PDA

View Full Version : Bidding on 21 acre cut and trim

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I used the program Groundskeeper Pro V5.2.1 and I set my basic price at 10.00 for every 1,000 square feet and labor at 10.00 and .5 man hours for every 1,000 square feet and the total price came out to per cut $9,147.60 then i figured there is an average 2 cuts a month for 7 months and came out with a total price of $128.058.00 for a bid.
This is my first year in business and don't want to go in the whole. I can't see doing the job for less and not make any money. I have been told to just start out with smaller accounts till you build up my equipment for a job like this which will cost me about 15,000.00 in equipment to do job
Any feed back for a newbe

MacPhersonlawn
02-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I figure it out to be $435.57 per acre. That seems more than a little high. Usually would charge about $70 per acre, maybe a little less if it is all at one location.

Likestomow
02-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Take the advise you have been given previously.

stumper1620
02-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I figure it out to be $435.57 per acre. That seems more than a little high. Usually would charge about $70 per acre, maybe a little less if it is all at one location.
i agree.
I run on 65.00 an acre, but i deal with craftsman night riders around here that would cut my legs off for 20 acres
I would go around 12 to 1300 per mow. i would take 5% off if its all one big vacant lot

Fantasy Lawns
02-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Look at it this way if you had a home on a 1.5 acre site with 1 acre of grass would you pay some one $400 to cut it each time ??

If you would than please move to Cocoa Beach

We use to mow a 15 acre site which was at $850 per cut or just around $57 per acre .... but I don't bid by size ...... I estimate my time based on size than bid using time as my factor ....

I depend on being quicker on larger jobs with good fast productive equipment which allows me to be competitive in such a tight market .... time is $$

QualityLawnCare4u
02-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Wow!! In my area that would go for around 6-650 per cut if your lucky. Thats a lot with a minimum amount of trimming. I had a 3 acrea lot that I got 65 for and was considered high priced. It had about 10 minutes of trimming. If you get it then go for it, you will be making some $$$$.

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 01:50 PM
What would be the cheapest way to do this equipment wise.
i looked at a rider 61" at $7999 Toro
i looked at a walk behind /rider 36" at $2000 Bob cat
I looked at 2 weed wackers $200
I looked at 2 back pack blowers $500

Precision
02-20-2005, 01:53 PM
ok, first off $10 per 1000 ft square is way high. a standard 1/4 acre lot is 12,000 square feet less the house and drive way. so call it 7500-9000. So at your prices you are charging $75-90 per cut on a 1/4 acre. Good luck.

and if I understand in addition to that you are charging $10 per 1000 labor.

Figure out a price per 1000 inclusive.

No way it would take .5 hours to mow 1000 ft sq not even with a weed eater.

My Gravely 60" will mow my 1/2 acre lot in 12-15 minutes, 20 in peak season. and say another 15-25 minutes for weedeating, edging and blowing. So max 45 minutes per cut in peak season. We are talking 19,000 square feet. No way anyone would pay $190 per mow for half an acre. And with volume comes discounting.

I could mow 21 acres in between 4 and 12 hours depending on terrain and obstacles. Is it a 21 acre HOA or a 21 acre park.
Mow only at 8 hours would be $500
weedeating and edging at $75 per hour.
so call it 16 hours total That would be 500 plus 600 or $1100 per cut with weekly cutting or $1800 for EOW cutting.

25 cuts (weekly) or $27,500 annually
14 EOW cuts or $25,200 annually

No way it should cost you $15000 in equipment for this property

$6500 to 10,000 for a mower
weedeater $350
Edger $350
Blower $ 450
$11,000 would be the most and you can use those things on all your other properties and they will all last at least 2 years if not 4 if you maintain them. And that assumes you own nothing other than truck and trailer.

MacPhersonlawn
02-20-2005, 02:04 PM
You are going to get $128,000 for 14 days of work (twice a month for 7 months) I think you can buy any equipment you want.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I used the program Groundskeeper Pro V5.2.1 and I set my basic price at 10.00 for every 1,000 square feet and labor at 10.00 and .5 man hours for every 1,000 square feet

I am sitting in my basement as we speak its 30x35 so est. 1000 sq ft even with the extra amount of turns for such a small space it would take me no more then 60 seconds with my 60 inch lazer and perhaps 90 seconds with my 44 inch lazer. Trimming 1 min tops I realize youíre very new to the trade but I do not want to see you get laughed at by the property owners. In my area I doubt I could get 40 an acre with both brickmam and tru green going for anything over 5 acres I would not even be allowed to bid on such a sweet account. But if I were I would jump all over this at 35-40 and acre and be more then satisfied at 840 a cut. I could cut this myself double cutting the lawn in 10 hours and just have 1 guy weed wacking pay him 100 for the day and I am looking at a 700 dollar day after expenses. But I would not be doing that I would assault this with all 3 of my ZTRs and both crews and I expect it would be done in 2.5-3 hours. Now I would love to make 9k for 3 hours work but I am not a safe cracker so I have to wait a while longer to make that but it sill comes.

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 02:29 PM
ok, first off $10 per 1000 ft square is way high. a standard 1/4 acre lot is 12,000 square feet less the house and drive way. so call it 7500-9000. So at your prices you are charging $75-90 per cut on a 1/4 acre. Good luck.

and if I understand in addition to that you are charging $10 per 1000 labor.

Figure out a price per 1000 inclusive.

No way it would take .5 hours to mow 1000 ft sq not even with a weed eater.

My Gravely 60" will mow my 1/2 acre lot in 12-15 minutes, 20 in peak season. and say another 15-25 minutes for weedeating, edging and blowing. So max 45 minutes per cut in peak season. We are talking 19,000 square feet. No way anyone would pay $190 per mow for half an acre. And with volume comes discounting.

I could mow 21 acres in between 4 and 12 hours depending on terrain and obstacles. Is it a 21 acre HOA or a 21 acre park.
Mow only at 8 hours would be $500
weedeating and edging at $75 per hour.
so call it 16 hours total That would be 500 plus 600 or $1100 per cut with weekly cutting or $1800 for EOW cutting.

25 cuts (weekly) or $27,500 annually
14 EOW cuts or $25,200 annually

No way it should cost you $15000 in equipment for this property

$6500 to 10,000 for a mower
weedeater $350
Edger $350
Blower $ 450
$11,000 would be the most and you can use those things on all your other properties and they will all last at least 2 years if not 4 if you maintain them. And that assumes you own nothing other than truck and trailer.
there is 61 units on this housing development so 1/2 is open area.
also what is eow?
First bid and would have to buy equipment right now i have a 5 foot wide and 8 foot long trailer and a 36" bobcat walk behind with skid plate and catch bag. I am getting it for 2,000 dollar package deal 10 hours on it and a 2 year warrenty.

Precision
02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
EOW is every other week.

You would need to step up to a 48-50" WB minimum to do this property. I would suggest a 52" stander otherwise you will be there forever.

The 5 x 8 trailer is worthless for a LCO. you will out grow that in a second. If you end up doing any kind of clean up work (or heaven forbid bagging) you wont have any room for debris. If it comes as part of the package, just turn around and sell it and use the money to buy a minimum 12 x7 but 16 x 7 is much more useful.

Good luck but the best thing that could happen to you is that you don't get this bid. Get some other accounts and see what this business is all about, then when you have a clue how long things will take you think about bidding on stuff like this.

You will kill 2 days in this place (minimum) as a solo.

I would never agree to EOW for a HOA. They will never be happy

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I put it at $75 an acre and to do that I set the computer program for
3.40 per 1,000 square feet
10.00 an hour avaregae man hour pay
.25 man hours per 1,000 square feet and came up with 1481 a cut.
that sounds more realistic?

moremowing4me
02-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I put it at $75 an acre and to do that I set the computer program for
3.40 per 1,000 square feet
10.00 an hour avaregae man hour pay
.25 man hours per 1,000 square feet and came up with 1481 a cut.
that sounds more realistic?

that does sound to me like that would be a good price. maybe even a little less than that.but unlike some of the others said I would not touch it for under a grand. the 800-840 prices sound to low imho.

lawn_pro
02-20-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree, every other week will take forever and is kind of hard on the grass. You will regret agreeing to every other week mowing as soon as you mow it the first time not to mention you will probably have to bag it every-time on this arrangement. Like someone else mentioned, bid this property on the amount of time you think it will take you per week and if you don't get it,at least you won't be losing any money. I am assuming that other stuff is out there, it will come your way if you keep at it.

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 02:54 PM
My phone is 815-748-5878 precision
can i talk to you for advise?

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I am sitting here in a small town and the business is just grewing and I am just getting started. If any one like to talk live to me call me at 815-748-5878 I have 4 days to put in the bid.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
My price would tweak up a tad now but you werenít forthcoming with info at first. It sounded like a corporate park not a 61-unit housing development. Also you did mention 2 times a month but you never said it was the requirement and from the way you were talking it sounded like your own idea. Now that you got a ton more trimming and blowing off to do I would bid 1050 every week and 1300 every other week. In the future when you ask a question give as much info as you can think of when describing a property. After all we are not there to see it and flat ground is different then hills and thick lawns are harder then thin and so forth. In all honesty I prefer thin lawns since they cut faster the chem. Lawns. They are by far the worst thing you can do to your time schedules.

Now that I know longer am taking what you say for granted the next question is it a 21-acre property or is it truly 21 acres of turf. I use to do a 12-acre industrial site but the turf was less then 2 acres so I charged 110 a cut it was 40 minutes of work.

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 04:01 PM
My price would tweak up a tad now but you werenít forthcoming with info at first. It sounded like a corporate park not a 61-unit housing development. Also you did mention 2 times a month but you never said it was the requirement and from the way you were talking it sounded like your own idea. Now that you got a ton more trimming and blowing off to do I would bid 1050 every week and 1300 every other week. In the future when you ask a question give as much info as you can think of when describing a property. After all we are not there to see it and flat ground is different then hills and thick lawns are harder then thin and so forth. In all honesty I prefer thin lawns since they cut faster the chem. Lawns. They are by far the worst thing you can do to your time schedules.

Now that I know longer am taking what you say for granted the next question is it a 21-acre property or is it truly 21 acres of turf. I use to do a 12-acre industrial site but the turf was less then 2 acres so I charged 110 a cut it was 40 minutes of work.
The 21 acres is truf and there is two drain ditches to do that are slopey. The rest is pretty flat land. The 61 units are town homes in a nice row. The front is mustly driveway and side walk except for patches of grass by enrtyway. Must is a open common area of back yard. Front also have mail boxes by curb.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Let me renig on that other price I give, I thought you meant a flat 21 acres with a little trimming. Without actually seeing it I dont know what I would bid on it, but it would be well over the other price I give. expecially an 61 housing complex. Have you ever dealt with a HOA before? Be VERY careful!

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Let me renig on that other price I give, I thought you meant a flat 21 acres with a little trimming. Without actually seeing it I dont know what I would bid on it, but it would be well over the other price I give. expecially an 61 housing complex. Have you ever dealt with a HOA before? Be VERY careful!
No I have not. What good advise do you have for me on this?
So what price would you go?
Are would you say don't jump my first year with a project like this?

TMlawncare
02-20-2005, 07:06 PM
I would love to see a pic of this place to get a better idea what your up against. Just from what I have heard, $1200-1400 sounds about right. I have never did a HOA this big before, but we do one large one that is 54 units. However it is only made up of 10 buildings. One thing to keep in mind and I think most will agree, HOA's are a haven for complaints. Think about it, you have one client with a minimum of 60 bosses. A lot of these people just look for anything to complain about. Be prepared to make sure everything is done 110% from that first mow. I do believe it will take $15000 in equipment to maintain an account this size. You will need at minimum 1 52-60" ztr and a equal size stander or wb. If you don't the extra time during the spring growth will kill you. The HOA will expect you to be done in one day. If your not they will feel that you can't handle such an account. Keep in mind that spring can be tricky on an account like this. If you spread it over two days and it rains for two days in between you will be in a world of hurts.

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Let's see - 10 1/2 acres open - that would be about $25 x 10=$250 around here. The buildings that are on the other 10 1/2 would probably be about $50 per acre = $550 = $800 + or - trimming complications - (Could be $1100 or $800) depending on continuity of buildings, do you have mowers to actually save you the time to be competitive in both the trimming and mowing areas of the business.

GrassBustersLawn
02-20-2005, 07:27 PM
If you are NEW, you are getting into one MAJOR PITA right off the bat!

HOA's are a general PITA. Like previously said, you will have 61 people who will be telling you that you are doing a BAD JOB! (Most HOA's are filled with RETIRED people, that don't have anything to do but stick their nose into YOUR BUSINESS! They will complain & you will spend alot of time "holding hands".) 60 will think it is YOUR FAULT that it is being mowed EOW. (Because they won't know the CONTACT only wants it EOW.) No matter how much you charge, they will think you are making TOO MUCH MONEY and will be bugging you about everything. In spring, it will be one hell of a mess EOW! Extra time needed to mow, as you will either have to GO SLOW or DOUBLE CUT. Figure in extra TIME & MONEY for BOTH! Also will take extra time to blow 2 weeks of clippings off walks.

With equipment you currently have (wb & 5x8 trailer) you are WAY UNDER EQUIPPED for this job! I am a firm believer that you need a BACK-UP for EVERYTHING (or at least IMMEDIATE access to one). If a mower goes down, you can't wait 3 weeks for the local shop to get to it - YOU'LL BE OUT OF BUSINESS BY THEN!

IMHO, you should work your way up to this size of account. Get experience and equipment built up before committing to this size of an account.

Also, in my area, someone would do this for $25 / $30 an acre - weekly. So you can just about pick up 20 individual residences (which your current set up will work for) and do as well!

Mike

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 07:31 PM
I take exception to those that are trying to scare you off with the pita deal - 61 bosses etc.

I look at it like you have the opportunity to show 61 people what you can do, how well you do it, and how consistantly you do it. They will spread the word to 61 more, they will spread the word to 122 more and the word of mouth will just expode. Go For It. Call me at 877-353-9335 - I tried to call, but you were sleeping.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-20-2005, 08:26 PM
No I have not. What good advise do you have for me on this?
So what price would you go?
Are would you say don't jump my first year with a project like this?

I had a complex my second year in biz that was only 30 apartments. No matter how good my work was there would be at least one complaint a week that was pure BS. You got dust on jones car, you left one blade of grass on pita2 door mat, your mower scared pita3 cat (no lie) you got there too early and woke up pita4, actually had one that would come out and yell at me every time I went by her doorsteps! GRRR get mad just remembering it. Without seeing your property its hard to quote a bid, but I would guess at least around 1200 every week, and thats a guess. Dont let the comments discourage you, if you feel confident you can do it I hope you do well at it. This is just not a good thing to start out with your first year. Oh yeah, they have zero loyalty to you either. Its the cheapest price that will win every time.

Precision PLC
02-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Take some smaller accounts and learn the business first you don't want to be overwelmed with this because if you get in over your head and can't finish the season , people talk and word spreads fast,you never know when it could come back on you later and keep you from getting another bid you know you can do.

Green Earth
02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
I agree with all of the other posts above. Something else you are forgetting. All of the lawn furniture, bicycles, lawn ornaments, garden hoses etc. you have to move and go around. Keep that in mine also. If you don't need the work and money that bad I would pass on it. But if need the work and money go for it. Just remember to get a bottle of Tylenol for the headaches. :D Just my .02 worth

GrassBustersLawn
02-21-2005, 01:23 AM
FLEX DECK

Not trying to "scare him off", just trying to give him a REALISTIC picture of what this job entails (his first year and all)!

When you learn to swim, you TAKE LESSONS or start in the SHALLOW END of the POOL. Seems like he is learning to swim here by going over NIAGARA FALLS in a BARREL!

Mike

Turf Dancer
02-21-2005, 06:49 AM
I say bid it if you want, but use a little caution ! Lets assume you get the equipment you need, lets say you finance the ztr and have payments of $200 a month. You had better be damn sure you have this contract well written, if you don't and they are truly being a pita then you are not stuck without a way to make the payments if they weasel their way out because they think you are not doing things up to par! Nothing worse than having a piece of equipment that you can only use on a couple of properties or less and still have to pay for it every month. I would also say that if they are only wanting you to mow this every other week than I would take a good look at what will be best for your business!

Here is an example!

Lets say you bid this for $1400 a trip x 14 trips per year = $19,600 for year
which will probably equal 2 days a week every other week! To do this and fill your schedule, you are going to have to find other properties to do on the opposite weeks.

Lets say you don't take the bid as above, lets say you get 35 other residential or small commercials and they average $30 each and you can do them all in 2 days 35 x $30= $1050 x 28 weeks = $29400 plus you are not paying out the big $ for a ztr that you may not need at this stage of the game!

with the second option you could actually show a profit this year and you would have a consistent schedule every week!

These examples may not depict a 100% acurate picture as I don't know the types of smaller properties in your area or what the rates are in your area!

hayesandsons
02-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Let's see - 10 1/2 acres open - that would be about $25 x 10=$250 around here. The buildings that are on the other 10 1/2 would probably be about $50 per acre = $550 = $800 + or - trimming complications - (Could be $1100 or $800) depending on continuity of buildings, do you have mowers to actually save you the time to be competitive in both the trimming and mowing areas of the business.
about to buy equipment have a budget of 15000 to get started.
was looking for a 2 mower packed deal like Bunton use to run a 36" 14hp KOH HYD. and a 25hp KAW 61" z might can get this for 7395. My 5x8 trailer would be a lost so a trailer to carry this stuff would be about 3,000. maybe 2 edgers and 2 blowers. Some gas cans 10 gallons can 4. Would want skid for walk behind and maybe a bagger for both mowers and spare blades.

430 boy
02-21-2005, 01:52 PM
the first i learned bagger take time bud . if they don't tell you to bag it mulch it down it about the same results in less time. mulch take more power. the other words of wizard is diesel diesel diesel. Diesel are a hell of lot more production than gas when it come to fuel consumption. if i was you i'd trade the toro off for a big diesel ferris. you might think nut telling you this but the big ferris will pay for itself one to two year. plus you will have savings every fill up and that money in your pocket. payup

Turf Dancer
02-21-2005, 03:02 PM
the first i learned bagger take time bud . if they don't tell you to bag it mulch it down it about the same results in less time. mulch take more power. the other words of wizard is diesel diesel diesel. Diesel are a hell of lot more production than gas when it come to fuel consumption. if i was you i'd trade the toro off for a big diesel ferris. you might think nut telling you this but the big ferris will pay for itself one to two year. plus you will have savings every fill up and that money in your pocket. payup

How can this be ? Diesel is running $ .75 per gallon more than gas ! So forget any savings at the pump because it looks like fuel prices are always going to be this way. Even off road diesel if you could get it would only be $ .24 per gallon less than gas. I think the days of have diesels for economy is over! From what I am hearing they are converting some refineries to making gas and not diesel = less diesel on market = fuel price increase $$$
Forget the diesel unless you have some hidden oil reserve that you can tap into! According to my sources diesel will never be cheaper than gas like it used to be! Come on gas is $1.94, diesel is $2.69, you cannot honestly
tell me that is going to save you a cent ! Those diaper heads that are running OPEC and the US Government are screwing everybody! Don't buy DIESEL anything. The diesel fuel prices are going to keep going up and that is a fact!

Kelly's Landscaping
02-21-2005, 03:03 PM
My 5x8 trailer would be a lost so a trailer to carry this stuff would be about 3,000. .

8-foot trailer is ridiculous you do not want that either way. If you have the experience driving then get a 16 footer but if you are not comfortable with that yet and I know that all to well my partner did not want one for his crew. Then get a 12-14 footer don't go any smaller also 5 feet wide is not enough you will want 6 so you can handle 5 foot mowers with ease. Next get it in 2 axels not 1 you will want about 7000 GVW that will handle 2 large mowers and all your equipment safely and legally. A signal ZTR will put most single axel trailers at their limits remember the GVW is including the weight of the trailer as well. So a 7000 may only hold around 5000 pounds payload. You will learn over time larger trailers are easier to back up but if the space is not there the better tracking wont help you. The double axel will be your best friend when backing up, as the singles tend to jack knife with out even trying. I would not worry about a package deal including a trailer go find your own as right now you should have found all the trailer dealers and have at least went around and seen what your options are and the brands not all trailers are created equal. Cheaper price many end up being your only consideration but if the trailers shot in 2 years then your wish you spend the other 500 dollars.

I understand what your going through and what your trying to do I do tend to think you may be getting over your head with this size account. You got a major advantage over a lot of guys here they may have 5-10 years experience but they are not as old as you are so they are not given the same respect and credibility that you will have when you bid on properties. This can also get you in a boatload of trouble as you can end up winning something your not capable of so be careful and build this with a strong foundation. Worse case you wait a few years on the larger accounts I have passed on many condos for that reason you really want to be sure you can do what you are saying you can do. The times you are hearing on here for mowing and such are from veterans and elite landscapers who know ever trick in the book. If you never driven a ZTR or walk behind before you will not be at that level. It may take a few hours or a day to get down the basics but it takes a lot longer to learn how to feel the ground under you on a ZTR just by the vibration in the steering lever. I know the tire is about to spin before I ever spin it and tear up the lawn you need to know to back off and when youíre in trouble. I watch guys pop the front casters regularly because they do not know the right angle to jump a curb. I know guys with 5 years that cannot hold hills that I regularly cut with the mower. In my company I start guys on a walk behind for a full year before they see a ZTR and the reason is the damage you can do with that is incredible if you are not skilled. So take it easy and build this the best that you can get reliable equipment brands and models or you will be buying it again next year.

hayesandsons
02-21-2005, 03:29 PM
This could be looked at as 60 residental homes based in one area right?
Second i have myself and 2 guys working for me.
We are a year old on doing work like this but know decided to try at a business.
I work nights and so do one other guy and one this would be his full time job.

430 boy
02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I never said anything about price. Diesel is a little more expensive. What I mean is a diesel will use half as much fuel as a gas will. small gas engine uses a hell of a lot gas for the power they product. This fact will never change. In illinois I pay
1.90 for over the road fuel and 1.50 for off road fuel. i think diesel isn't so nut after all. what gas out in oregon?

Turf Dancer
02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
I never said anything about price. Diesel is a little more expensive. What I mean is a diesel will use half as much fuel as a gas will. small gas engine uses a hell of a lot gas for the power they product. This fact will never change. In illinois I pay
1.90 for over the road fuel and 1.50 for off road fuel. i think diesel isn't so nut after all. what gas out in oregon?

I have never ran a ztr with a diesel engine. I have seen them in demos! The dealers say they use about 20% less fuel. They say they run about $1500 more in initial cost! So if that is the case and you could buy fuel for $1.50 per gallon where is the huge savings?
Where do you get half as much fuel use ? I have used other small diesel engines on other types of equipment and not seen 50% of fuel use like you claim!

Assume that this machine lasts 2000 hours as my dealer claims to be the life of the typical ztr. if it costs anywhere between $1500 to $2000 more for the same machine and you only get 20% better fuel economy then where is the huge savings?

Diesel is $2.699 here, off road is $ .48 less so $2.22. Gas is $1.94

430 boy
02-21-2005, 05:51 PM
yes initail they more expensive ,but your ztr will last only 2000hr. At 2000 hr a diesel is well broken in and looking to other 8000 hr or more. gallon for gallon diesel have more energy than a gas. but it is rare to see a mower over 5000 hr.
i have john deere 430 with 2700hr this winter i rebuild the deck and front end.
I'd stand my 430 it up to a 20hp ztr / 60' deck 2000 hour later i know my machine will still be kick. :cool:

Turf Dancer
02-21-2005, 06:00 PM
OK Slick! What you need to understand is that I have based my input from the dealers I use. I have a dealer that has several Exmarks with one company, the company uses two 72" machines! They told him that the two machines use the same amount of fuel. One is a 28 efi and the other is a Diesel. That same dealer is one of several that tell me that a ztr is doing really well if it is still going after 2000 hours without needing a bunch of repairs! He said most of them they see are having all kinds of problems as of 2300 hours. Plus there is the issue of additional weight.

430 boy
02-21-2005, 06:33 PM
yes dealer would said a gas is better because there is more service opportity for
he. diesel don't spark plug or wire to replace or any other electric crap to go wrong. i think you need to get more than just one opinion :waving:

how much landscape is around the units. i would keep my crew to me and one
guy. the more people you have to babysit the less money you make. In my case
that other person is my dad. dad and i split the string trimming 50/50. Dad will run his X495 jonh deere All Wheel Steer w/62 deck and mulch kit for trimming around building. I run the 1600 wide area mower in the wide open area. from start to finish we can do a 10 acre complex in 5 hour plus trash pick up. :cool:

hayesandsons
02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
After the good advise from John from Precision Lawn Care about walking the land it does give you a good feel for what you have to tackle.
1. Lot of lawnfunriture and kids bikes and toys all over around the builds within 10'.
2. The ground is so bumpy that it would be rough on a mower. Chain gang mowers would be more suitable for this job. Big holes in the area.
3. Lots of man holes in the yard.
4. Labor intense on trimming !!!!
5. Lots of water pockets in rainy month that will slow you down grass really moist in that area.
6. Two detention areas that are steep that I could not use anything but a push mower or weed eater.
7. Him wanting an on call person did not turn me on so I walked away from it.
I will take this first year and try and get 100 customers residental and hopefully 20 small business.
Thanks for the quick 101 class in lawn care business verses doing it for someone else is different. I do not find people being rough a turn off to this site because the customers will be trying to cut your throat even more but it will cost you in the long run.
This is my new hang out even over the paltalk naked girls.
Thanks Lawnsite.com for a home for the business of lawn care.

freddyc
02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I take exception to those that are trying to scare you off with the pita deal - 61 bosses etc.

I look at it like you have the opportunity to show 61 people what you can do, how well you do it, and how consistantly you do it. They will spread the word to 61 more, they will spread the word to 122 more and the word of mouth will just expode. Go For It. Call me at 877-353-9335 - I tried to call, but you were sleeping.

Sleeping is no way to get started on this one LOL!

QualityLawnCare4u
02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
After the good advise from John from Precision Lawn Care about walking the land it does give you a good feel for what you have to tackle.
1. Lot of lawnfunriture and kids bikes and toys all over around the builds within 10'.
2. The ground is so bumpy that it would be rough on a mower. Chain gang mowers would be more suitable for this job. Big holes in the area.
3. Lots of man holes in the yard.
4. Labor intense on trimming !!!!
5. Lots of water pockets in rainy month that will slow you down grass really moist in that area.
6. Two detention areas that are steep that I could not use anything but a push mower or weed eater.
7. Him wanting an on call person did not turn me on so I walked away from it.
I will take this first year and try and get 100 customers residental and hopefully 20 small business.
Thanks for the quick 101 class in lawn care business verses doing it for someone else is different. I do not find people being rough a turn off to this site because the customers will be trying to cut your throat even more but it will cost you in the long run.
This is my new hang out even over the paltalk naked girls.
Thanks Lawnsite.com for a home for the business of lawn care.

I think you made a wise decision. I encountered the same thing few months back with concerted services. Wanted me to mow 7 complexes in 3 different towns, 144 mile radius. I walked away and did not feel bad a bit even though I need some new yards this aint one of em!