PDA

View Full Version : Where Is California??

SoloMow
02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
While sipping a few light beers tonight, a question popped into my mind. Imagine that! :D I have been a LawnSite member for about 3 months. My question is: Where is California? I have read posts from every part of the country represented here on LawnSite EXCEPT California? I see posts from New England, Atlantic Coast, Florida, Mid-West, Mid-South, Gulf Coast, Pacific Northwest, and Southwest. I was born in Iowa, grew up in Southern California, and moved to Texas. Am I totally mistaken or do California LCO's not post very often? I'm off to the refrigerator. :drinkup:

stumper1620
02-19-2005, 08:39 PM
While sipping a few light beers tonight, a question popped into my mind. Imagine that! :D I have been a LawnSite member for about 3 months. My question is: Where is California? I have read posts from every part of the country represented here on LawnSite EXCEPT California? I see posts from New England, Atlantic Coast, Florida, Mid-West, Mid-South, Gulf Coast, Pacific Northwest, and Southwest. I was born in Iowa, grew up in Southern California, and moved to Texas. Am I totally mistaken or do California LCO's not post very often? I'm off to the refrigerator. :drinkup:
they are out there.
there was a few of them all the same night a few nights ago.

PLM-1
02-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I was thinking that to myself a few nights ago! I wonder why there aren't many LCO's on here from the west?

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2005, 08:59 PM
From What I Understand You can Thank California for all These Annoying Enviro-Nut Laws..

-Spark Arrestor Screens...Thanks California.
-2-Cycle Regulations that Killed the Great Suzuki and Duraforce Engines...& Screwed up the Carbs on the Stick Tools...Thanks California.

They're Probably too Busy Mowing Lawns w/Reel Mowers and Trimming w/scissors and "blowing" w/Push Brooms to Post Much...

jaybird
02-19-2005, 10:34 PM
smoking grass instead of mowing it. maybe.

beransfixitinc
02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
I would suppose they are too tired after a full day of manually pushing a reel mower, swinging a scythe, and using hand shears for hedges to be able to have any energy left to get on and type on lawnsite.

Stephen M.
02-19-2005, 10:47 PM
one earthquake too many have probably moved their brain cells around to the point that they have CRS disease. :laugh:

battags
02-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Wow! I've never thought about it, but he's right! I can't think of one LS member, let alone one whose been here for a while, that is from the Left Coast.

Well, let's see if any of them post!

Brian

Robert F
02-20-2005, 01:50 AM
From what I see around Los Angeles here is most of the guys that do lawns don't speak or write english. Ever heard of getting your yard done, front and back, done every week, it's all bagged AND edged all for a monthly total of... $50! Most of those guys I doubt have computers. Besides those guys you have a few like me and then you have the big companies that do most of the commercial properties.

There ya go.... not too many real LCO's in my neck of the woods.

Popsicle
02-20-2005, 02:14 AM
From what I see around Los Angeles here is most of the guys that do lawns don't speak or write english. Ever heard of getting your yard done, front and back, done every week, it's all bagged AND edged all for a monthly total of... $50! Most of those guys I doubt have computers. Besides those guys you have a few like me and then you have the big companies that do most of the commercial properties.

My brother was maintaining our grandmothers lawn (central coast) for her until this past year. He called to let me know he found someone who cuts (bagged/hauled off), line trims, and blows every week plus fertilizing for $60/month. I had him call the guy twice to check the price. "There's no way...it's not possible!"

mtdman
02-20-2005, 02:49 AM
I was just pondering this myself the other night. What I came up with was the fact that there are so many amigos in CA that they pretty much cover the demand for lawn care, but not on a big business level. I'm thinking that lots of people in cali hire them as domestic workers and they just work on the grounds at each house, not a lot of lcos needed.

Either that, or I dunno.

:D

impactlandscaping
02-20-2005, 08:24 AM
From What I Understand You can Thank California for all These Annoying Enviro-Nut Laws..

-Spark Arrestor Screens...Thanks California.
-2-Cycle Regulations that Killed the Great Suzuki and Duraforce Engines...& Screwed up the Carbs on the Stick Tools...Thanks California.

They're Probably too Busy Mowing Lawns w/Reel Mowers and Trimming w/scissors and "blowing" w/Push Brooms to Post Much...

I actually agree, fareway...not too many "legit" lcos due to egregious laws over there, and the illegal population...

Mo Green
02-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Maybe all of the California guys are on a Latin American Lawnsite. Se habla espanol? :laugh:

Charles
02-20-2005, 08:52 AM

The whole country will be like this soon. Just a matter of time. Lawn care, trucking will be taken over by people willing to work for peanuts

rodfather
02-20-2005, 08:54 AM
I always thought for it's size there was not alot of replies from CA guys...more from Oregon or Washington.

bayfish
02-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Not much need out there...most of the state has been paved.

Henry
02-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I took notice of this years ago while watching a movie, maybe karate kid or something. When a movie is based in CA you always see a guy doing some kind of landscape work and it's always like this:

1 guy, usually latino, possibly the same one in all movies
green or beige uniform
late 60's, early 70's pick-up, faded but no rust

Tools he uses:

push mower
12" hedge shears
rake
garden hose, which he brings with him (if you don't see him actually using it, it's hanging off the rack on the truck)

desert rose gardening
02-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Funny! Funny! For starters REL MEN don't drink LIGHT beer! Just kidding, Im a Whisky rocking roller. We do work all year out here thats why I do this kind of work. I don't post alot on here I still think typing is for girls, just kidding. There is a lot of big outfits out here that like to hire non english speaking workers. That comes in to my favor being a citizen and speaking only English. This site is pretty much useless for me. Everyone on here is from the other side of the country! You have diffderent tools, plants, Most of you guys arn't even working now?!?! It would be nice to find a Lawn care forum that is in So California. Oh well, You guys get ready Spring is a comming!

randy_will
02-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm from Central California. White male, green shirts, no uniform, 01 dodge truck. I've been an lco part time for a couple years. On target to go full time next year.

I check in and read from time to time but don't post much. Still learning as much as possible.

Besides the BIG guys in my area I've only seen what would appear to be two or three legit LCO's. But, there are tons of guys with late 60's, early 70's pick-up, faded but no rust...... and excellent tans.

Finding the right customers for my business is getting better with each referral. I'll keep plugging along, reading this website, post only if I feel I have useful information to contribute and... pressing 1 for English.

:laugh:

Grassmechanic
02-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Wow! I've never thought about it, but he's right! I can't think of one LS member, let alone one whose been here for a while, that is from the Left Coast.

Well, let's see if any of them post!

Brian

Bill Schwab from Solana Beach is a regular contibutor, although I haven't seen him post for a few days.

Wells
02-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I have noticed over the years that the East has allot stronger representation on this board than the West does. I have been trying to figure out why this is for years.

You rarely see other LCO's from:
Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, California, Montana, Idaho etc.

I can read this board on any given day and find 3-4 LCO's from NJ, NY, and Florida but when is the last time you heard from anyone from Montana, Idaho or Nevada?

I might be wrong but I think that back East you have more hispanic laborers and less hispanic LCO owners while out West we are seeing more and more hispanic LCO busineses starting up every year.

The other thing is there might be allot of LCO from the West that just come here to read and learn but not necessarily participate.

ilovethisgame
02-20-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm too busy reading "scrub test" and "who builds the best mower" threads. :confused:

Robert F
02-20-2005, 03:54 PM
I might be wrong but I think that back East you have more hispanic laborers and less hispanic LCO owners while out West we are seeing more and more hispanic LCO busineses starting up every year.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them businesses. Checking a ten of the cards that have been left at my house the past few weeks I found only two were registered businesses. All of my neighbors are asked to write checks to the man himself, not any DBA or anything.

BryPaulD
02-20-2005, 04:05 PM
There are no LCO's in California due to the tough emmisions standards.

Robert F
02-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Hahaha you know it's bad when you have gas cans JUST for California. Special gas cans to reduce emissions from them. :eek:

ilovethisgame
02-20-2005, 04:30 PM

I must have missed the memo. In reality we have a five year head start on what is now a nation wide emissions reduction program. P.S. folks stop hating on push mowers, hand shears, and brooms I can only fit so much in the trunk of my Honda Hybrid.

Fareway Lawncare
03-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Kailfornia is Not Here Because of this http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=98146&page=1&highlight=california

Wake Up & Smell the Coffee

I Thank The Lord That I Will be Retiring in 2 Years & that I have Burned Enough Gas & spread Enough Chemicals to Make Life in Luxury Possible.

desert rose gardening
03-10-2005, 10:01 AM
We work all year in California, we don't have time to sit and type like little Sissy's!

JustMowIt
03-10-2005, 11:36 AM

Mueller Landscape is a member from S. Cal

Updog
03-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Do you guys offer sandraking too. I make annual trips to Joshua Tree and the cities around most folks don't have grass they just rake their sand.

lampeslawnservice
03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
See we ship factory jobs to them so they can make $40-$60 a week. The factory executives get in good with a few workers and say "would you be interested in mowing my lawn for $15." To them that's like $15 an hour as opposed to $1. Plus, it gets their foot in the door for their old lady to clean the house, and kids to clean the pool. Heck, some of these guys could be bringing home an extra $100 a month. :dizzy: To them thats gold

gusbuster
03-11-2005, 12:07 AM
I find this thread real funny.

Some of the original cast on this site know me and I was probably one of the first left coast posters. I just prefer to write on a different lawn INTERNET site as I find less post that would apply to me due to all the newbies to this big site.

I give you why you don't find too many California people here on this board.

The maintenance trade in this state is 99.9% Latino. Most of these guys are fly by nights, but many of them, such as some former crew members of my dad's and myself figured out that to make money, you need to be your own boss.

So these guys, most who don't even have a high school education, you think they are going to own a computer?

As to some earlier post on this thread....
Emission requirements: California has always been ahead of the game before feds require other states to follow.Not everybody born here in this state are enviroMental, tree huggers. However, I will look at a natural remedy WHEN practical. For example, the use of tobacco juice as a natural insecticide that I tell my clients to try.

California gas cans, that's a first for me. Try more like mandatory no spill cans. I don't see how you can build a non-venting gas can

I will admit that the maintenance side of this trade has gone to pots, specially the last 15 years. You survive because you charge a fair price and do excellent work.

The other thing, not trying to brag but to make a point, the route that I do is all incorporated within a 15 mile radius. So on average in perfect conditions, 1 of my crew of 2 will average me over $500 over my daily operating cost 52 weeks a year.

How do we achieve this, well for starters, if you've been in this trade over 30 years, you build up a route that is close to each other. The lawns, well in my area, the biggest residential lawn I do is a corner house that is only 2200 sq. ft.. On average, most of the lawns I take care of are less than 900 sq.ft.

sdwally
03-11-2005, 09:32 AM
I also post here on occassion, mainly the mechanic forum as I repair heavy turf equipment. As stated above we use equipment that is not the same. Our unit is different then most LCOs. Our crews main just mow, sweep, and renovate, since I work for a city entity. On site staff get the pleasure of weeding, trimming, and edging. Our crew mows over 2000 acres weekly. IE larger machines. Our smallest rotary is 72" ZTRs.
And as stated above we mow year round. Basically two seasons here, spring and fall. Most of us have many outside hobbies that our time while you all in the east are trying to stay warm inside while the snow is on the ground. If weather is nice in the summer, hit the surf; if bad off road in the backcountry. If weather is nice in the winter, hit the surf; if bad hits the local slopes and ski which isn't too far of a drive. Know a few that hit the surf in morning before work and drive to hit the slopes after work. With these schedules we don't have much time to sit and type.
As far as the "enviro nuts", yes our state has the biggest share them. We are constantly having to change the way we do business to meet new state guidelines. Which the ones that work, slowly make it east. :)

SoloMow
05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I find this thread real funny.

Some of the original cast on this site know me and I was probably one of the first left coast posters. I just prefer to write on a different lawn INTERNET site as I find less post that would apply to me due to all the newbies to this big site.

I give you why you don't find too many California people here on this board.

The maintenance trade in this state is 99.9% Latino. Most of these guys are fly by nights, but many of them, such as some former crew members of my dad's and myself figured out that to make money, you need to be your own boss.

So these guys, most who don't even have a high school education, you think they are going to own a computer?

As to some earlier post on this thread....
Emission requirements: California has always been ahead of the game before feds require other states to follow.Not everybody born here in this state are enviroMental, tree huggers. However, I will look at a natural remedy WHEN practical. For example, the use of tobacco juice as a natural insecticide that I tell my clients to try.

California gas cans, that's a first for me. Try more like mandatory no spill cans. I don't see how you can build a non-venting gas can

I will admit that the maintenance side of this trade has gone to pots, specially the last 15 years. You survive because you charge a fair price and do excellent work.

The other thing, not trying to brag but to make a point, the route that I do is all incorporated within a 15 mile radius. So on average in perfect conditions, 1 of my crew of 2 will average me over $500 over my daily operating cost 52 weeks a year.

How do we achieve this, well for starters, if you've been in this trade over 30 years, you build up a route that is close to each other. The lawns, well in my area, the biggest residential lawn I do is a corner house that is only 2200 sq. ft.. On average, most of the lawns I take care of are less than 900 sq.ft.

Hmmmmmm........... 99.9% Latino lawn maintenance and no computer ownership........ This seems to answer my question about California LCO's posting on LawnSite. Thanks.

amlawn
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
too Busy Mowing Lawns w/Reel Mowers and Trimming w/scissors and "blowing" w/Push Brooms to Post Much....... Pray it don't happen to you!!
"we" haven't gone that far down yet, and I say yet.. Actually with the sun shining all year long it's hard to sit at the pc for any length of time until the sun goes down. All in all this is a great site and i recommend it to all my fellow LCO friends.(why they don't sign up I don't know), they're probably lurking right now. jim

Runner
05-02-2005, 11:07 PM
What gets me, are the guys from Hawaii. TC is one. I feel sorry for these guys.... They have to deal with that terrible weather all year, then, there is the fresh air issue, not to mention the scenery and lifestyle. LOL There WAS one member on here, from a few years ago. I don't remember what island he was on, but he took care of a few nice hotels. I wish I could remember who that was.

RELIABLELAWNMAN
05-03-2005, 12:05 AM
This brown guy (1/2 Filipino, 1/2 Caucasian) speaks very good English, owns 2 computers, licensed, insured, 01 Dodge Ram, owns to much equipment to haul everything on my trailer, advertised only one time when starting full time lawn
business 9 1/2 years ago, works side by side with my wife, and pays taxes. Yes, there are a lot of want-a-be LCO,s here in Fresno (Ag capital of the world) but there is enough residential and commercial building going on to keep us in business. When you offer good service, word of mouth is the best and cheapest advertisement. My wife and I actually turn down new business.
Just my 2 cents.
When is it going to stop raining?
:cool2:

rsls
05-03-2005, 12:45 AM
from cali here too!!! sure wish more of us would post on here!!! :blob3:

Soupy
05-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Have you guys seen the new lawn forum in latin? It seems to have quit a few members for being new.

Sorry, don't ask for a link because I can't post it. But you guys that frequent the other lawn related forums probably know what I am talking about.