PDA

View Full Version : picked up new yard today

Brianj
02-19-2005, 12:33 AM
went to give estimate on new yard today, not to far from my house, when the elder lady came to the door i wondered why she had called cause i remember her husband doing the yard. she said her her husband had just passed away a couple months ago.. i felt really had for her..i gave her a good price and got the yard. i ended spending about 20 minutes listening to her about how her husband died. which i was happy todo.. some times i feel like a counselor in this business, some of the elder people i do work for i spend about 5 minutes talking to each time i am there cause they are lonely.. does this ever happen to you? do spend time talking to customers? does it get u off schedule? ud never know i was a pastor before i started this business lol

crosson lawn
02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
I listen to them every time because i don't get in a hurry anymore. I used to get in a hurry but now that i don't i find i am not as tired and i get more done in a day and i definitely have less stress.
My pastor used to own a lawn service and now his brother runs it for him.
Hey by the way i have relatives in Jax on the west side.

Woody82986
02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
I try to spend time talking to the ones I know really appreciate it and one the ones I know I can afford to spend time talking to. I enjoy it actually. Especially the older clients who have interesting stories to tell. I don't care if ig gets me a little off schedule. Its worth it most of the time.

crosson lawn
02-19-2005, 12:43 AM
yeah i really enjoy the stories also

Woody82986
02-19-2005, 12:45 AM
I just hate getting too attached to older ones who I know don't have that many years left. It just makes it harder knowing one day they won't be there tell tell me any more stories.

crosson lawn
02-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I got attached i guess and i fert for free. it took 10 min and they bought the fert i just had to bring the spreader. anyway when the huricane came their yard was demolished and i game them an estimate for taking out 2 fallen palms, 1 orange and an oak tree. i gave a price of 600 and i thought it would take about 6 hours. i even told them i would not be raking up because it would take to long. anyway it took 9 hours and when i was done and gave the bill to them she said oh there's alot more left. and i had to remind her i was not raking up. then the husband had a heart attack while raking up.

pottstim
02-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Congrats on the new job. I just picked one up the other day myself. A former co-worker of my dad's (elderly widow) called me up and said she wanted me to do her yard this coming season. She said just show up when you think it's time and charge me whatever you feel is fair. That's probably the easiest job I've picked up. It makes you feel good when people come to you asking for your services. I guess it says that you are doing something right. Best of luck this season to you.

tiedeman
02-19-2005, 02:29 AM
I try to schedule estimates later at night because I always know that I will be there for a good hour or so talking about anything and everything. Even when someone doesn't become a customer I still always seem to talk to them forever.

MOW ED
02-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Some people say that you should charge for talking to them. I don't like that approach for my business. These old people are generally very nice and they are potentially more valueable than 5000 flyers that you scatter thru a neighborhood. When you have a good rapport with them, they tell others that you are a reputable person. I have had this happen to me many times. I am not saying that you have to sit and talk for 50 minutes at every stop but you have to have enough time to listen occasionally, even if it isn't very convenient for you.
Remember also that some day you will be old and imagine that you will have a lanw care guy like yourself doing your lawn. I know you are gonna be out talkin to that poor guy!! :waving:
Its a service business, if you don't like people you have to re evaluate your career choice.

tfilbert
02-19-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm flat out amazed how many of you feel the same as I about the older customer. I appreciate the break I get when talking to them. I respect what the older generations have done for this great country. I spend the time it takes to establish a good working relationship and sometimes a little more. It pays off every year when I get a call saying so and so used you last year and I like your work. Older customers need honest people helping them not out not dirt balls trying to rip them off. Hope everyone has a fantastic year and makes piles of cash.
Tim

Carolina Cuts
02-19-2005, 08:22 AM
I saw my 'lawn relationship' change with a customer when he was going through a divorce. He was a normal... "Hey, the lawn looks good, here's your money" type guy... that quickly became one hour therapy sessions for me after I was done cutting his lawn. Felt bad for the guy, especially since he apparently had NO ONE to talk to accept for the landscaper. His wife had apparently been cheating on him and he caught her. Before I knew it, I was being envited to bachelor b-bq's... kids b-day parties... he even asked me to drive him an hour away to pick up an xmas tree.... with pay!!! Should've changed my business cards to Lawn Service and couseling.

jcr4au
02-19-2005, 08:52 AM
I started on a yard last summer where the wife used to mow. She walked out and told me their marriage has gotten a lot better since I started mowing. Sounded like they used to fight over who was going to mow and since they hired me they had yet to fight about it.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-19-2005, 11:05 AM
when i used to work out in the field cutting i hated it becasue you would have your employees sitting around and paying for it. Know that my job title has changed to customer satisfaction its my job.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-19-2005, 11:30 AM
I have some elderly customers that I spend some time with each week. I just call it good customer relations. I know it gets me behind some at times but its just part of the job. If you dont spend a little time with them some one else may and become the new grass cutter, any way it works for me and it gives me a chance to catch a breath and rest a lil in the heat of the summer.

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 02:58 PM
i'd charge $10 to listen to thier sob stories. when i saw a councelor in addition to my prozac medicine, i had to pay $80 for 45 min just for him to sit there and listen to me tell stories.

jeff_0
02-19-2005, 05:50 PM
One time i gave a lady a bid and she talked for at least 45 minutes.. i keep saying i have to go. i didn't want to be rude and just leave. I didn't even go the job. she wanted to pay me what she had, which i think was like $30 for a $65 job. i just couldn't do it. She lived by herself and had no kids and doesn't have much company. But boy she could talk.

mownredneck
02-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I have this one old lady and I think the world of her. She is so sweet to me. Everytime Im there she brings me a big jug of cold iced tea. Then when I get through I talk to her for about 15min. or so. I dont care if it gets me off schedule I feel better about myself when I talk to her. She stays at home all alone all day with no one to talk to. I dont think of myself as just a lawnboy I try to make people feel better.