PDA

View Full Version : First new client of the year

Precision
02-20-2005, 02:08 PM
I got my first new client yesterday. She saw me working on Friday and asked me to give an estimate on Saturday morning.

1.2 Acres $190 per month mow and fert and a $1100 clean up. Mostly removing some new growth pines from a corner of her lot. And the kicker is she is 400 yards from another client's house.

Guess I need to get my advertising in gear sooner than I thought.

Fantasy Lawns
02-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I here ya .... picking up work this time of year is gold ... we just got an HOA next to one been doing fore years ... each spring they kept asking fore an estimate ... finally after going thru 5 LCO's in 4 years they bit the bullet n sign 1st of Feb

Precision
02-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Congrats Steve.

Nothing like proof of your good job next door to eventually get them to see the benefit of accepting your price. Do you do Cooperfields over on Crockett Blvd in MI?

That account energized my whole week especially since it was unsolicited.

Are you doing mostly on MI or in Cocoa Beach with your HOA's?

Fantasy Lawns
02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Copperfield is done by Southern Greens ..... I've bid on it but SG is generally 20-30% less as such a large operation gives em scales of economy ... although Copperfield is dinky anyways but in the heart of my area which is mostly MI, Commercial or River only in Rockledge-Cocoa n on Cocoa beach 520 south to 4th st on the Beach .... although I just picked up a big Complex in Cape Canaveral in Dec which will force me go advo Commercial work in the Area .... I've passed on the Cape several times (50 page contract, OSHA n badgin for security .... I think SG still does it but Nicks may have it also as they have Patrick AFB)

Precision
02-20-2005, 03:48 PM
the big one you just got on cape canaveral is it the United Space Alliance complex.

Just wondering?

Nicks. I worked for that guy for 2 days when I was 16. Seems like a huge operation. 2 street sweepers and everything. Glad I don't have to do Patrick. I couldn't imagine the headache that must have been in the beginning.

Fantasy Lawns
02-20-2005, 04:42 PM
No it's not the USA complex although I know the head of security there very well .... that goes with the Cape Bid lots of hoops to jump thru .... it is one of the Rockwell Complex's just not the main one (which I'd luv to work on)

I know the palm guy at Nicks it takes 2 full time guys 7 MONTHS to trim all the palms .... it's around 10,000 palms .... but hey its a 7 fiqure contract n not his only AFB he does one in NC n another state like Tenn

rodfather
02-20-2005, 04:55 PM
1.2 Acres $190 per month mow and fert and a $1100 clean up.

I hope the fert isn't included in that $190 a month price???

Precision
02-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Just some NPK and not on the whole 1.2 acres Just in the "pretty" area out front. maybe .3 acres. No ornamentals fert or trimming and no weed control.

newbomb
02-20-2005, 06:04 PM
I hope the fert isn't included in that $190 a month price???

$47.50 per wk to mow 1.2 acres sounds low to me. I cut 1/4 acre lots for $30.00 all day here. Am I missing something?

-Paul

lawnman_scott
02-20-2005, 07:24 PM
$47.50 per wk to mow 1.2 acres sounds low to me. I cut 1/4 acre lots for $30.00 all day here. Am I missing something?

-Paul
The fact that it was bid at $190 a month not $47.50 a week.

newbomb
02-20-2005, 07:59 PM
The fact that it was bid at $190 a month not $47.50 a week.

So what your saying is you will come out once a month and mow 1.2 acres (whether it needs it or not) for $190. If your bush hogging it, more power to ya. If you use a grooming mower, ie a ZTR or walk behind, you will destroy your machine. If you let grass grow for a month in April or May, it will be 18" tall when you get there. GOOD LUCK!!!

-Paul

lawnman_scott
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
So what your saying is you will come out once a month and mow 1.2 acres (whether it needs it or not) for $190. If your bush hogging it, more power to ya. If you use a grooming mower, ie a ZTR or walk behind, you will destroy your machine. If you let grass grow for a month in April or May, it will be 18" tall when you get there. GOOD LUCK!!!

-PaulNo I would assume its based on every week in summer and every other in winter. Also april or may isnt that bad here, its aug and sept.

Precision
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
The thing you are missing is Florida doesn't command the same prices as MD. bid $100 per cut per acre on thin mixed (unirrigated) st augustine / bahia and go out of business.

Nor are my expenses the same. I just bought a .28 acre commercial property for $69,000 with a 900 Square foot building to use as my office.

I have a 1.2 acre lot with no real trimming, no real edging so it is really a mow and blow. It is for every week cutting during season and EOW in "dormant" season. 42 cuts +/-. Should take about 30 minutes in off season and 45 in peak season per cut. So about 1400 minutes and about $1400 for cutting. works out to the magic $ per minute not including drive time, but my marginal drive time is 1 minute from the house I am already doing 2 down.

Things are different in Florida, Newbomb. Ask Ric, ask Lawnman Scott, ask Fantasy.