower this past season in a bind my red max took a dump so I went to the closest shop all they had were sthl bought it hate it no power what was I thinking? now it sits in my garage only used to blow out the shop.