PDA

View Full Version : you guyz are driving be crazy AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

grass disaster
02-19-2005, 01:10 AM
one minute i'm thinking exmark is too overpriced the next min i'm thinking why would i want to test the waters with a hustler. exmark is proven to give a superior cut??

a couple questions for you guyz i'm comparing a 04 17 hp tthp elec with a 05 hustler 17 hp elec, 48"ers

do either of these have grease zerks on the spindles?
do either of these machines have an hour meeter?
are one of these easier to put a sulky behind/easier to ride. will they both pull it with ease?

i hope to have a decision in the next couple of weeks.

p.s. i'm also concerned with the hustler the way the controls are set and the extra weight it looks like the hustler is harder to lift the front end if i'd come upon a big rut or even a large change in terrain.

i almost forgot the exmark is 5000 the hustler is 5200

JKOOPERS
02-19-2005, 01:56 AM
i dont know much about the hustler but the exmark doesnt have grease zerks on the spindles. (they have a 3 year warranty on them ) Normally the tthp doesnt come with an hour meter but i am sure the dealer could put one on there or you could do it yourself. anytime i buy a new exmark and a sulky the dealer puts it on for free. the down side is that the tthps are very light in the front end and tend to pop up, though it can be solved quite easily with the weight set for them or by adding a stack of 1/4 " steel to the front.
as far as pull with ease you would have no problems, mine will pull me up almost any hill .

MTR
02-19-2005, 02:25 AM
I own and operate 52"/17 TTHP, best machine for me. It accepts any kind of sulky, the 17 Kawi is very good motor also. Hustler is very good but strangely none of them sold much in my area so I really have no comment cause there are none of them running around. People only buy eXmark WB, and Standers, and Z.

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2005, 03:22 AM
You are Bang On about the Hustler 48"..Very Long And Harder to Pop the Front....

Some Rookies may tell you this isn't an issue...

But the 48"TracerHp's are More Compact and Better Res. Mowers....Period.

PaulJ
02-19-2005, 05:44 AM
I have a hustler 48" with the 23hp engine. I believe the 17hp is about the same machine but with a smaller engine, smaller rear wheels. (still larger than exmark) and a couple other minor differences.
The hustler does have grease zerts on the spindles. They are under the deck. The hustler does come with an hour meter standard.
The hustler does pull a sulky with no problem. I use the bull rider and it works great with the hustler. No problems with the front end coming up when you don't want it too. But if you do want to lift the front it can be done without much trouble
I think the hustler h-bar controls are the easiest to use of any walkbehind made.
The hustler also rides over uneven terrain very well with larger tires front and rear than the tthp. It is a heavier machine but that helps the ride and stability of the mower.
Give the hustler a good demo. Give yourself time to get used to the controls. Study the linkage and how they work. This helps in learning how to handle it instinctively.
Last thing, I know you are asking about the 17hp but look at the super with the 23 hp. I think the extra hp and tire size is well worth the extra $. The super makes a great machine well "super".
The hustler is built more like the exmark tt and better than the tthp. exmark won't make a tt in 48", I asked and begged them before the hustler super came out.

Good luck with you decision and don't forget that dealer support makes a big difference in the deal. I have had great support from my hustler dealer.

littlenic
02-19-2005, 12:01 PM
If you purchase it, I would get the 19 hp eXmart tthp. You get the canister air filter with it. I have a 48" with the 17 elec. start and it's great but I wish I had the 19 with the different filter.

littlelic

Mark McC
02-19-2005, 12:15 PM
You can get an aftermarket hour meter for $30. JThomas is one place that sells 'em. See below.

http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/209.htm

grass disaster
02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
If you purchase it, I would get the 19 hp eXmart tthp. You get the canister air filter with it. I have a 48" with the 17 elec. start and it's great but I wish I had the 19 with the different filter.

littlelic

but i can get the 04 for 5100 he wants 5600 for the new one. not sure if the 19 hp is worth it. i think i can talk him down to 5000 for the 04.

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2005, 04:48 PM
Hustler has a New 48" Avail. Soon or Mabe Avail. Now called the TrimStar which is even More Compact than the 48" Tracerhp....

The TrimStar Might give the Baby Tracers a Run for Their Money...

Gautreaux's LNG
02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
i dont know much about the hustler but the exmark doesnt have grease zerks on the spindles. (they have a 3 year warranty on them )

Warranty has been reduced to 2 years. They've replaces ALOT of spindles the last few years.

Gautreaux's LNG
02-19-2005, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Mark McC]You can get an aftermarket hour meter for $30. JThomas is one place that sells 'em. QUOTE]

Check your local dealer, most sell them for $24.95 - $29.95, if you're a regular he'll probably throw it own with no installation charge.