PDA

View Full Version : Will a 52 Stander Rut?

Lawnkeeper
02-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Just talked to dealer, good price, drove around in his lot to see if it was worth setting up a real demo. It was worth it. I have my eye on a 52 and heard about some rutting problems with standers.

Will a 52 stander rut?
Under what conditions?

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Any mower will rut in the right conditions. My 61" never really gave me a problem accept when I got it stuck on a ditch once or twice.... Do the demo......but you will need to use it for a day or 2 to really get the feel......

Derek

cgland
02-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Most of the rutting problems you will here about Standers come from the 36" model or people who mow in the same direction EVERY time! :nono: . The 36" has very narrow tires in the back and still carries some weight, so it has a tendency to rut. We have 48"'s and 52"'s and never have a problem unless you are mowing a swamp. ;)

Chris

Legacy
02-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Yes,

They rut and they rut pretty badly in some cases.

scottt
02-19-2005, 05:17 PM
No more than any other mower would. Don't mow when your feet sink in the ground and don't run over the same exact tracks every time and you'll be fine. The older 36" is different, it uses very narrow tires and can cause ruts much easier.

Legacy
02-19-2005, 06:13 PM
No more than any other mower would. Don't mow when your feet sink in the ground and don't run over the same exact tracks every time and you'll be fine. The older 36" is different, it uses very narrow tires and can cause ruts much easier.

They rut MUCH worse than a walk behind and probably as bad as some riders!

jtkplc
02-20-2005, 01:09 AM
If you counter rotate correctly and are slow enough in turning, you will have no problem w/ rutting. In my experience with Standers, it's when you go into a turn with a lot of speed that you rut. I've spent many hours on a 52 Stander and have had no problem at all. I've found that because the machine is much lighter than a Z, it takes a lot to rut.

snap12.5
02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
They rut MUCH worse than a walk behind and probably as bad as some riders!
Yesterday 04:17 PM

It is important to note that the tires on a typical walk behind are much smaller than those of a 48" or 52" stander. A 52" stander has 10in tires. My walk behind has 6.5in tires. Quite a big difference!

Itsgottobegreen
02-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I have never had any ruts with my 52" standers. I have gotten it stuck. But never rutted with it.

impactlandscaping
02-21-2005, 02:15 AM
I've never rutted our 48's yet...you can tear up any yard with any mower, it's all in operator care and training. If a yard is soft enough to sink your feet, it's too wet to cut with any mower...

I'd like to hear some more from Legacy about his extensive expertise / owership / useage in the field of Wright Standers, please

Precision
02-21-2005, 08:36 AM
There is a guy who lives near me. Homeowner who runs over exactly the same lines everyweek with his 21". YOu should see the ruts. Pretty soon he will have to put taller tires on it to avoid scalping.

Any mower will rut. Rutting is user error not machine error.

change your angle of mowing at least every other week or at least shift your mow path over by at least the width of the tire every other week. The best way is north to south one week, then SW to NE the next, then SE to NW the next, then E to W the next.

If you do that and it is still rutting, then you are mowing in a monsoon with flat tires.