PDA

View Full Version : Is this a tranny problem with my 150?

Smithers
02-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi guys, i have a '97 f-150. I bought it used last year around this time.

over the past week it has been making a very low almost a swooshing noise when i am stopping at the light.

Imagine the pass-by noise that the nascar cars make when they drive by the cameras and microphones...now, reduce the intensity and that is what i get. could that be the transmission trying to keep up with the rpms when it is downshifting?

any ideas?

also, when i am stopping the bed is hopping like crazy. i think i have to replace the shocks in the rear. it happenes at about 40 mph.

thank you.

aries
02-19-2005, 11:16 AM
How many miles on it ?

Smithers
02-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Sorry, I forgot about that. It has 97,000 miles. 4.6 V8.

Mark McC
02-19-2005, 11:55 AM
If it's the original transmission, 97,000 might be about right for expected life. The bed-hopping thing I'm not sure about, though. If you push down hard on the back of the truck and it settles down quickly, the shocks might be okay. If it bounces more than twice, the shocks are definitely gone.

I'm no mechanic though, and that's really what you need: a mechanic.

jimslawns
02-19-2005, 11:59 AM
when you are driving normally is the transmission acting normally? smooth shift, no strange vibrations, no shudder? if it is correct when you are driving and you are only having the problem when stopping, I would get the rear brakes checked out first

Smithers
02-19-2005, 12:54 PM
it is the original tranny. at least from what i know....i got it wiht 89K miles on it. i doubt that anyone would have changed it earlier.

for the shocks to bounce twice, they really must be messed up...but i will change them anyway.

There is a lot of powertrain noise in the up shifting, but once it shifts at about 2K RMP, it is smooth and barely any sound from the engine. What i mean is, when i am cruising, i can barely hear the engine. but otherwise it sounds like it is struggling... but i think it's normal.

but definetely not shudders, jerks, or anything like that. except last night. i was at the stop light and i was at idle and the whole cab started shaking. once i started going again, it went away. has not happened since or before last night

i will check the rear and front brakes when it gets warm.

Gilla Gorilla
02-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Check the plug wires it sounds like one of them went bad. You are also due for a tune up, that engine should have the 100K mile platinum plugs in it. Go to the dealership and get a set of MOTORCRAFT plugs, not a aftermarket set from napa or some other parts store and also pic up a set of OEM plug wires while you are there. Do that and I bet your shaking cab will be gone.

Oh yeah dont forget to tighten down the clamps on the two heater hoses going into the heater core at the firewall. Ford had a problem with them loosing a little coolant on their F150, Expeditions and Navigator engines but I cant remember if it was just on the 5.4 liters or also the 4.6 liters.

Now go out and spend a couple of bucks and tune it up and it should run fine again.

Justin

Smithers
02-19-2005, 01:16 PM
justin, a tune-up was done the same week that i bought the truck last year....i bought bosch platinum plugs and wires. changed them atthe dealer cause it was impossible to reach the back 4 cilynders. dont know about the clams on the heater hoses. have to check that.

i am more concerned about the "swooshing noise" than the shaking, which happened just last night.

riches139
02-19-2005, 04:31 PM
To me, sounds like the fan clutch kicking in at low rpm.

While running, have someone put it in gear while you're outside the truck to locate the noise.

At 97000, you're going to get alot of noise coming from worn parts all over the truck.

Eric 1
02-19-2005, 09:16 PM
You have a vacuum leak.

If the engine does not have enough vacuum it will struggle to make power, idle rough and you will hear the sucking sound. Check ALL the rubber hoses connected to the engine, esp. the intake manifold.

A spray bottle with a soapy solution is also a good tool to find vacuum leaks.

Smalltimer1
02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
justin, a tune-up was done the same week that i bought the truck last year....i bought bosch platinum plugs and wires. changed them atthe dealer cause it was impossible to reach the back 4 cilynders. dont know about the clams on the heater hoses. have to check that.

i am more concerned about the "swooshing noise" than the shaking, which happened just last night.

I tried the Bosch platinums too with Car Quest wires and they made my truck run like crap. Put a new set of Motorcraft plugs and wires in and my truck runs like a top now.

I know this is gonna sound like a broken record, but.......

"Use only Genuine Ford/Motorcraft parts for your Ford vehicle."

I learned the hard way last summer about using aftermarket stuff.......

Gilla Gorilla
02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I tried the Bosch platinums too with Car Quest wires and they made my truck run like crap. Put a new set of Motorcraft plugs and wires in and my truck runs like a top now.

I know this is gonna sound like a broken record, but.......

"Use only Genuine Ford/Motorcraft parts for your Ford vehicle."

I learned the hard way last summer about using aftermarket stuff.......

Thank You Smalltimer. I cant tell you how many times I saw this when I worked in the shop at a Large volume Ford dealer for over 6 years.

By the point that people will actually take their vehicles into the dealership they are so pissed off about spending all of the money on aftermarket parts that they just have a very bad attitude about going into the dealer in the first place since they spent $500.00 on a tune up at midas or somewhere like that.

I used to fire me up because everyone says you get ripped off when you go to the dealer but in all acutallity you might pay $50 or $100 more at the dealer for a tune up but the vehicle is fixed when you get it back and you dont have to take it somewhere else after already spending $500 for a repair that did not work. Plus most all dealerships will stand behind their work. If you came to me and spend $500.00 and the problem was there a week or two later you would only pay for the new part that needed to be replaced or nothing at all, it just depends on the situation and what needed to be replaced after all.

Im not saying that ALL dealerships are perfect, none of them are BUT they have factory trained techs working on the same vehicles day in and day out. Not working on anything from a Lexus down to a Chevy or a Ford. Then again not all aftermarket shops are bad either.

Just my thoughts on the automotive business and what I saw go on for over Ten years in that business.

stumper1620
02-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Thank You Smalltimer. I cant tell you how many times I saw this when I worked in the shop at a Large volume Ford dealer for over 6 years.

By the point that people will actually take their vehicles into the dealership they are so pissed off about spending all of the money on aftermarket parts that they just have a very bad attitude about going into the dealer in the first place since they spent $500.00 on a tune up at midas or somewhere like that.

I used to fire me up because everyone says you get ripped off when you go to the dealer but in all acutallity you might pay $50 or $100 more at the dealer for a tune up but the vehicle is fixed when you get it back and you dont have to take it somewhere else after already spending $500 for a repair that did not work. Plus most all dealerships will stand behind their work. If you came to me and spend $500.00 and the problem was there a week or two later you would only pay for the new part that needed to be replaced or nothing at all, it just depends on the situation and what needed to be replaced after all.

Im not saying that ALL dealerships are perfect, none of them are BUT they have factory trained techs working on the same vehicles day in and day out. Not working on anything from a Lexus down to a Chevy or a Ford. Then again not all aftermarket shops are bad either.

Just my thoughts on the automotive business and what I saw go on for over Ten years in that business.
I hear ya justin,
10 years working on hondas, 1 i will never forget.this guy had his accord at an independent shop for a no start, they put a fuel pump, main relay, plugs, wires, ecm, and a 500 dollar labor, still did not run, towed it in to me I charged 1 hr. diag. plus replaced the dist. rotor. all fixedwith a 5 dollar part. and the guy bitched about the labor charge for such a cheap part, and he already had spent so much. well duh, bring it to me first and i could have saved him a thousand dollars. took me less than 15 min to know what was wrong and confirm it. knowledge don't come cheap.

Smithers
02-20-2005, 01:56 PM
here is a quick story..when it got really cold here a few months ago, i had to keep my foot on the gas when starting the truck cause it would die as soon as i'd let it go. after keeping it for 20 seconds it would be ok....but it was annoying.

i went to the dealer. at our dealer, they have representatives that you tell your problem, they do the paperwork and then they call a mechanic to take a look at the car.

i went to a rep, told him what the problem was, he immediately said, "It's the IAC valve. the intake air control valve". then he said, "Dont buy another one at autozone. those aftermarket parts are crap.

i paid $120 (with discount) for the part, but after installing it, i have not had a problem.

i'd never again buy an engine parts from the auto store. something like wipers, filter, door closing mechanism - yes-....but something for the engine - never.

RedWingsDet
02-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Check out... http://www.f150online.com/forums lotsa people over their. And even more people at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

RedWingsDet
02-20-2005, 10:44 PM
"Dont buy another one at autozone. those aftermarket parts are crap.

i paid $120 (with discount) for the part, but after installing it, i have not had a problem.

i'd never again buy an engine parts from the auto store. something like wipers, filter, door closing mechanism - yes-....but something for the engine - never.

why not? dealers just say that to scare people so they buy their part. Which is most likely the same part autozone or murrays has with a different label on it. And dealers can charge more because people are scared of autozone and stuff like that.

plus, if the part you buy at autozone or something has a warantee, why not buy it their? If I can save $80 buying it at autozone or murrays when it has a warantee, you bet Ill buy it their. For instance, I have put about 3 sets of brakes on my dakota, the pads I first bought had life time warantee, so as long as I kept the reciet I got new ones for free. Would the dealer do that? NO. Would the dealers pads last longer? NO. Ill trust the bosche cermaic pads alot more than the dealers. Sorry just a personal prefrence. I just feel, why pay extra money at the dealer, when you can get the same part with a different tag on it for less, and as long as it has a warantee, it doesnt matter, IMO. Again, I might be wrong, might be right, but its just my oppinion. Rock on brother, hope you can finger out your problem :) :waving:

Smalltimer1
02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
why not? dealers just say that to scare people so they buy their part. Which is most likely the same part autozone or murrays has with a different label on it. And dealers can charge more because people are scared of autozone and stuff like that.

plus, if the part you buy at autozone or something has a warantee, why not buy it their? If I can save $80 buying it at autozone or murrays when it has a warantee, you bet Ill buy it their. For instance, I have put about 3 sets of brakes on my dakota, the pads I first bought had life time warantee, so as long as I kept the reciet I got new ones for free. Would the dealer do that? NO. Would the dealers pads last longer? NO. Ill trust the bosche cermaic pads alot more than the dealers. Sorry just a personal prefrence. I just feel, why pay extra money at the dealer, when you can get the same part with a different tag on it for less, and as long as it has a warantee, it doesnt matter, IMO. Again, I might be wrong, might be right, but its just my oppinion. Rock on brother, hope you can finger out your problem :) :waving:

I put Bosch spark plugs and Car Quest "GOLD" (top of the line) wires in and it caused my truck to start skipping terribly. The Ford tech recommended this combo, but this was the first time he had ever seen an engine "reject" such a part. The dealer took the cost of the CQ wires out of my bill and gave me a set of new Motorcraft wires and plugs for free, and that solved my skipping problem, along with 3 new injectors.

Smithers
02-21-2005, 12:51 PM
that's why i said i would never get an ENGINE component from an aftermarket store. unless it's a turbo charger or any of those chips that they sell.

if it's like brakes or rotors, or lugnuts for example, i am all for saving money.

Smalltimer1
02-21-2005, 01:12 PM
that's why i said i would never get an ENGINE component from an aftermarket store. unless it's a turbo charger or any of those chips that they sell.

if it's like brakes or rotors, or lugnuts for example, i am all for saving money.

When I have to replace brakes I usually stick with Ray Bestos if they are available for that particular vehicle. The auto teacher in school told me that if it was possible to go with Ray Bestos, he said that of all the brakes he used, he usually never saw the same car again for brakes if he put RB's on. The cheap ones that are sold at the discount stores are no good, they may go for 20000 miles, but the RB's should go 50k or more depending on driving habits.

Smithers
02-21-2005, 07:32 PM
if it was possible to go with Ray Bestos............

i have never heard of these...but if i ever have an option, i sure will.

how much more expensive are they? where do you get them at ?

when i am stopping at the light....and driving at 2-3 mph, my truck feels like it's tied to a bungy cord, there is a pull, then loosens, then pull, then loosens.i think that's either the rotors or the pads.

Smalltimer1
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.raybestos.com/usa/index.htm

You can get them at Advance Auto Parts, but make sure you take some extra $$ they are more expensive than the el cheapos, but well worth the extra money.