PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea

Watkinslawnservice
02-20-2005, 01:24 AM
My wife operates her own house cleaning biz. She just conducts business under her whole name. I am starting a lawn service this summer. We were brainstorming, trying to think up ideas for a name for my biz when she came up with "Beautiful Prairie lawn service". The town that we live in is called Belle Plaine which means Beautifull Prairie in french. Well anyway I started thinking that maybe we should just combine our 2 businesses and call it "Beautiful Prairie Property Management" specializing in residential and commercial lawn and cleaning services.

What do you guys think about this? Is there any advantages or disadvantages you can think of? One advantage I could think of was that we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone as far as advertising since we have basically the same target market.

Another question is, what kind of a business would we have to set this up as? Would it still be basically a sole propriotership or would we have to set up a partnership?

Thanks everyone, this site is awesome!

Oldtimer
02-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Pretty name but it's a too long.

promower
02-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Ask your accountant what would be best to do. Both business' are service related and could compliment each other well. I know a lot of my customers use a cleaning company as well as lawn care. Guess I would find out if theres would be a tx advantage/disadvantage in combining. Even if you didnt combine the you could still promote each others business in your marketing.

Greentek4
02-20-2005, 05:41 AM
you should just call it "Inside out" get it?

Oldtimer
02-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Inside Out, Inside & Outside or something similar would really be best. A long name and then a longer slogan really isn't necessary to promote your business.

Property management is just that. A property management company agrees to provide all the services then hires or contracts with landscapers, plumbers, roofers and such to maintain the property.

Mo Green
02-20-2005, 08:16 AM
It sounds like a great idea, but I think yo may have to file as a partnership, which could help when it comes to doing taxes. Both companies activities would fall under one tax filing.

As far as the name goes, it is a bit long. Why not just use the town name instead? Or maybe even something along the lines of what Greentek said. How about "Complete Property Management" with a sub title of "Keeping your home beautiful, inside and out". Just think about it, if you put out fliers, you will be doubling your customer potential. payup

wrtenterprises
02-20-2005, 08:16 AM
In my opinion, names do not mean much for all but .01% of this group. If your looking to go nationwide, or working in a metropolitan area, then a "catchy " name will grab some business. For the rest of us " small fry's ", quality and reliability is what builds market share.......

lawnman_scott
02-20-2005, 09:14 AM
In my opinion, names do not mean much for all but .01% of this group. If your looking to go nationwide, or working in a metropolitan area, then a "catchy " name will grab some business. For the rest of us " small fry's ", quality and reliability is what builds market share.......
I agree. And you dont want to look like a handyman either. We will clean the house, mow the lawn, ......... I would try to keep them seperate. One thing you could do is if you were to do flyers, have them printed one on each side because it is likley that you would target the same areas.

aries
02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Keep them separate this might cause to much confusion with costumers.

lawnguyland
02-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I think it's a good idea.

traman
02-20-2005, 10:28 AM
great idea simple ( s corp ) should cover you both , i would leave out beautiful and just call it

PRAIRIE
PROPERTY
MANAGEMENT

Watkinslawnservice
02-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys, That gives us a lot to think about.

Dave

The landscaper
02-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Look into the LLC for your entity. I think that would be your best bet. IMO

BryPaulD
02-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Inside Out, Inside & Outside or something similar would really be best. A long name and then a longer slogan really isn't necessary to promote your business.

Property management is just that. A property management company agrees to provide all the services then hires or contracts with landscapers, plumbers, roofers and such to maintain the property.

My business name is "Inside & Out Const." Had it for 6 years now. Last year though I saw a yard sign in a yard that said "Inside Out" something. VERY similar to mine. What do I do about that?? When I registered my name years ago, there was nothing like it. What should I do of this situation?

BOTURF
02-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Beautiful Praire Enterprises, Inc
DBA XYZ Lawn Services
DBA Xyz Cleaning Services

and each will still be a serparate business per say go the s corp route with you or your wife as president and the other as sec/ treasure with each holding stock in the new company

Watkinslawnservice
02-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Maybe I am getting in over my head. I never have given much thought to having to start up any type of a corporation. The most complicated thing I imagined was a partnership. Are there many benefits to an s corp vs. an LLC?

Dave
P.S. I should know this because I do hold a certificate in small biz management but I think I was sleeping the day we discussed this!

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Lastname Property Management (Smith's Property Management)
Your inital & Her inital Services (J&K Services)

Or insert Belle Plaine

Another good simple name is Clean Scene.

derek1
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Make sure that you keep seperate books on both businesses so you can see where your monies are going even if you plan to go into business with your spouse treat it as just that a business. If you do not have an accountant make sure you get very good finicial software like quickbooks or peachtree or something that will keep you straight.

gqnine44
02-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Maybe I am getting in over my head. I never have given much thought to having to start up any type of a corporation. The most complicated thing I imagined was a partnership.

One of the most difficult types of companies to set up is a partnership (if it is done right). It can be done very cheaply but it wont be done right. No matter what you do be sure to see an attorney and consult your CPA.

I have actually considered the same thing you are considering but I decided against it for fear that potential customers would be turned off thinking we were "jacks of all trades - masters of none".

Watkinslawnservice
02-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I have actually considered the same thing you are considering but I decided against it for fear that potential customers would be turned off thinking we were "jacks of all trades - masters of none".[/QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of Service Master? I think they may be nation wide but I am not sure.

They perform these services and a ton more, and they are HUGE.

www.servicemaster.com

Green Earth
02-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Stay sole proprietor, keep it simple. "Cut & Clean Property Management " Sounds simple yet professional. Just my .02 worth. :D

BOTURF
02-21-2005, 07:09 PM
I guess if you stay sole prop and are not a LLC or a s corp and you want to pay the self employment tax go right a head for me it was better to become a s corp and it saved major tax dollars

Precision
02-21-2005, 07:44 PM
I would make them 2 separate LLC's. That way if you chop Fluffy the dog into little bits one day, they can only take assets of the mowing company.

Just use the clients of one as a source of leads for the other. Include a flyer for the cleaning in with the invoices for the mowing and the other way too.

tez34
02-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Keep the name short and sweet, two or three words are the best.

Soupy
02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
I have actually considered the same thing you are considering but I decided against it for fear that potential customers would be turned off thinking we were "jacks of all trades - masters of none".

Have you ever heard of Service Master? I think they may be nation wide but I am not sure.

They perform these services and a ton more, and they are HUGE.

www.servicemaster.com[/QUOTE]

They didn't start off with all those devisions. They didn't even start the lawn care division. They bought it. Service master is the parent company. They don't advertise the services together when marketing.

Watkinslawnservice
02-21-2005, 11:46 PM
UPDATE
We have decided to keep our businesses seperate. We can't come up with enough advantages to merging them. Thanks for the help. BTW I think I am sticking with my original name, "Watkins Lawn Service"

Dave

Runner
02-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Hmm,...that's too bad. WitWith both together, I've been doing some thinking. Let's see,... you do the outsides, and she does the home cleaning service. The name "Better Homes & Gardens" comes to mind. lol Give me a little bit on this, and I'll come up with something that someone may like. I've gotta go to bed, now though. :)