PDA

View Full Version : New Ferris Hydrocut 35

Richard Martin
02-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey Everybody,

Friday I went and picked up a new Ferris Hydrocut 36 from my local dealer for $2900.

It's a pretty nice mower thus far. It comes with a crank up - crank down deck height adjustment, 13 hp Kawasaki twin, electric start, adjustable Borg Warner blade clutch, 4 gallon gas tank (a little small), 5.5 mph forward (a little slow), 2 mph reverse, timed blades and a Eaton hydrostatic transaxle. The Eaton had me a little worried at first because my Woods (Ferris clone) also had a transaxle and it could be a bear to turn but I can turn this mower literally with 2 fingers. I only use it on a couple of yards so it won't see a whole lot of use.

Any questions? Comments?

lawnman_scott
02-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Is that the one with the single hydro unit? I was looking at the 32 inch. The one with the thumb control? I was worried about how hard it would be to turn.

Richard Martin
02-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Is that the one with the single hydro unit? I was looking at the 32 inch. The one with the thumb control? I was worried about how hard it would be to turn.

Yes it is. Like I wrote above I was concerned about turning it too but it goes around a lot easier than you might expect. If you do get one remember to slow down as you go to turn and the mower will go right around almost by itself.

Fareway Lawncare
02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Wait Until you Try it on a Nice Slope...You'll Wish you had the Dual Pumps...The Locking Casters are a Poor Substitute...

As far as Turning...No Positive Forward or Reverse on the opposing wheel spin Means More Three Points and More Manhandling no Matter How you Cut it.

I don't understand why anyone would only go Halfway to a Dual Hydro...But if its just a Back-up or Occasional Gate Mower...it Should Work out Great.

lawnman_scott
02-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Im looking at it because its about $1500 cheaper than the only other hydro 32inch option, exmark.

Legacy
02-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Decent mower for small yards and occassional use...you can buy the same thing in a Simplicity for less money...

Don't like the fact that you don't have turning brakes...I would rather have a decent belt drive 32 or 36" for the money...IMHO

TURF DOCTOR
02-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I have a simplicity,same mower 15 hp briggs single cylinder electric start.

Itsgottobegreen
02-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Im looking at it because its about $1500 cheaper than the only other hydro 32inch option, exmark.

The exmark viking 32" was discontinued. The Wright Velke mower and Wright stander is the only company that makes a dual hydro walkebehind and stand on machine that is 32" wide.

Richard Martin
02-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Wait Until you Try it on a Nice Slope...You'll Wish you had the Dual Pumps...The Locking Casters are a Poor Substitute...

As far as Turning...No Positive Forward or Reverse on the opposing wheel spin Means More Three Points and More Manhandling no Matter How you Cut it.

I don't understand why anyone would only go Halfway to a Dual Hydro...But if its just a Back-up or Occasional Gate Mower...it Should Work out Great.

Like I explained above I have owned this type of mower before (from 96 to 99) so it's no big deal. I have used them on a slope of 27 degrees and a little bit of downhill pressure on the downhill handlebar is all that's needed to keep it in line. There are no caster locks.

Turns are easy to accomplish. When you get to the end of your run just slow the mower down and keep walking at the same pace while keeping forward pressure on the handle bar opposite of the way you want to turn. It does take practice to master but once you get it the maneuver takes very little effort to accomplish. This mower isn't like a belt drive, this mower takes very, very little effort to turn even when it's completely stopped. Also when stopped this mower will do a true Z turn. One wheel rotates forward while the other wheel rotates backward.

These mowers are a nice mix of performance between a belt and a dual drive hydro for not much more money than a belt. It eliminates the main complaints of a belt which seem to be belt slippage and lack of a true reverse.

lawnman_scott
02-21-2005, 02:06 AM
The exmark viking 32" was discontinued. The Wright Velke mower and Wright stander is the only company that makes a dual hydro walkebehind and stand on machine that is 32" wide.
My dealer says he can order them and they arent discontinued. $3995

Richard Martin
02-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Decent mower for small yards and occassional use...you can buy the same thing in a Simplicity for less money...

The Simplicity Pacer is a very similar mower and they both come off of the same line but the Ferris mower has some upgrades. The Ferris has the Kawasaki twin, larger front caster tires and a fabricated 36" deck vs. the Simplicity B&S engine, solid small front tires and formed 34" deck. The Simplicity Pacer has also apparently been removed from the product line and no longer appears on Simplicity's website.

Itsgottobegreen
02-21-2005, 02:30 AM
My dealer says he can order them and they arent discontinued. $3995

Call exmark yourself. I wanted one to replace my metro. All I got was sorry, we didn't sell enought, so we stop making them. They told me they wouldn't be making any more in the future.

TURF DOCTOR
02-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Can you get a elec start on a exmark, that is the problem with small wb why pay the big price and get less.Simplicity and ferris for the money they are hard to beat.

Richard Martin
02-21-2005, 09:16 AM
The Simplicity Pacer is a very similar mower and they both come off of the same line but the Ferris mower has some upgrades. The Ferris has the Kawasaki twin, larger front caster tires and a fabricated 36" deck vs. the Simplicity B&S engine, solid small front tires and formed 34" deck. The Simplicity Pacer has also apparently been removed from the product line and no longer appears on Simplicity's website.

My bad, the Pacer is still on their website but I could only find it through a Yahoo search. There doesn't appear to be a link to the Pacer page from any of Simplicity's other pages.

Also the Ferris has a 5.5 mph top speed vs. the Pacer's 4.25 mph.