PDA

View Full Version : how soon can you start...TEAM

fga
02-19-2005, 09:05 PM
how soon can start clean ups and apply pre emergents, like TEAM? if you put it down too early, will it cut back on the effeciency of the preventer? if i started in say a week and a half, would i still wind up with crabgrass?? i need to get my clean ups started early, but still want an effective product.

plateau lawn care
02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Here in georgia we're suppose to put out pre-emerge march 1st and september 1st maybe once inbetween depends on who you talk to..

lawnguyland
02-19-2005, 09:44 PM
HEy man, best results for pre-m around here (and you) are to apply when forsythia blooms and possibly split apps then and 6 weeks later. I always want to start spcus around march 7th, but weather is king so I start ASAP, however, you can start clean-ups and do the apps later.

Richard Martin
02-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Ditto what lawnguyland said. Crabgrass seeds start to germinate at 55 degrees average soil temp. which just so happens to be the time that Forsythia blooms. Strangely enough though TG/CL is already putting their pre-em apps down in my area and the ground is rock hard. I think we're looking at 3 weeks before Forsythia blooms

Mo Green
02-20-2005, 08:07 AM
But what happens if you put the pre-ems down a week or two before that? Will it be a waste?

Also, once pre-ems are applied, can seed be applied also?

lawnguyland
02-20-2005, 10:02 AM
But what happens if you put the pre-ems down a week or two before that? Will it be a waste?

Also, once pre-ems are applied, can seed be applied also?

It can be wasteful, yes, and should be applied according to labeling. The longer you can wait to put it down the better, as long as it's not tooooo late.
You can seed with Tupersan pre-m, and really with the others, but it's best to wait to spot seed until about a week after pre-m, longer=better. Then break up the soil as much as possible b4 seeding. If you have large areas to seed try to avoid the pre-m there.

MOW ED
02-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Adam,
I am answering you with my own experience using Team-Pro in my spring ap. I am in northern Wisconsin and have a mixture of KY blue red fescue and rye cultivars. I have found that to truthfully control crabgrass it is necessary to apply in the fall as wellas the spring. Even with that I still find that crabgrass occurs. My approach has been to take each property on an individual basis. If it is a high profile lawn and the owner is intolerent of crab or any other weeds I will give the full treatment. Most times however I find that people are tolerent of some weed and crab and if I get a complaint then I can spot treat as needed.
I do put preemerg down in April and it gives me about a 6 week barrier. I use granular Team-Pro and I do still find some crab and weeds do get by. I can deal with that in my late spring post emerg spraying. I would say to read the lable on whatever you use as it is a pesticide and every product has its own set of directions that you are obligated to follow and I am sure you do.
That being said, I will not put any preemerg down if there is a possibliity of having to overseed. Most Preemerg by nature disrupts the germination of seed including the good ones that you put down. As stated there are products that will allow you to overseed but you have to weigh cost as opposed to other forms of treatment (post emerg) later. That is a site specific way of dealing with unwanted growth. It also depends on the level of control and quality of turf that the owner wants to pay for.
Good Luck with the upcoming season. As I write this I am looking at the potential of 6 wet heavy inches of snow on my almost bare lawn. Spring is near.

Aleman
02-20-2005, 10:44 AM
"I have found that to truthfully control crabgrass it is necessary to apply in the fall as wellas the spring."

Im just curious why you would apply a pre emergent in the fall to control a summer annual???

MOW ED
02-20-2005, 12:40 PM
There have been studies done on effective pre em applications that are done in the fall which are documented.
Aleman, do a google search for crabgrass germination and find the one from Jack Fry about 6 threads down. It says Crabgrass control with fall applied pre-emergents. A study done in 1996-7 documents the positive use of pre em in some situations. It is a very interesting concept and I guarantee you will learn something from reading it. Thats why we are here aren't we.

Aleman
02-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Interesting article Ed. From what I gathered by reading it, I would think the only advantage to a late fall application vs early spring would be for time saving. I dont think the control results would be better but now I do understand why you would do it. :D

Richard Martin
02-20-2005, 02:03 PM
A little explanation into why a fall pre-em app would be effective would have been nice. Jack Fry simply tells us that it does work and give no reasoning why a chemical that has basically degraded beyond effectiveness after 6 to 8 weeks would still be effective for far longer if applied in the fall. Perhaps it is the slowing of the microbes or the lack of sunlight but there surely must be a reason. Do you not agree?

tinman
02-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Walter Reeves (gardening guy on radio here in GA) said yesterday that it is a little early to put out Pre - EM right now but it is ok to go ahead do it especially with rain in the forecast for this week. http://www.walterreeves.com/lawns/