PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Trailer-Dedicated for Lawn Mowers

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Here is a trailer I designed and had built by a custom trailer building welding shop. It has both side load ramps and rear load ramp. I can now pull my 9 1/2 foot mower on without having to break it down. My wifes mower is behind the tandems, and my eXmark WB is between the fenders.
This is a 21' trailer - full 8' wide ahead and behind the tandems. We have a total of 20 1/2 foot of mowing swath involved in the three mowers.

Woody82986
02-19-2005, 02:56 PM
hey nice trailer. How much weight is one that trailer? How much is the trailer rated for? and How much does the trailer weigh empty? just curious.

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Probably 4500 lbs on the trailer - has two 3500 lb. axles - tortion suspension -I just loaded it for the first time today and took it down the road for a shake down cruise, and it really trails beautifully - The guy that builds these trailers uses all rectangular tubing - no angle iron - trailer is really tough.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-19-2005, 02:59 PM
wow u got the setup now

Woody82986
02-19-2005, 03:01 PM
One more question... what are you pulling it with? It looks like a tank of a trailer.

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 03:03 PM
2001 Dodge 2500 - Cummins Diesel - Actually has 1 ton springs. It is plenty of truck.

Woody82986
02-19-2005, 03:11 PM
That combo must make a pretty sight rolling down the road.

fga
02-19-2005, 03:14 PM
you think you'll block some driveways? ;) with the ramps down, i guess they can drive right over the trailer... that is one serious trailer.

mo-fleet
02-19-2005, 03:20 PM
2001 Dodge 2500 - Cummins Diesel - Actually has 1 ton springs. It is plenty of truck.
Got any pics of that Dodge? I've been thinking about how to up the whole rearend on my 2500 to a 1ton. Because I don't want a daully. How did you do yours?

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Got any pics of that Dodge? I've been thinking about how to up the whole rearend on my 2500 to a 1ton. Because I don't want a daully. How did you do yours?

Hang on mo-fleet - I will go take a pic right now - post it in a few minutes.

mo-fleet
02-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Wow what service! If you tend to your customers like that, can you come to PA to do my house? LOL

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 03:34 PM
mo-fleet - here is the truck in front of the trailer.

rodfather
02-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Hey Brad, what did ya pay for that? PM me if you don't want it said to the entire public...

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 03:38 PM
I paid $3950 - I think the price is very reasonable - They really put a heavy duty trailer together- The flooring is all wolmanized, clear planking, and it is really screwed down, and level. Nice super heavy duty jack on the front with the adjustable foot pad.

rodfather
02-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Sounds reasonable to me...my 17' deckovers are like 3300 or more these days.

mo-fleet
02-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Nice Dodge! Mine is a silver 2000 6'er. So how did you up the rearend? Just change the springs? Any thing else? I hope to find an easy fix.

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Nice Dodge! Mine is a silver 2000 6'er. So how did you up the rearend? Just change the springs? Any thing else? I hope to find an easy fix.

No, it is a 3/4 ton, factory tow package - the whole deal - If you get a cummins diesel or the V10 gas in a dodge 3/4 ton truck, they put the heavier springs on them, and call it a 2500 - 60 (heavy)

Everything on the truck is factory.

mo-fleet
02-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Aw. I thought a 3/4 ton was a 3/4ton and a 1 ton was a 1 ton. I did'nt know they up'd the suspension to 1 ton on a 2500 with a bigger engine. Thanks for telling me. I guess I will trade mine for a Cummins then! I was debating it any how. You just made up my mind for me! Thanks again Flexdeck!

Green lawns
02-19-2005, 06:23 PM
That is a great looking trailer and it all looks like its easy to load and easy to unload. great job! Your ready for the mowing season now.

DLCS
02-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Brad,

Wow, thats one sweet trailer you got there. Just curious are you mowing full time now.

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Brad,

Wow, thats one sweet trailer you got there. Just curious are you mowing full time now.

Not quite, but getting closer - just picked up the county parks (38 acres) for next year. You have to realize that since 1978, I work in the office 4 days a week, for 5-6 hrs per day - (No lunch break-we go straight thru, get out of there and go enjoy the outdoors.) Would like to get someone in with me at the office, and phase out.

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Very Nice....

& an Excellent Example of why an Open Trailer is One Hundred Times Better than an Enclosed for A Mowing Service.

fga
02-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Very Nice....

& an Excellent Example of why an Open Trailer is One Hundred Times Better than an Enclosed for A Mowing Service.
except when it starts raining... which was 50% of last year if i recall. i love an open trailer, (especially one like in this thread), but i am looking forward to the enclosed this year.

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Rain Won't Hurt Your Mowers...Cleans them a little.

Flex-Deck
02-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I had and enclosed trailer - got tired of having to unload the whole thing to get to the front mower if that was the one needed. Usually we would unload the whole thing, but it is still a single file deal, and took time.

Now the two operators can load and unload at the same time. Wow, I can't wait.

Lawrence Lawns
02-19-2005, 07:41 PM
except when it starts raining... which was 50% of last year if i recall. i love an open trailer, (especially one like in this thread), but i am looking forward to the enclosed this year.
We have both. And each on has their disadvantages. When one doesn't work, use the opposite.

The enclosed trailer is nice, but it's hard to get around. The open trailers are easy to get around but not nice. (because of rain/theft)

The enclosed trailer holds a "garage on wheels" to where an open one your limited.

An open trailer will fit any "high" piece of equipment. The enclosed trailer you have to haller: Watch that doorway with them ROPS's!!!

out4now
02-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Great looking setup!

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 08:30 AM
you think you'll block some driveways? ;) with the ramps down, i guess they can drive right over the trailer... that is one serious trailer.

Actually, I have the side ramps on the right side, and can pull up to the yard curb side, and unload right into the yard if the area is really cramped. I would have to lift the ramps to mow under them, but most places I mow have areas big enough to have room to leave the ramps down (ie parking lots - dead end cal-de-sacs etc.)

rodfather
02-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Brad, is that a toobox mounted on the side over the wheels?

stumper1620
02-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Nice set up flex.
congraates hope it works really well for you, not a bad price either. :D

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Brad, is that a toobox mounted on the side over the wheels?

Yes, I had an extra one sitting around, so bolted it lengthwise on top of the fender - It has tools, belts, string, the blower, and 2 cycle gas can, etc. in it.

ed2hess
02-20-2005, 02:15 PM
The enclosed trailer is nice, but it's hard to get around. The open trailers are easy to get around but not nice. (because of rain/theft)

We got both also but everything on the open trailer has to be locked down or they will eventually take something. It is easy to inventory what you have and snatch and run off the open trailer. It is really a pain to unlock each item as you use it and relock!

GrassBustersLawn
02-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Do you have some sort of "E-Z Lift" deal on all those gates? Or are you just dead lifting them?

Mike

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Do you have some sort of "E-Z Lift" deal on all those gates? Or are you just dead lifting them?

Mike

The 9 foot gate is a split gate = 4.5-4.5foot and the rear load gate which is a full 8 foot wide is a split gate. That makes them very managable. The back 6 foot gate which allows my wife to load her 6 1/2 foot mower (60inch deck + flex deck (18" extra, but folds up 90 degrees) is one solid piece. All the split gates have pins and tubes which lock them together when moving.

rodfather
02-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Hey Brad, how long did it take from conception of your trailer to the final product rollout?

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Brad, how long did it take from conception of your trailer to the final product rollout?

I planned the trailer on Turbo Cad one evening, met with the guy on a Wed. (My day off) - Trailer was done in three weeks.

SoloMow
02-21-2005, 12:08 AM
What a rig! :eek: I may have to refer you to my aunt and uncle who live between New London and Mt. Union. And, you know where that is, too! :jester: Iowa born, California raised, now living in Texas.

Flex-Deck
02-21-2005, 06:31 AM
What a rig! :eek: I may have to refer you to my aunt and uncle who live between New London and Mt. Union. And, you know where that is, too! :jester: Iowa born, California raised, now living in Texas.

What is their name? The blacktop between the two is only 12 miles from me.

dobehap
02-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Hey Brad, very nice trailer.

I would add a spring assist to those metal gates, and it should be good to go.

...SO.... are you still going to charge a $35 unload fee, now that unloading is made so much easier?

Flex-Deck
02-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey Brad, very nice trailer.

I would add a spring assist to those metal gates, and it should be good to go.

...SO.... are you still going to charge a $35 unload fee, now that unloading is made so much easier?

LOL - No, I just have a $35 minimum. It will stay. Thanks. And I am looking into spring assists that can be around the hinge areas. Got any leads on such animals - Can't use the cable type system because of the cables for one gate would interfere with the other, and or loading.

DLCS
02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
LOL - No, I just have a $35 minimum. It will stay. Thanks. And I am looking into spring assists that can be around the hinge areas. Got any leads on such animals - Can't use the cable type system because of the cables for one gate would interfere with the other, and or loading.

How about using the leaf spring under the gate for an assist. I got a picture somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Smalltimer1
02-21-2005, 11:06 AM
We have both. And each on has their disadvantages. When one doesn't work, use the opposite.

The enclosed trailer holds a "garage on wheels" to where an open one your limited.

An open trailer will fit any "high" piece of equipment. The enclosed trailer you have to haller: Watch that doorway with them ROPS's!!!

I was actually thinking about using a race car trailer, where it has a lockable bin or cabinet at the front and a open area at the rear for the mowers and put the side railings on it.

MMLawn
02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
How about using the leaf spring under the gate for an assist. I got a picture somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Several trailer companies make theirs that way, as I have a couple from different makers that have leaf spring connected under the gate for easy assist.

cantoo
02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Brad, tube frames are nice but they do rust from the inside out. You may want to cut a couple of holes and run water thru them once in awhile to get the crap out. I build trailers in my spare time, if I use tube I seal them good then put in a oil plug and run a couple of gallons of oil in them. Just be careful when welding on them.

LB1234
02-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Flex-Deck,

I'm curious as to the weight distribution on that trailer. Between drivers and passenger side that is. It seems as if the passenger/curb side is much heavier than the drivers side due to the gates. Is their any kind of counter-weight on the trailer to compensate for this? Just curious if you had in problems with swaying...especially when trailering at highway speeds. Anyway...that is a nice setup. Lots of luck with it.

freddyc
02-21-2005, 09:50 PM
man---you should name that thing the rampmaster!!
Its the adjustable wrench of the trailer world! :blob3:

Flex-Deck
02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Brad, tube frames are nice but they do rust from the inside out. You may want to cut a couple of holes and run water thru them once in awhile to get the crap out. I build trailers in my spare time, if I use tube I seal them good then put in a oil plug and run a couple of gallons of oil in them. Just be careful when welding on them.

cantoo - these people weld end tube seals in every place you can think of - this is one quality trailer.

Flex-Deck
02-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Flex-Deck,

I'm curious as to the weight distribution on that trailer. Between drivers and passenger side that is. It seems as if the passenger/curb side is much heavier than the drivers side due to the gates. Is their any kind of counter-weight on the trailer to compensate for this? Just curious if you had in problems with swaying...especially when trailering at highway speeds. Anyway...that is a nice setup. Lots of luck with it.

The counter balance is the fact that my mowers go on sideways with the diesel engines in the front - it pulls great down the road. No sway - No way.

SoloMow
02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
What is their name? The blacktop between the two is only 12 miles from me.

I know your location, Flex-Deck. I was born in Mt. Pleasant. :waving: Let me contact my uncle. If he needs any mowing this spring/summer, I will try to get back with you by private email. Which, by the way, I haven't yet been able to do on LawnSite! Something about not having enough posts to qualify!?

Flex-Deck
02-22-2005, 12:56 AM
I know your location, Flex-Deck. I was born in Mt. Pleasant. :waving: Let me contact my uncle. If he needs any mowing this spring/summer, I will try to get back with you by private email. Which, by the way, I haven't yet been able to do on LawnSite! Something about not having enough posts to qualify!?

You can not email on this site - my email is flex-dek@mepotelco.net
Thanks Brad

Todd's lawncare
02-22-2005, 01:46 AM
what if you only need the w/b put this gate and that gate down unload this and then that isn't there a better way to load it like wb in front side ways and j/ds in the back or some thing seems like a pain if you needed the wb and its in the middle

Flex-Deck
02-22-2005, 07:13 AM
what if you only need the w/b put this gate and that gate down unload this and then that isn't there a better way to load it like wb in front side ways and j/ds in the back or some thing seems like a pain if you needed the wb and its in the middle

The WB is a seldom used mower. The whole idea is to be able to pull my 9 1/2 foot wide mower on a trailer without disassembling it. To get the WB off the trailer will be easy though, because the back mower will in all probability already be in use, and all I do then is back up and turn the WB down the back side ramp.

Good point though, I can see where you may have gotten somewhat confused.

To reload the WB just go up the back ramp, turn right, and let it fall into the wheel locating 2x4's screwed down to the floor.

dobehap
02-22-2005, 08:59 AM
I did a search for spring assist here on lawnsite and it returned many results, heres one:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=63619&highlight=spring+assist

Flex-Deck
02-22-2005, 03:28 PM
I did a search for spring assist here on lawnsite and it returned many results, heres one:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=63619&highlight=spring+assist

Thanks, but I can not use cables like that since I have gates that are split and or at 90 degrees to each other.

Lawrence Lawns
02-24-2005, 03:57 PM
I was actually thinking about using a race car trailer, where it has a lockable bin or cabinet at the front and a open area at the rear for the mowers and put the side railings on it.

It will help, but it still won't keep 'em from snatching some trimmers or blowers if they are mounted on the wall.

If you get an enclosed, make sure you get it vented well, with the 2 side vents and atleast 2 on the top so you can lock it down if you will be out of sight from it. It only cost about $200 extra. That will help keep it cooler inside. And you won't have to worry about theft if your doing a large property.

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 04:39 PM
It will help, but it still won't keep 'em from snatching some trimmers or blowers if they are mounted on the wall.

If you get an enclosed, make sure you get it vented well, with the 2 side vents and atleast 2 on the top so you can lock it down if you will be out of sight from it. It only cost about $200 extra. That will help keep it cooler inside. And you won't have to worry about theft if your doing a large property.

If you read this post, be aware that my trailer is open - and I have pics at the beginning of the thread.

Patrick.B
02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
WOW nice trailer and equipments ,,,,i started out with a 42 inch cut john deer ,,,,good mower ....

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I am with you patrick - JD equipment just runs and runs - low and easy maintainance - Dealers give great support. When I unload the two JD mowers you see on the trailer, I figure $8 per hr. per machine, and that covers fuel, ins. depreciation, the whole gamit. That means when my wife and I are mowing and pulling in $110-$135 per hr., we are making a decent living.

rodfather
02-24-2005, 05:41 PM
I am with you patrick - JD equipment just runs and runs - low and easy maintainance - Dealers give great support. When I unload the two JD mowers you see on the trailer, I figure $8 per hr. per machine, and that covers fuel, ins. depreciation, the whole gamit. That means when my wife and I are mowing and pulling in $110-$135 per hr., we are making a decent living.

Including replacement Brad??? A $10,000 machine over 3000 hours is gonna run over 3 bucks alone there...

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Including replacement Brad??? A $10,000 machine over 3000 hours is gonna run over 3 bucks alone there...

Good point rodfather - I figure on at least 3000 hrs. more like 5000 - that is the $3 + $2 for fuel + $3 for filters, grease, repairs. And then when I get done, the machine is still worth something.

rodfather
02-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Good point rodfather - I figure on at least 3000 hrs. more like 5000 - that is the $3 + $2 for fuel + $3 for filters, grease, repairs. And then when I get done, the machine is still worth something.

True Brad...just don't confuse depreciation expense with replacement cost...the IRS doesn't I can tell ya.

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 10:50 PM
True Brad...just don't confuse depreciation expense with replacement cost...the IRS doesn't I can tell ya.

Don't worry, my tax guy does not seem to miss anything like that. What it really boils down to is that if you buy really tough - good equipment that will give 5000 hrs of trouble free performance, no price is too high. and on the other hand if something is not very tough or good, no price is cheap enough.

Shadetree Ltd
02-24-2005, 11:36 PM
The whole idea is to be able to pull my 9 1/2 foot wide mower on a trailer without disassembling it
All the posts over the years of efficiency and you forgot to mention that you have to dismantle that mower until now every time to trailer it? :D Just buggin you, the trailer looks like it will serve you well and increase your bottom line.

Scott

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
All the posts over the years of efficiency and you forgot to mention that you have to dismantle that mower until now every time to trailer it? :D Just buggin you, the trailer looks like it will serve you well and increase your bottom line.

Scott

Cool Scott - In the posts before, I mentioned that it is only two ball hitch recievers that only take a few seconds to do, and that was ok, except even a few seconds becomes a hassel. Just try to keep improving is my motto. every little bit helps.

Kind of like the enclosed trailer threads - I had an enclosed trailer. The problem with it was that you have to load it one mower at a time. I drove my wifes mower in, then unhooked the extra engine deck, pulled in front of it, hooked a chain hook (already on the extra deck) onto my tractor and pulled it in. Neat, and the weather was off the equipment (like a portable garage). BUT, I had to give the extra deck a push down the ramp gate, back my tractor out, and pull up to the extra deck, and flip the two ball hitch recievers on to the balls, then back my wifes mower out. Now we just drop gates and go-go-go.

Maybe this new trailer will only save 2-3 minutes per load unload, but over a summer, it is a lot of time, and even more important, IT IS JUST A LOT LESS HASSLE.

Am looking forward to mowing.

Meg-Mo
02-25-2005, 04:11 PM
WE use coil springs on our trailers and pick up ramps with one finger. Brad call and I will tell you how to get them

Flex-Deck
02-25-2005, 07:22 PM
WE use coil springs on our trailers and pick up ramps with one finger. Brad call and I will tell you how to get them

Thanks Roy - will call in the next few days. These have to be in the hinge area. I do not have room for the cables that run over the side ramps.

jangler91
02-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey Flex. Nice looking setup. Sure look like it's user friendly. When you figure out how your going to do your gate assist how about letting me know . I'm kind of in the same boat as you are with limited room for mounting on my side gate.

Flex-Deck
02-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Hey Flex. Nice looking setup. Sure look like it's user friendly. When you figure out how your going to do your gate assist how about letting me know . I'm kind of in the same boat as you are with limited room for mounting on my side gate.

Since my bigger gates are split, A gate assist is not exactly manditory, but I will try to think of something, as it is nice to have the help when lifting them up. Thanks Brad

DLCS
03-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Brad,

Check out the pictures in the thread of a members gate assist. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=57369&page=1&pp=10

Flex-Deck
03-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Brad,

Check out the pictures in the thread of a members gate assist. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=57369&page=1&pp=10

Thanks DLCS, but the cables above the side rails would interfere with the side gate in the rear, and since the back gate and front gate are split, I would need one on each side. I could put one on the left section of the rear gate, and the right section of the front side gate,

Thanks Brad

DLCS
03-02-2005, 11:23 AM
No cables needed, use these gas cylinders.