PDA

View Full Version : water sits in a couple spots in a yard

jeff_0
02-19-2005, 05:42 PM
A customer has some spots in her yard that water sites there when it's a lot of rain. It's a small yard around 8k sq ft or less. would you just rottertil the area up and add top soil or would you regrade most of the yard to make sure everything is graded currectly. Or is there something else that you would do in this case?

stumper1620
02-19-2005, 05:48 PM
A customer has some spots in her yard that water sites there when it's a lot of rain. It's a small yard around 8k sq ft or less. would you just rottertil the area up and add top soil or would you regrade most of the yard to make sure everything is graded currectly. Or is there something else that you would do in this case?

aerate, then get a post hole digger, dig a few vertical drains, holes in the lowest areas a couple feet deep then fill it with pea gravel, put a thin coat of soil on top to cover the drain. this is very effective on low area drainage.

newleaflandscape
02-19-2005, 06:11 PM
If its alot of water you can put a drain box in and run plastic tile away from the area. You could hook it into tile that runs her downspout water away, and if she doesnt have tile that runs the dounspout water away try and sell it to her. Little water though just add some topsoil to raise the area a little.

bobbygedd
02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
aerate, then get a post hole digger, dig a few vertical drains, holes in the lowest areas a couple feet deep then fill it with pea gravel, put a thin coat of soil on top to cover the drain. this is very effective on low area drainage.
do you just put the topsoil right on top of the pea gravel?

jeff_0
02-21-2005, 01:42 PM
will grass grow over top the pea gravel. this is new to me. i thought just add more topsoil to help with the slop (grade) wouldn't this work

Grassmechanic
02-21-2005, 03:25 PM

Before ripping up her yard, I'd try a wetting agent. Some soils are so "tight" that water cannot filtrate through it fast enough. A wetting agent may help in this type of situation. Just a thought....

cantoo
02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
If it wasn't that bad I would just add a little topsoil every couple of weeks until I got it where it was good enough.

stumper1620
02-24-2005, 07:29 AM
do you just put the topsoil right on top of the pea gravel?
you can just top soil on top but it has a tendency to wash in to the gravel, a small piece of landscape fabric would help hold the soil from going down thru.
I used to do these on golf course fairways all the time to stop standing water. We had some areas that we put small trenches from one hole to the other so the water would get to all the drains instead of just the lowest one taking it all the time. On the golf course we just covered them, but we also had to change the top few inches of gravel ever few years due to soil, ect. contaminating the top and plugging it off. I would use landscape fabric before covering it. a very thin layer of top soil.
by having the hole and filling with gravel it gives more soil contact area for the water to soak in. Yes turf will grow right over it. :D

Popper357
07-17-2005, 06:06 PM
back to this thread..

How deep would someone dig the post/drain hole? And how many would you install in general over a 1k' sqaure area that has water logged during rains.
Want to try this first before I do a drain tile.
Thanks

Precision
07-17-2005, 08:49 PM
If we are talking small puddles due to dips in the soil then fixing the depressions with added topsoil would work.
If you are talking about soil that won't pass water then you need to aerate and/or create a French drain. (the pea gravel thing). I would dig the hole at least 3-4 feet deep then fill the bottom with lava rock up to the a foot from the top, then a piece of landscape fabric, then 6 inches of pea gravel, some more fabric then 6 inches of topsoil.

The lava rock will fill the hole but still have tons of open space for the water to perk through. The pea gravel will firm up the area and the 6 inches of topsoil will be plenty for roots to get nutrients.

Precision
07-17-2005, 08:55 PM
back to this thread..

How deep would someone dig the post/drain hole? And how many would you install in general over a 1k' sqaure area that has water logged during rains.
Want to try this first before I do a drain tile.
Thanks

If the area is 1K then you probably have an issue of underlying soil compaction or clay in addition to wrong sloping. Unless you can dig through the underlying barrier a french drain won't work. At least not as well as you would like.

Imagine a coffee saucer shape made out of clay under the soil. Say it is at a depth of 5 feet. The water will sit in this area and only drain off over the edges. This will create a marsh overhead because it is only disappearing due to evaporation.

Now if you poke 5 or 6, 6" wide holes through the clay and put the lava rock there to keep the clay from seeping back in to fill the hole. The "saucer" will leak through the holes to better perking soil and voila you have drainage.

Unfortunately, the only way to know if it will work is to do it and see. well that or use ground penetrating radar to map the soil strata.

sbvfd592
07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
precision you hit my nail on the head. but you could just use trap rock.

Popper357
07-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Real nice info thanks

I will relay the info ASAP to my client and begin a proposal.

How deep should the holes be? Till I bypass the clay/saucer floor? I will aerate the lawn as well. Thanks again for stepping up and getting me the info

Popper357
07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Also how much rock will go into 6 9" holes that are 4 foot deep? Trying to figure out how much to bid this work at. How much do guys charge for this service? I'll seed the top sod and probably haul off the unused soil from the holes.
Thanks

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
That's that geometry thing again

Precision
07-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Also how much rock will go into 6 9" holes that are 4 foot deep? Trying to figure out how much to bid this work at. How much do guys charge for this service? I'll seed the top sod and probably haul off the unused soil from the holes.
Thanks

Suggestions. bring a wheelbarrow and mix in some sand (2 bags at $2 each) with the dirt and clay and spread it over any low areas up to 1/2 in thick. No need to haul it off and you can even charge a little extra for that or get some good will by saying you will do that for free (obviously just add it into the price of the other work).

My brain is kinda burnt, but I would plan on 3 bags of lava rock per 2 holes and 1 maybe 2 bags of pea gravel total. Or if available (and cheaper) just get a yard of lava rock and be done with it. If you buy the bags at Homer then just return what you don't use.

Hope this helps and hope it works.