PDA

View Full Version : First web site, please critique

NCLawnMedic
02-19-2005, 12:03 PM
This is my first web presence, so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

www.nclawnmedic.com

Thanks,

Jeremy

Green Dreams
02-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Not bad at all, Chief. If it was ME, I'd stay far, far away from realtors. Some of the stupidest and cheapest people I have ever met were realtors. If you call me for an estimate and I know you are a realtor, I add 20%.

tonygreek
02-19-2005, 01:42 PM
you're breaking a few cardinal rules of site design:

- the green grass as a background is distracting. yellow text doesn't help the situation at all, and if a large part of your target demographic is the over 50 set, you're making it even worse for them. i'd pull all of your contents and buttons into a centered table (white), and just use the grass as a bordered background.

- the logo looks pretty horrific. not sure what you would have made that in, but flat color work needs to be in .gif format. it'll be crystal clear and in the range of 25% of the current file size. the current format you have it in, jpg, is intended for photographic work and renders color completely differently.

- on my high-res display, the "Property Pictures" header is overwhelming. on 800x600 resolution, it would look like a billboard.

- the photos could be smaller downloads if you would "physically" resize them in your image editor to the size you want displayed. you have larger pictures that are code-forced to fit the constraints of your pages.

- Under Construction is as close to the #1 sin of web design as you can get.

- the various, multi-colored text and links should have some sort of cohesion. yellow, purple, teal, red, and pink/lavender have zero correlation to each other.

just yell if you need any clarifications.

tony

NCLawnMedic
02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Tony,

Thanks for the input. It looks like back to the drawing board.

benslandscapingny
02-19-2005, 05:18 PM
This is my first web presence, so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

www.nclawnmedic.com

Thanks,

Jeremy
nice site who set it up

NCLawnMedic
02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
nice site who set it up

I built it myself this winter and hosted it through powweb.com. It still needs some work though. Thanks for your support.

Green Dreams
02-19-2005, 09:13 PM
I always appreciate brutal honesty, too. But for a first one, it ain't too bad...

WKLGreen
02-19-2005, 09:23 PM

www.nclawnmedic.com

Thanks,

Jeremy
Remember that websites are about search engines not the people that are looking at them. Check mine out http://www.wellkeptlawn.com this is the second one I built and I guess my work got better over time. We live where a town may grow by as much as 25,000 people in 4 years and it has a high turn over rate of people moving around don't give up early on a site it takes time to get name recognition. Remember if you can build the start of it you will only improve with time. I don't have anything against the kids out there building websites for money but I also don't want to pay someone $100.00 just to add a pic or a text file.
Good Luck