PDA

View Full Version : PVC Pipe Cutter at Lowe's

DFW Area Landscaper
02-19-2005, 11:00 PM
I am in the process of purchasing trailers and equipment for two new crews this spring. I always carry a piece of 1/2" PVC & 3/4" PVC, various risers, elbows, primer, glue, and adjustable spray heads...just in case we knock off a sprinkler head...we can fix it on the spot.

Well, I was in Lowe's this afternoon. Can't believe it.

A replacement blade for a PVC pipe cutter is $10.xx. A new PVC pipe cutter is...get this...$29.95!!!! :mad:

I found some on ebay for about $5 each if I buy five at a time. Is Lowe's insane or what?

What are others paying for PVC pipe cutters around the country?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

SWD
02-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Not to be rude, but are you a licensed Landscape Irrigator in Texas?
If you are, great. If you are not, don't get caught doing your own repairs.
Big trouble, bigger fines.
As far as pipe cutters, invest in a professional plumbers compound shears.
Yes they are expensive at first-but I have two pairs that have lasted for over 1000 cuts and are still going strong.
The cheapies at the box stores don't even last one install.

Jackman
02-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Why not just use a hacksaw and clean the edge with a flat file, it would take minamal time and work.....

DFW Area Landscaper
02-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Good idea with the hack saw blade. I mean, my crews might bust 10 sprinkler heads all year. I just couldn't believe THIRTY bucks for a friggin' pipe cutter.

I gotta start watching prices at the giant hardware stores...lowes and home depot. They've run Ace hardware out of business in my community and with the exception of a small lumber yard (84 Lumber), they're the only game in town.

I bought a box knife at Lowe's for like $8.99 or something. Lost it. Went to Wal-mart for a new one. $3.49.

These two retailers are out of control. And Home Depot is generally even more expensive.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Jackman
02-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Heres a price joke I found, I went to my local big chain auto parts store to buy the D.O.T required refective tape and paid 25 dollars for (5) 12" strips which was enough to make the trailer legal but I still had another trailer and 2 trucks to do so I shopped around and found the exact same strips at Walmart for 8 dollars and change..... What a comparison auto store 100 dollars to do all vehicles or Walmart 32 dollars for the exact same product....

DFW Area Landscaper
02-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Yes. AutoZone is out of control too. All the Napas are slowly going under and the old mom and pops have been gone for a long time in my area. For auto parts, I've got dealerships, Autozone, Napa and O'Reily. That's it.

Walmart taught america a bad lesson. They've run so many of their competitors out of business, yet they're not gouging consumers with higher prices. But Lowe's, Home Depot and AutoZone aren't playing that game. They're running their competitors out of business and charging everything they can.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

aries
02-20-2005, 09:04 AM
The big chain stores buy in bulk and the manufactures make products just for them! which is usually a cheaper grade just check some of the power tools they have and compare the model numbers with reputable power tool sales company you will find a diff, I bought a sawzall about 6 years ago at homecheapo! about a month after use the head broke I took it to get repaired the guy told me that they make this type only for them and could not get the parts needed to repair it so 150 bucks later in the dumpster it went!

Gautreaux's LNG
02-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Maybe Wal-Mart should try the lawn care business!

Just think how much they could make? Buying Exmarks 2500 at a time, Stihl Trimmers 5000 at a time, Ford Truck 1500 at a time, They would save a FORTUNE on equiupment, hire a couple thousand H2B employees and BAM!... They can cut that $45.00 yard for $25.00.... and still turn a profit!

The Wal-Martization of America!!!

turftammer
02-20-2005, 10:35 AM
take swd's advice buy a good set I have a rigid pvc cutter and have had it for about 5 years and haven't replaced the blade yet

gramps
02-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Not to be rude, but are you a licensed Landscape Irrigator in Texas?
If you are, great. If you are not, don't get caught doing your own repairs.
Big trouble, bigger fines.
As far as pipe cutters, invest in a professional plumbers compound shears.
Yes they are expensive at first-but I have two pairs that have lasted for over 1000 cuts and are still going strong.
The cheapies at the box stores don't even last one install.
must need money bad in texas.irrigator lic. :laugh:

YardPro
02-20-2005, 02:54 PM
we pay $50.00 for a good ratcheting pipe cutter.

and as far as the hacksaw goes.... LOL.. no way in heck. if you're cutting a piece of vertical pipe, you have to dig a huge hole to get the hacksaw in and have room to work. also some shavings will always get into the pipe.

lastly i can cut 5-6 pieces of pipe before you get through one with the hacksaw...

grassyfras
02-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Heard someone at school say they bought the blades overseas. ALOT CHEAPER.

Robert F
02-20-2005, 03:49 PM
I bought some junko kit at Home Depot for $13.99, it had a cheapo PVC cutter, and two different sized broken pipe removal tools. I've used it about 15 times and it's still going strong.

Precision
02-20-2005, 03:54 PM
look around a bit at the box store they have kits for cheap. and you really aren't concerned with a quality product. your crews will lose it way before they break it.

Gene $immons
02-20-2005, 03:55 PM
They sell a thing to cut pvc pipe with thet is really neat. It looks like a piano wire with two handle ends. You just slip it underneath the pipe and pull back and forth. For bigger stuff we use a saw zaw

crosson lawn
02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I was reading this thread this morning and just happened to stop by Home Depot this afternoon. I guess that they aren't selling the $20 cutter anymore (no more on shelf) and the replacement blades were marked down from $7.98 to $.50. WOW cause I still have the elcheapo but i am going to invest in a good one just as soon as i wear out all 10 blades that i just paid $5 for.

out4now
02-20-2005, 04:21 PM
They sell a thing to cut pvc pipe with thet is really neat. It looks like a piano wire with two handle ends. You just slip it underneath the pipe and pull back and forth. For bigger stuff we use a saw zaw

Used to have one of those. Loved it.

ed2hess
02-20-2005, 06:44 PM
we pay $50.00 for a good ratcheting pipe cutter.

and as far as the hacksaw goes.... LOL.. no way in heck. if you're cutting a piece of vertical pipe, you have to dig a huge hole to get the hacksaw in and have room to work. also some shavings will always get into the pipe.

lastly i can cut 5-6 pieces of pipe before you get through one with the hacksaw...
The hacksaw he is talking about is just a blade and small handle and takes less room than ratcheting device. Most of the time the ratcheting device breaks the old thin pipe!

SWD
02-20-2005, 06:49 PM
must need money bad in texas.irrigator lic. :laugh:

What is this supposed to mean?