PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Operators - Newspaper Article

ProSvcs
02-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I am doing some advertising in a local newspaper that focuses on a 50 mile radius. My AD starts this week. I spoke to the editor yesterday and they are willing to publish a Bi-Weekly article on Lawncare Problems and resolutions. My Company name will be at the bottom of the article and a referece to my display ad in the paper. I am considering the first article to on preperation for spring (What to ask lawncare contractors and why it's important) I thought this might be something that everyone could do. Locall papers and editors love to have free helpfull articles written for them.

I am hoping that some of you will contribute to this artcle especially. When we have a finished article in this thread, we can all send it to our local papers for publishing. I know there are articles published all the time about verifying a contractors references, Licens, Insurance, etc.

I would like to know what you guys think about the idea.

Thanks
Jim

fga
02-19-2005, 09:12 AM
i think if you publish an article questioning alot of guys credentials.. you will make enemies.
wrong or right, there are lines i wouldn't cross.

hell, look at Jose Conseco! he shouldn't leave his house.

ProSvcs
02-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I am just thinking that the legal folks in the area would probably appreciate this type of article. I know I love when a residential customer asks if I have insurance. If the article causes one guy to have to become legal, That will be approx 20 1 acre lawns that wont be done for a mere 15 - 20 bucks. PPL that are legal will enjoy it, those that arent will hate it. I expect my phone to ring with complaints from those that are bottom feeders. They are part of the reason that my taxes, insurance, work comp, etc are so damn high (Someone has to pay for those that don't).

GrassMasterNC
02-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I think it's a great idea. You are obviously a smart businessman with a plan and good foresight. Who cares about what the scrubs think about you - maybe it'll get them to go legit and pay taxes - then you are doing you part to further stimulate your local economy. Good for you! I hope you corner the market and make a killing and become the biggest and best quality LCO in your area! Good Luck!

Matt

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 09:43 AM
your insurence is not high because of them. i don't buy into that crap about blaming others for insurence rates, insurence companies are the scuzziest lowest life forms on this planet. anyhow, the article, i love it. but, as adam said, the bottom feeders outnumber the legit companies by about 8-1. i certainly don't want to be the one getting hundreds of guys who have nothing, and have nothing to lose, upset. you'll have to sleep with your eyes open if you do

fga
02-19-2005, 09:53 AM
the problem with that approach is, you'd better now make sure you are on your toes, and are fully compliant. you open the door for others to dissect your operation... and there are so many petty things that can be reported.

i, myself, couldn't care about about the "bottom feeders" as you called them. they are no threat to me.
i am running a legitimate business, but to be 100% able to pass an inspection, no way.
do you store all your supplies like chems in an approved locking storage unit? are you mowers secured to pass an random check point? are all you ID numbers posted on your vehicles in the proper fashion? the list goes on and on and on...

relax "agent smith"

packerbacker
02-19-2005, 09:56 AM
IVe always said mind your own business, take care of yourself and dont worry about what other people do...

ProSvcs
02-19-2005, 11:07 AM
fga,

You are right, I dont think anyone can pass every test out there to be 100% compliant with the laws. He!! the state makes new laws all the time because they cant comply with their old ones. I can and do comply with the ones that take the largest amount of money from my pocket though.

packerbacker,

Maybe you are right, Maybe we all not worry about if our neighbors are using unlicensed LCO's, (You know, the ones that are doing applications) these are the same folks that causing stricter laws to be put into place which the licensed PPL have to deal with.

Folks,

I just feel that if we all did things right to begin with, the laws and the cost of doing business would not be as high as it is today. laws and regulations are made by politicians. Although some laws are just created to generate more revenue for their pocket's, the vast majority of laws are created because of constituents complaint's, enough ppl complain a new law is passed.
Are any new reulation's being passed because you have done inferior work for your customers?? (I dont think so). They are being passed because the "bottom feeders" are screwing up work that they are being hired to do.

Everytime a new regulation or law is passed, does it cost you more money??
Does it cost the illigal operators more money??
Insurance does go up as well because of this reason.

Dont fool yourself, Your cost of doing business is directly related to what these illegal ppl do or dont do. Their cost of doing business doesnt change because they are never going to try to comply with the regulations that they are causing to be put into place.

fga

You stated "i, myself, couldn't care about about the "bottom feeders" as you called them. they are no threat to me."

Is this true??
If a new law is passed because of these ppl doing inferior work which costs you an extra 20,000.00 just to operate, are they affecting your business??

I have noticed that a lot of ppl on this board have a lot of issues with illegal fols and I thought that this was a way that we may all be able to do something about it.

Imagine if all of us wrote something up and published it to one local paper the effects that it could have on the industry as a whole.

I guess a lot of ppl like to bit** but very few want to take action.
I know the above statement will get me flamed, but I really dont care. I for one am tired of all of the new bullsh** laws being introduced every year because the idiots wont comply with the old ones nor do they use any common sense when performing work.

I'll go write my article now that i am totally discusted with this thread.

Thanks guys, i appreciate all of the thought that has been put into the feedback.

fga
02-19-2005, 11:13 AM
don't try and come off righteous.. this is a stunt to gain more business for you, not alleviate problems in the industry.
prove me wrong... if you get it published, don't refer to your own local ad, and sign it anonymous., or "local lawnboy"

ProSvcs
02-19-2005, 11:22 AM
This article, I will not refer to my local ad because i dont want to get all of the calls from the illegal ass***es.

As for being righteous, This is a problem for everyone in the industry. (I even agreed with you as for complying 100% with every law out there) How is that being righteous??

As for the other point I made, Please dispute any one of them.

lawnman_scott
02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
If a new law is passed because of these ppl doing inferior work which costs you an extra 20,000.00 just to operate, are they affecting your business??

I for one am tired of all of the new bullsh** laws being introduced every year because the idiots wont comply with the old ones nor do they use any common sense when performing work.

I'll go write my article now that i am totally discusted with this thread.

Thanks guys, i appreciate all of the thought that has been put into the feedback.
If a new law is passed costing us money, the so called bottom feeders will still be there doing wrong, so how do they hurt us? If the government would keep their nose out of something it would work, but this way legal businesses would be hurt, and illegal ones would go on as usual. I just kind of have an issue with the article thing, because every year I get a call from the paper saying they are doing a contractor section. Its not free, but it looks like a huan intrest article. You just tell them what you specialize it, licenses and insurance you have, and any good comments you have received, and they incorperate it into a article. Sounds good, for me....................... What do they know about me? I paid them.

fga
02-19-2005, 11:33 AM
This article, I will not refer to my local ad because i dont want to get all of the calls from the illegal ass***es.

As for being righteous, This is a problem for everyone in the industry. (I even agreed with you as for complying 100% with every law out there) How is that being righteous??

As for the other point I made, Please dispute any one of them.for every 1 person you are luckily enough to sway legit by your well written, educated opinions.. 3 new guys are loading up without a single credential. you will never be able to save money, by taking illegal out of the picture. even if by miracle, there where to suddenly be none... you honestly think our rates would go down? :laugh: don't be naive
you think gas is ever going to come back down? you think business fees will ever come down? less claims for an insurance company just puts more money in their pockets, not save you a dime.

i have thought alot on this and have come to the conclusion that greeds starts way at the top and trickles down.

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 11:33 AM
if everyone did everything right, this would NOT LOWER THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS, IT WOULD INCREASE IT! the d.e.p makes its money by issuing fines. if there are 10 laws, and some time goes by, and these 10 laws are no longer being broken, they will invent TEN MORE LAWS , so that they can issue fines and make money. when the new 10 laws are no longer broken, THEY WILL ADD TEN MORE LAWS , so they can issue more fines, and make money. in addition, the cost of permits will have to increase to make up for the lack of fines, as will required credit courses (that cost us money). quit acting dumb. it's the same as traffic laws. they raised the speed limit, but issue stricter fines for doing less mph hour over the speed limit. they added seat belt laws (nothing more than another fine to pay= increased revenue). the only thing that would benefit me by eliminating the bottom feeders, is that i may be able to increase fees, slightly, because you will always have the lower priced volume companies to compete against.

ProSvcs
02-19-2005, 11:38 AM
If a new law is passed costing us money, the so called bottom feeders will still be there doing wrong, so how do they hurt us?.

They are the primary reason the laws are being passed. They do enough inferior work, thus making enough constituents complain, New law is introduced requiring more regulation.

Educating the public will eventually help the problem. PPL ask the question "Do you bag?" all of the time because they see others doing it and in some parts it has become an industry standard. Wouldnt it be nice to educate the consumers to the point that they ask "Are you licensed?" "Are you insured?"

I pay to advertise with the paper, but i do not pay to get articles published. The paper views them as a community service type article.

Ol'time Lawncare
02-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I am hoping that some of you will contribute to this artcle especially. When we have a finished article in this thread, we can all send it to our local papers for publishing. I know there are articles published all the time about verifying a contractors references, Licens, Insurance, etc.

I would like to know what you guys think about the idea.

Thanks
Jim
How do you have time to Dream up some foolish concoction like this, shouldn't you be working on advertising your business for this spring? dude get a life, stop worrying about the other guy, he is no threat to you if you do credible work!

lawnman_scott
02-19-2005, 12:16 PM
They are the primary reason the laws are being passed. They do enough inferior work, thus making enough constituents complain, New law is introduced requiring more regulation.

Educating the public will eventually help the problem. PPL ask the question "Do you bag?" all of the time because they see others doing it and in some parts it has become an industry standard. Wouldnt it be nice to educate the consumers to the point that they ask "Are you licensed?" "Are you insured?"

I pay to advertise with the paper, but i do not pay to get articles published. The paper views them as a community service type article.

1] They dont pass laws because constituents complain. They pass laws to make money like bobby said.

2] They dont care about license or insurance. Chances are the lawn guy wont burn the house down or kill someone. They do however want it bagged because they heard somewhere that..........................

3] "community service" article? Why not have the head surgeon at a local hospital write an article about the best hospital to go to for minor surgury?