PDA

View Full Version : Another what would you do ?

Olylawnboy
02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
As I was cleaning out a retaining pond area of a new office complex being built and I found a ten foot 3 pt ladder that was out of sight of of the construction going on. I'm sure someone was stealing it and stashed it there to come back to pick it up later. Anyway I asked the four contractors that have been working on the site if they were missing this. Each one of them said "yea that's ours". I'm thinking now, what a bunch of scammers as none of them even came to look at it. So I packed it out and threw it into my truck and took it home. I would like to give it back to the rightfull owner but heck, what do you do when four outfits say that it belongs to them and none of them even takes the time to send someone to even look at it? Much less offer to have someone drag it the hundred yards out of the pond area to get it back. So, should I just keep it or what? I can just imagine the response to an ad in the paper for a lost ladder :) Thanks folks....Oly

bobbygedd
02-18-2005, 11:38 PM
keep it. this is a world of vipers. i found a roll of money at my job one day. posted by the time clock that i found some cash, if the rightful owner could tell me how much it was, i'd return it. i had 12 people saying they lost money and taking guesses. not one of them was within $100 of the true amount. i kept it. keep the ladder

Turf Medic
02-19-2005, 12:07 AM
No way I would have taken the ladder. After you asked everyone on the jobsite, you knew one thing for sure, the ladder didn't belong to you. What are you going to do if the cops show up because somebody reports it missing and the guys you asked give your name or license number. All you need as a business owner is to have your name associated with theft even implied theft.

Olylawnboy
02-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the reply Bob, and btw, I'm a Bob too. Your right about the world of vipers, how sad. I don't even need the thing as I have two others just like it. It just gets my goat to think that all these guys would just claim it, to get it, and not even send someone to check it out much less have one of they're guys to come drag it out. Like I'm going to drag it out all that way for them at no charge :) er, surcharge :)....

Olylawnboy
02-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Turf Medic, I wasn't really clear on this. I know the owner/ developer on this site very well and thanks for your concern, but it's not a real problem as I'm real close to this project. He understands the situation. That being said, what would you do then? Like I said before, I don't need the thing but it seems I'm stuck with it. What should I do?......

tiedeman
02-19-2005, 02:31 AM
I too agree with Turf, I would not have taken it

Turf Medic
02-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Turf Medic, I wasn't really clear on this. I know the owner/ developer on this site very well and thanks for your concern, but it's not a real problem as I'm real close to this project. He understands the situation. That being said, what would you do then? Like I said before, I don't need the thing but it seems I'm stuck with it. What should I do?......

I would have done one of couple of options, I would have left it where it was, dropped it with one of the contractors that claimed ownership, or left it at a "common" materials or scrap area. You may very well end up with a good ladder that will cause you no further concern, but you could also end up with a black mark on your company name. IMO knowing the owner/developer may help clear up any misunderstanding in the end, in the event one of the contractors turn you in, but the damage may very well be done before it gets cleared up.

Randy Scott
02-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Pretty simple, you took something that wasn't yours. I understand the situation and the disregard of the others, but it's not yours. You simply took something that didn't belong to you. Spin it however you want, you stole it.

lawnman_scott
02-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Anyway I asked the four contractors that have been working on the site if they were missing this. Each one of them said "yea that's ours". I'm thinking now, what a bunch of scammers as none of them even came to look at it. So I packed it out and threw it into my truck and took it home. I would like to give it back to the rightfull owner
So you think that their is a better chance that the rightful owner was one of them or you?

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 02:08 PM
bunch of fools, GIVE ME THE DAMN LADDER, i'll take it, then you don't have to worry about it

Turf Medic
02-19-2005, 02:37 PM
bunch of fools, GIVE ME THE DAMN LADDER, i'll take it, then you don't have to worry about it

Wow bobby you suprised me on this one, I know you have been called a lot of names here, and quite a few of them you have worn with pride, but I never figured you would agree with someone taking a tool that didn't belong to them. :nono:

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 02:40 PM
if u see the ladder sitting there, nobody claims it, you ask who it belongs to, nobody claims it, TAKE THE STUPID THING, and get on with your life.

RedWingsDet
02-19-2005, 02:42 PM
IDK what I would have done...

But when I was like 12, I found $20 at a restraunt. I gave it to the waitor and I told him I found it, He went around the restraunt asking if it belonged to them. They all said no, and the waitor brought it back to me and told me to keep it.

Woody82986
02-19-2005, 02:49 PM
I guess I would have taken it if I asked and nobody claimed it. The funnier thing would have been to put it somewhere where all outfits could see it and set back and watch what takes place. You might get some pretty interesting stuff.

mtdman
02-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Keep it. Cops ask, you left it in the common area when you were done at the site. End of story.

fga
02-19-2005, 03:07 PM
sounds like the one i'm missing... may i have it back? :rolleyes:

Turf Medic
02-19-2005, 03:21 PM
if u see the ladder sitting there, nobody claims it, you ask who it belongs to, nobody claims it, TAKE THE STUPID THING, and get on with your life.

I'm sure someone was stealing it and stashed it there to come back to pick it up later. Anyway I asked the four contractors that have been working on the site if they were missing this. Each one of them said "yea that's ours". I'm thinking now, what a bunch of scammers as none of them even came to look at it. So I packed it out and threw it into my truck and took it home. :) Thanks folks....Oly

bobby, his first post states that four contractors claimed it. He was sure someone was trying to steal it, so he just finished the job.

If a thief starts a theft and you finish and reap the rewards doesn't that make you the thief?

If some scumbag lifts a blower off of your trailer, gets nervous and drops it a block or two away, another perosn picks it up and takes it home is it still a theft or is it a just reward?

Eddie B
02-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Maybe if you had asked the contractors to describe it without seeing it it would be narrowed down a bit. The owner could have easily marked the ladder with their name or something.

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 03:31 PM
yea, ok, so 4 different guys say it's thiers. that leaves a minimum of 3 liars. ask them what kind it is. let them describe it. better yet, why bother, keep the freakin thing and forget it. he should have approached the guys and said, "did you lose a yellow ladder?" (of course providing it wasn't yellow). i found (i'm not sure, long time ago) i think it was like $240 on the cafeteria floor at my job. 12 people swore it was thiers. guess who kept the money? i did

Soupy
02-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I would give it to the owner of the property and let them deal with it. Same thing with money or anything for that matter. I might give the person in charge some advice as to how you would like it handled. I think good deeds should be rewarded and would hope that after a certain period of time If no one claims something it should be returned to the founder. Somebody has to do something with this stuff, it should at least go tot he founder if nobody else.

I was a bartender about 15 years ago. I found a womens watch that had diamonds in it and was worth/is worth about 2 grand. I gave it to my boss and she put it in lost and found. A couple of months later my boss (a women) came to me and said none claimed it and said I should have it. I gave the watch to my Mother (I was single at the time) and she still has it.

lpwhandyman
02-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Call the cops, tell them what happened. You fill out a form and if nobody claims it after so many days.........It's yours.

BobR
02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Call the cops, tell them what happened. You fill out a form and if nobody claims it after so many days.........It's yours.

Ditto - You will have done your duty...

BobR

lawnman_scott
02-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Why not just leave the ladder where you found it? Its not something that great, and seems like too much trouble for me.

Olylawnboy
02-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Ok guys, I'm not trying to steal the thing for crying out loud. And leaving it where it was is not an option as I had to put down sixty yards of bark there this weekend. And I did ask the four contractors working on the site if it was theres and they all claimed that it was. But none of them even took the time to come look at it to at least identify it! much less send someone to come and get it. That in itself sounds kind of weird to me. And of coarse I couldn't just leave it on a sidewalk or in the parking lot, this is a high end Dr. and Lawyer type office park with over half of the buildings occupied, get the idea now. The owner of the place said to just take it, who cares.
Now I will put an ad in the paper under the "found" listing as it is free, you know, identify and claim kind of thing. But the cops! they say bring it to them fill out a couple of forms, bla bla bla. If they would come to me and bring the paper work and take it that could work but heck why should I take a couple hours of my time and gas to take it to them? And then when no one claims it I would have to go back and pick it up? I would spend a couple of hundred $ of my time for a hundred $ ladder, I don't think so.
Anyway if any one want's the stupid thing please! come and get it :) And thanks for all the replys, with the exception of those that called me a thief. Please remember folks, I was asking your opinions as what to do! I don't come into this situation every day. I was asking for your help! as I never had to deal with this kind of situation before. That's what this site is all about right? So please cut me some slack ok! When it's all said and done, I'm going to give it to our local food bank to use in their warehouse and Gleaning program. Thanks all! Oly....

Olylawnboy
02-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Turf Medic, in that situation, your the one that picks it up, what would you do? That's what I'm really asking. What would you do in that kind of situation? Your the one that picks up the blower! Your not stealing it right, per se', your just taking temporary posesion of it, then what?

Turf Medic
02-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Turf Medic, in that situation, your the one that picks it up, what would you do? That's what I'm really asking. What would you do in that kind of situation? Your the one that picks up the blower! Your not stealing it right, per se', your just taking temporary posesion of it, then what?

If I couldn't leave it where it was, I would have left it with the contractors that said it was their's. You may have had some doubt as to their honesty but you were positive that the ladder wasn't yours. As far as the blower goes, I live an a city of about 250k, and we have many satellite police stations around, I would have called the police, told them where it was and my suspicions, (possible theft) and let it go at that.

My only concern picking something up like the ladder is having to deal with someone calling my business a thief later on. This type of business no press is better than bad press.

I apologize if you thought that I was calling you a thief, you sound very honest, but having someone publicly charge you with something like that can be very detrimental to your business. That was why I was trying to get across the point, it is better to leave it with someone that you might have some doubts about being the true owner than to keep it knowing you aren't the rightful owner.