PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far

rather be mowin
02-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I am starting out this year and I have several area's(cities) as options, I live in the country and have to travel at least 25 Min to get to almost anywhere. However there is a very lucrative area( lots of high end homes) about 45 min away. Am I nuts to look at the one 45 Min away? Just curious if others are having to travel this much to get accounts. :confused:

K&L Landscaping
02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Keep your routes as tight as possible. If you can get enough jobs to keep you busy all day in that location I can't see why not. If it is just 1-2 jobs I would stay away.

plateau lawn care
02-19-2005, 08:10 PM
like K & L said if you get at least a days worth unless you just absolutly need some income . Depending on the lawn size you can get 6 or 7 in that one place would be ok.

Precision
02-19-2005, 10:22 PM
A fellow LCO near me drives 30 miles one way 3 days per week to get to his area. But he gets much better prices for easier lawns and once he is there he has very little drive time. It works out great for him.

I drive 25 miles one way, one day per week same reason. distance is relative to profit. And you can start early to get on site on time, just be aware forgetting something like a blower will kill you. (done it.)

satch
02-19-2005, 10:35 PM
I have 1 apt complex that is 55 miles away and another that is 47 miles away.Normally i would say its crazy but i am paid well for these 2 properties.In short it comes down to the money.If the pay isnt great stay as close to home as possible.

Shawns Lawns
02-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Keep your routes as tight as possible. If you can get enough jobs to keep you busy all day in that location I can't see why not. If it is just 1-2 jobs I would stay away.
good point and he is right you dont want to spend most of your day behind the wheel driving from one home to another.

aries
02-20-2005, 11:57 AM
I have to drive 30-45 min 1 way to start my accounts its OK once I am their all the accounts are in 2 towns but then the drive home again! gotta go were the money is payup payup payup

MOW ED
02-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Like they said, it has to be worth your while. One job may not be worth it unless you are looking at an all day affair but just remember that if you are spread out and have some rain days it is a bear to be running all over creation to catch up.
I know a guy that has his 6 person crew drive 40 minutes to an all day job. It pays very well and all 6 mowers are workin all day long. If you can get the work its worth a try but I personally have a tight route within 5 miles of my home. Good Luck.

rodfather
02-20-2005, 04:01 PM
I am starting out this year and I have several area's(cities) as options, I live in the country and have to travel at least 25 Min to get to almost anywhere. However there is a very lucrative area( lots of high end homes) about 45 min away. Am I nuts to look at the one 45 Min away? Just curious if others are having to travel this much to get accounts. :confused:

I think in the beginnng, you gotta do what ya gotta do...if that includes traveling, so be it to get established.