PDA

View Full Version : Miller Lite and Tobacco Spit

7mtnsod
02-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Anyone out there trying any Jerry Baker techniques?

Alot of books I've been finding about non-toxic/organic lawncare or farming, recommmend using household products such as beer, soda, epsom salts, tobacco spit, and even urine.

They claim that these products like sugars, enzymes, yeasts, etc....that really work at feeding the soil and microbes(life os the soil) and hence feeding the grass.

Really neat and works! Chemical companies don't want anyone to knwo but...what there selling for $40 gal can be purchased for $9 a case ....terrible beers are good for something!

Grassmechanic
02-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Do a search. Jerry Baker is a fraud. Many university studies have been done to refute his so-called "tonics".

7mtnsod
02-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I beg to differ, but if you could point me in the direction of some these university studies...I would be interested.

Maybe his tonics are a little far fetched because he claims they will work in any situation....but I do know that people use additives to sprays such as molasses, soda and even straight ammonia.

Each his own!

7mtnsod
02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Do a search. Jerry Baker is a fraud. Many university studies have been done to refute his so-called "tonics".

No ****.....who do you think is funding their studies? The big boys...chem companies, etc. Universities will PROVE anything for $200,000, ha

Grassmechanic
02-20-2005, 01:27 PM
No ****.....who do you think is funding their studies? The big boys...chem companies, etc. Universities will PROVE anything for $200,000, ha

Actually, the studies I was involved with in the early 80's was funded by MTF (Michigan Turfgrass Foundation), NO corporate monies involved. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself a bit. You may become enlightened by what you learn. Did you know JB never even had any formal horticulture/agronomy education in his background? That would be my first clue. Like I said, do a search, this topic has been brought up before.

7mtnsod
02-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Grassmechanic,

Thanks for yourt input.

7mtnsod
02-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Do yourself a favor and educate yourself a bit. You may become enlightened by what you learn. Did you know JB never even had any formal horticulture/agronomy education in his background? That would be my first clue. Like I said, do a search, this topic has been brought up before.[/QUOTE]

Thomas Edison never had a formal education either! Boy what a fraud he was!

Dchall_San_Antonio
02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
I must admit that Jerry Baker has an appeal on TV. His home remedies seem like common sense alternatives to commerical branded alternatives; but I have a few problems with his ingredients.

1. Nicotine has been banned from agricultural use simply because it is hazardous to the humans using it. It may work on the insects but it's not worth the price in human suffering.

2. Beer has alcohol in it. Therefore, on the very surface of the argument, it is a waste of alcohol to spray it on the lawn. But more importantly to me, alcohol is a sterilizer, disinfectant, and antiseptic that kills "germs." My problem is that it is non selective as to the fungus and bacteria it will kill. Now it could be that after you dilute it and spray it out through the open air that all the alcohol dissipates, but I don't know that for sure. Therefore I stay away from it.

3. Dish detergent. This stuff works real well in killing insects. But again it doesn't distinguish as to which insects it kills and will wipe out entire populations of beneficial insects from your yard. Works well against pests, but it's not worth the trouble of reestablishing the beneficials.

Regarding his other favorite ingredients, Coca-Cola and ammonia: I'm not sure I have an opinion about yet. The heavy dilution makes the resulting solution pretty weak after mixing with all the other stuff and going through the hose end sprayer. I guess the worst thing I can say about them is that they contain no protein to feed the soil microbes.

Grassmechanic
02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Do yourself a favor and educate yourself a bit. You may become enlightened by what you learn. Did you know JB never even had any formal horticulture/agronomy education in his background? That would be my first clue. Like I said, do a search, this topic has been brought up before.

Thomas Edison never had a formal education either! Boy what a fraud he was![/QUOTE]

Tom Edison was never proven to be wrong. Unless you'd like to make the argument that the phonograph does not work.

Grassmechanic
02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
David - the ammonia will dissipate to the atmosphere so quickly that it is almost unnoticed by the grass plants.

Garden Panzer
03-02-2005, 02:33 AM
why would you want to spray tobbacco juice on your plants? tobbacco carries Mosiac Virus, deadly to tomatoes, and other plants....

that was enough for me......

I've had a couple clients leave beer out to mix in w/ their liquid lawn ap, and those beers ended up lunch or drive home beers....

:waving: