PDA

View Full Version : vacation

LawnsRUsInc.
02-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Who here goes on vacation and leaves the company behind to let your employees run the show.

Jason

packerbacker
02-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Im a solo but i have a buddy of mine who works with me a few times a month. He has come in and ran my Friday routes for me on occasion if I leave town. I trust him. He knows what he's doing and the customers like him.

rodfather
02-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Last year (in July), I took the entire month off and rented a house at the Jersey shore for myself and my g/f...not a single phone call from one customer the entire time or one complaint. I came home each Friday, picked up the payroll and saw my guys in the afternoon to talk. Myself and another person did maintenance on Saturday morning and then back to the beach by noon until the following Friday.

Now I ask...how sweet is that? :D

fga
02-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Last year (in July), I took the entire month off and rented a house at the Jersey shore for myself and my g/f...not a single phone call from one customer the entire time or one complaint. I came home each Friday, picked up the payroll and saw my guys in the afternoon to talk. Myself and another person did maintenance on Saturday morning and then back to the beach by noon until the following Friday.

that's great, i envy you.
did you play that Springsteen song "jersey Girl" for her, bringing her "to the shore".

that would have been an instant score on your part... :)

rodfather
02-19-2005, 11:13 AM
LOL...good one Adam. BTW, we were at Lavalette which is like halfway between Point Pleasant and Seaside.

aries
02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
nice beach I enjoy going down to widwood becouse the size of the beach is so big no chance of a bunch of asses getting in the way kicking sand around have u ever been their Rod.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Yea i leave for mexico in 5 days. I will be gone for 2 weeks. Iam not really nervous just hoping we dont get any snow. The guys i have that work for me are good hard workers they have worked 40-50 hrs straight plowing. Lawn and landscaping no problem i dont even see some of them for a month. That end of the business runs its self.

rodfather
02-19-2005, 11:49 AM
nice beach I enjoy going down to widwood becouse the size of the beach is so big no chance of a bunch of asses getting in the way kicking sand around have u ever been their Rod.

Wildwood is real nice...that's another hour or so south of where I was.

fga
02-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Wildwood is real nice...that's another hour or so south of where I was.
not to bring this thread even more off topic, but i love Belmar. not as crowded, beaches are beatiful. not as much to do for kids, but the beach itself is nice. not too far either. Wildwood is a ride! i almost ran out of parkway last time. you know you're deep when you hit a stop light on the parkway ;)

Lux Lawn
02-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Rod--I'm starting to believe that signature line more and more. :D

We went to California and Las Vegas this winter and that is a tough time to go away for me because of the plowing but we go to see my wife's kids for the holidays.Summers months are much easier for me and yes we are going away this year in the summer.

Petr51488
02-19-2005, 12:55 PM
I also took the whole month of july off. Me and my father went to europe for the month to visit family. Leaving my cousin behind to take care of the business was the biggest mistake i ever did. He is lazy, and would take 3 times as long to do the same yard that i could do in 20 minutes. 15 accounts isn't much, but he bitched and complained about everything. I paid his gas, 12.00 an hour, and i ended up losing 2 customers because he decited to skip a week. Never again will I hire him. But, europe was good, totally different world overthere..

Eho
02-19-2005, 01:04 PM
I did not vacation last year but the year before I went to florida for a week. It was so great and I had my older brother filling in for me. I think as long as it is a hardworker u can trust, let them work for u. I took my brother with me to show him every lawn, introduce him to all my customers, and they were very satisfied. As long as they do good work, customers wont care. Another possible strategy:
I might want to head off to Florida again this year, but b/c my brother got a new job, he doesnt have time to help. Do you think the customers would mind if I did all of my lawns in the two days before I leave, then do them all after I come back? I know this might screw up their weekly schedule, but who knows.

rodfather
02-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Do you think the customers would mind if I did all of my lawns in the two days before I leave, then do them all after I come back? I know this might screw up their weekly schedule, but who knows.

I seem to remember a couple of years ago someone posting here doing something like that.

If memory serves me right, he was getting married during the summer and going away away on honeymoon for a week right smack in the middle of his busy season. We just told him "go for it", but at least inform his customers about what he was planning on doing, ie, mowing everyone right before the ceremony and then mowing everyone as soon as he got back.

Give it a try...