PDA

View Full Version : Troy-Bilt 21" non-commercial

Sir Mow-A-Lot
02-19-2005, 08:39 PM
What kind of reputation do these machines have? I am in need of a trim mower but don't have $1000 to spend on a commercial one. I saw a 2005 Troy-Bilt at Lowe's for about $229. Its got a 6.75 horse briggs & stratton, and it can mulch, side discharge, or rear bag. It's not self-propelled (which i do not like for trim mowers) and has oversized rear wheels.

I am a part-timer. I don't anticipate to use the trim mower more than 5hrs a week. So, how do these machines rank amongst Craftsman, lower end Hondas, Lawn Boy, etc. Thanks.

sanfordandsonfan
02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
I think it will probably work great for you. I have been mowing for a living the past five years. All the 21" mowers from lowes and homedepot are about the same in my opinion. They usaully last about one full season, and it gets donated to the landfill. Spring comes along and I spend $250.00 and make thousands. It's been working for me, and hope it works for you.

Legacy
02-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Do yourself a favor..

spend a little more $300 and get a Honda push trim mower!! Much better mower for the money..the Troy Bilt is a rebadged MTD!

Sir Mow-A-Lot
02-19-2005, 09:58 PM
fuel for thought. thanks guys.

Travis Followell
02-20-2005, 09:33 AM
For a trim mower the Troy-Bilt would probibly work pretty good for you.

mc752000
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a Troy built for my trim mower and I use it about 10hours a week for the past 2 years and still going strong. So I think it would do good for you!

Mark McC
02-20-2005, 10:23 PM
I think it's dicey. Could work out for you or the thing could go on the fritz a week after the warranty goes poops out. If you can't afford a grand for a full-grade commercial 21, get what you can, but know there's a substantial risk with homeowner-grade equipment.

jtkplc
02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
The company I work for has Troy-Bilts. They have the 6.75 HP Briggs and the large rear wheels. I have a Honda HRX 217 of my own. The bagging of the Troy-Bilt isn't very efficient. The opening to the bag is small, and when trying to dump clippings it takes a lot longer than it should. I would go with the advise already given and look into the Honda's. Great machines. The Xenoy deck is awesome. It will never get grass stuck to it. I've used it an entire season and have nothing stick to it. The mulching is awesome. I also love the Versa-Mow system that lets you regulate the percent you bag or mulch. Another thing I don't like about the Troy-Bilts are the front wheel self-propelled. This may just be personal preference, however.

Toy2
02-20-2005, 11:40 PM
What did you pay for your Honda HRX 217, did you get it at a Honda dealer? I can't locate a dealer close to me and would have to drive 90 miles to get to one.

thanks

Green lawns
02-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I would go with a Honda over the troy-bilt. You can get that model at Home Depot! I know you don't want to spend the extra money, but we run the Toro prolines. Go with the Honda for amount of hours you will be using it.

jtkplc
02-21-2005, 12:05 AM
What did you pay for your Honda HRX 217, did you get it at a Honda dealer? I can't locate a dealer close to me and would have to drive 90 miles to get to one.

thanks

Around $600. It was a graduation present, so I'm not sure of the exact cost.

Sir Mow-A-Lot
02-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Went to home depot today. They had new Hondas in for about $479 and also new Lawn-Boys in for about $379.00

I do like the Hondas, and have heard many good things. What i didn't like about it was that it didnt have a side discharge. Just mulch & Bag.

The lawn Boys had the 3 in 1 option -But they looked a little chincy- almost toy-like. I wish they still had the 2-stroke engine.

Anyways, i'm still up in the air.

nobagger
02-22-2005, 08:08 PM
We use Troy-Built trimmers because I'm tired of spending $250-$350 for commercial trimmers. Our trimmers have held up so I'm sure the mower with limited use would do well for you. Just do the maintenance religiously.

PTP
02-22-2005, 10:19 PM
The kind of mower that you get will make a huge difference. It is not just about how long the mower will last but it is also about how well it will perform while you have it.

I started with a Craftsman and then 2 years later moved to a Toro. Both were homeowner machines. There was a night and day difference between the two. They both had about the same HP but the Toro could mulch what the Craftsman could barely bag.

I highly recommend Honda or Toro even if you buy the homeowner quality machines.

PMLAWN
02-23-2005, 12:23 AM
I have to say go with a commercial mower----BUT--- If you really can't and you want to stay with the homeowner stuff do yourself a favor and stay away from the big wheel in the back. The wheel is plastic and being big, has a lot of leverage that can bend or break it. We had a POS for some crap work and the wheels would break very easy. Went with the $179 MTD with the small wheels and it has lasted two years now. And we really beat this mower. We use it like a mini bush hog. Never did see or feel a difference in the effort to push it but the big wheels would fold up .