PDA

View Full Version : R new guys scared of lawnsite?

fga
02-20-2005, 01:14 PM
often, you see a new guy, posting for the first time, and he's defensive off the bat, having been browseing the site for some time, and finally gaining the "courage" to post. we look like "wolves"...
they'll be alot coming soon with the pending season.
just my opinion, but alittle paitience can help this site out alot.

Precision
02-20-2005, 01:25 PM
perhaps, but I was new last year and I wasn't scared. I did soe research and at least new what kind of grass we have in my area. I knew that spraying round up in the lake was a bad idea. I knew that asking for help bidding on 50 acres with a 21" trim mower and a 42" craftsman yard tractor was a bad idea.

Some of the new people get jumped on cause they deserve it.

But I do agree some of us should cut the newbies a little slack. Perhaps just shaking some sense into them as opposed to firing away with the bazooka.

MacPhersonlawn
02-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I have been a member for only a couple of months but I'm still a little reluctant to ask a question here. I have seen so many new guys get put down just because they own a craftsman rider or are having trouble pricing a job. Yes, putting round up in the water is not a good thing to do but people here can make that point to the new guy without all the nasty comments.

Turf Medic
02-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Might help if the new guys would refrain from smart ass responses if they are asked if they are licensed and insured. Seems like if you try to get additional information from some of them so you can make a more informed reply, they get a real attitude. JMO

moremowing4me
02-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I am fairly new to the site and I understand that some of the older guys are saying things that are based on their own experiences which may or may not pertain to me being as they might be from a different area or have a different set of circumstances. I guess the older ones and the newer ones should just be aware of this.

traman
02-20-2005, 02:12 PM
yes all you have to do is say your from florida and tell the northern guys what you charge , and they all jump on ya ,ha ha its ok i grew up on long island at the end of the week we both have the same cash in the pocket .

fga
02-20-2005, 02:24 PM
yes all you have to do is say your from florida and tell the northern guys what you charge , and they all jump on ya ,ha ha its ok i grew up on long island at the end of the week we both have the same cash in the pocket .
:) Florida IS the one exception. if you read the fine print in the Lawnsite terms, Floridians are clearly stated as being nutty. technically, i should be typing in capitals so you can see it, but i just forget who i'm speaking with. there must be something in the beautiful clear waters.. maybe too much chlorine in the gene pool.. i don't know. :D

Precision
02-20-2005, 02:51 PM
there is no such thing as too much chlorine in the gene pool.

Perhaps a little more and some algeacide would kill of some of the scrubs.

MOW ED
02-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes a little tolerence is needed by all but that will never change. Sure I am what you may call an "old timer" but the bashing has always been here. It is just more noticable because there are many more people here.

Its hard to police that and I have to say that at one time or another I have asked stupid questions and I have also took part in a little digital tail whooping on others. This time of the year is the worst for bashing. We all have lots of pent up energy and no where to put it. I certainly don't consider a person that has 1 post a noob in the business as many accomplished operators are just watching and not saying a thing.
Sure some of the "what mower should I buy" questions are old hat but some people really need a hand. For the most part I just read the posts and don't respond.
Many new people here do not realize that 5 years ago there were only about 100 of us in this site. 6 years ago you would be hard pressed to find a forum to discuss lawn care. It is nice that we have so many people interested in what we do. I personally would like to hear from more of them.

fga
02-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Yes a little tolerence is needed by all but that will never change. Sure I am what you may call an "old timer" but the bashing has always been here. It is just more noticable because there are many more people here.

Its hard to police that and I have to say that at one time or another I have asked stupid questions and I have also took part in a little digital tail whooping on others. This time of the year is the worst for bashing. We all have lots of pent up energy and no where to put it. I certainly don't consider a person that has 1 post a noob in the business as many accomplished operators are just watching and not saying a thing.
Sure some of the "what mower should I buy" questions are old hat but some people really need a hand. For the most part I just read the posts and don't respond.
Many new people here do not realize that 5 years ago there were only about 100 of us in this site. 6 years ago you would be hard pressed to find a forum to discuss lawn care. It is nice that we have so many people interested in what we do. I personally would like to hear from more of them.
better words then i ... but my point exactly.

jjvvdd
02-20-2005, 03:11 PM
I have been reading these posts for months now without ever posting. This site is not any worse than any other site out there. It's a click. The thing that gets me is the forgetfullness of all the old timers. They act like they knew it all from the get go. Ha Ha Ha. It's a lot of Ego in here. Especially towards those that should benefit the most from this website. I think there should be a veteran place where they can go and stroke their ego's and a rookie place for questions and the good veterans with sense can share their experience and expertise without belittiling and condemning. This site is still the best out there and I am grateful to come have a place to read and learn.
JD in KC

tiedeman
02-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Might help if the new guys would refrain from smart ass responses if they are asked if they are licensed and insured. Seems like if you try to get additional information from some of them so you can make a more informed reply, they get a real attitude. JMO

I have to totally agree with this statement. I see it too often where the veterans are trying to help out the new guys and the new guys get an attitude about it

jjvvdd
02-20-2005, 03:17 PM
I did post in the applications area and got ripped up and one time in commercial
lawncare with a better response to a starting out question.

quiet
02-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I read this site and did searches for months before I ever posted any kind of response. I think I've started one thread; a month and a half ago (btw, posted it incorrectly in the wrong forum and got upbraided by the moderator!). I even spent a couple days reading the 589 or so responses on the "Little yard signs" thread.

I get annoyed by the newbie threads that ask "What kind of weed killer should I use for 2 acres?" No mention of location, weed id, or grass type. And I get a little annoyed when I see a new thread started by a newbie that was just asked and answered hours earlier! I remember seeing almost the identical question asked by a newbie that had a thread by someone else about 3 or 4 spaces down on the topic page.

Use the search feature. I learned more from searching through this forum than one can ever imagine.

I also get annoyed with a few (and just a few) of the Northern boys who jump in with answers for Southern turfgrass people. We have a whole different set of issues here.

This site excels in pros helping each other solve knotty problems. "Teach me".

But there is also a group that doesn't wanna do their homework either. "Do it for me"

olderthandirt
02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I have been reading these posts for months now without ever posting. This site is not any worse than any other site out there. It's a click. The thing that gets me is the forgetfullness of all the old timers. They act like they knew it all from the get go. Ha Ha Ha. It's a lot of Ego in here. Especially towards those that should benefit the most from this website. I think there should be a veteran place where they can go and stroke their ego's and a rookie place for questions and the good veterans with sense can share their experience and expertise without belittiling and condemning. This site is still the best out there and I am grateful to come have a place to read and learn.
JD in KC

You need to know who the ones that are willing to help are, and with comments like the above I think you will find more veterans stroking there egos than willing to answer YOUR questions. :dizzy:

Mac

rodfather
02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I have to totally agree with this statement. I see it too often where the veterans are trying to help out the new guys and the new guys get an attitude about it

I've seen a ton of that over the last couple of years..uh oh Troy, I see you're getting real serious now with the % number!

hayesandsons
02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
I am insured but what is the license thing i am in IL

jjvvdd
02-20-2005, 03:43 PM
"You need to know who the ones that are willing to help are, and with comments like the above I think you will find more veterans stroking there egos than willing to answer YOUR questions. "

That's my point. They need a seperate room for those guys. The ones that aren't jerks can help those rookies. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it all.
JD in KC

tiedeman
02-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I've seen a ton of that over the last couple of years..uh oh Troy, I see you're getting real serious now with the % number!

heck ya :) We have about 6 inches on the ground right now and we have been in a winter warning since 8am, and it isn't going to let up until midnight tonight. Supposed to get 8 to 12 inches. That is why I raised it up again :D

olderthandirt
02-20-2005, 04:03 PM
"You need to know who the ones that are willing to help are, and with comments like the above I think you will find more veterans stroking there egos than willing to answer YOUR questions. "

That's my point. They need a seperate room for those guys. The ones that aren't jerks can help those rookies. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it all.
JD in KC

JD why do "they" need a seperate room ? We've been there and done that.
I'm not gonna bust your chops over what you post, but how many times do you think a veteran has read one of you questions and just skipped over it becouse he felt it was to silly to waste his time on?

Mac

out4now
02-20-2005, 04:18 PM
I think the new guys have trouble finding the starting out forum. Like one guy already said he got more help there. Maybe it is the arrangement of how the forums are listed that brings them straight to the commercial one or that it's where they want to be eventually so they go straight to the source looking for the best info. I have to admit, the part about several threads asking the same question in the space of a few minutes gets old as well as all the which is right for me stuff but everyone starts out pretty much the same I guess. jmy.02

Fareway Lawncare
02-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Many of the Long Time Members think their Post Count Translates to Green Industry Experience...Not...or They Expect Respect because Their Post Count is High & Fly into a Tizzy fit for a Scorned Woman if it's Not Given...Personally I thing they Should Abolish the Post Count.

Also most Everyone Here is a "New Member"....Almost all the Old Guard...pre 2001 has Moved On.

rodfather
02-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Hell Fareway, you would probably own the count record if you hadn't changed your name so many times LOL

Ric
02-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Hell Fareway, you would probably own the count record if you hadn't changed your name so many times LOL

Rod

Please Give Calvin credit where credit is do. Calvin has had this screen name just over a year and hasn't been banned yet. I would like to think that is a record for Calvin in it's own right. ;)

rodfather
02-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Rod

Please Give Calvin credit where credit is do. Calvin has had this screen name just over a year and hasn't been banned yet. I would like to think that is a record for Calvin in it's own right. ;)

Will wonders ever cease to exist LOL...you're right Ric, this may be a record for him. I say give him time though.

lawnguyland
02-20-2005, 05:40 PM
We want Lawrence Stone, we want Lawrence Stone.

rodfather
02-20-2005, 05:44 PM

Tell Ric that...he knows where to find him.

Ric
02-20-2005, 05:53 PM

LawnGuy

It is not going to happen. Stone won't come back unless his name is un-banned and Jodi won't un-ban his name. Now the truth of the matter is The former poster known as Stone is a current member here and even reads Charlene's ramblings with that screen name. When he does post you would never know it was Stone posting. He doesn't post a whole lot so don't start trying to guess his screen name. you would be wrong 99% of the time.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I had a member post a question about the Red Hawk mower yesterday, I didnt jump up and say ''use the search feature'' , Instead I was familar with the post and copied and pasted the link in the new post for the new member. I didnt jump on him or call him silly I helped him find the info he was in search of. I know we see the same questions asked alot but guys take time to help them find what they need or explain how to use the search feature

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 05:59 PM

Don't think florida is the only place that charges are low according to the gurus of this site - South East Iowa is not biggie buck charge area, but it is also not biggie buck cost of living area - I have plenty left at the end of the year.

I will have to admit that I had to figure out ways to become extreeeemly efficient, which I did, and I now laugh all the way to the bank. The LCO's around here laughed at my idea 5 years ago - did not want any part of it, and now (I waited 4 years to start competing with them) I am redefineing some of the quality standards. I have mowers that trim better, flex and mow better, I do not string trim much because of that, and I have no brown grass.

I bid properties now from the standpoint of "I can give you this and is will not cost much more that the "scrub" bid you get.

Flex-Deck
02-20-2005, 06:01 PM

Yes, I had to get efficient to compete in SE. Iowa. Now I laugh all the way to the bank. I can bid $25 an acre and make more than they can by bidding $45 per acre. GO Figure.

meathead1134
02-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I wasn't scared of posting. I knew there was going to be people that would always bash the new guy. But I learned that you need to ignore the negativity and ask questions and read.

JRAZ
02-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I am a new guy here. Just jumped ship from another board. Like this style and set up much better.

~ J

Turf Medic
02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
I did post in the applications area and got ripped up and one time in commercial
lawncare with a better response to a starting out question.

It's attitude like this that I am talking about

Nothing personal telling you that your a winner. Get a life you blow hard.
"Only steers & queers from Texas, you ain't no steer."

And questions like this

I am starting a lawn and spray company and have no concept of the applications. I understand that eliminating pesticides and fertilizing the lawn is the goal. Is there a spray that does both at once? I've read about pricing here at lawnsite.com; I am going to test next month for the license. Any suggestions on literature to read, i.e. pesticide or fertilizing for dummies.
Thanks,
J.D. in K.C.

I could be way off base here but questions like this seem to make it quite obvious that you haven't studied or even attempted to learn anything on your own about lawn applications. IMO this board is a place to improve, not to be spoon fed, or handed all the answers by others that have made the sacrifices and have spent the hours reading, and studying. A simple search with any search engine on the INTERNET would have given you a more insight to the business than you display by your questions. To wake up one morning decide you are going to start an application business and then make lawnsite your first stop, comes across as an insult. JMO

And not you but several times newbies have come on board to give everyone the insight on being more professional and business like by improving their spelling and punctuation.

Eddie B
02-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I could be way off base here but questions like this seem to make it quite obvious that you haven't studied or even attempted to learn anything on your own about lawn applications. IMO this board is a place to improve, not to be spoon fed, or handed all the answers by others that have made the sacrifices and have spent the hours reading, and studying. A simple search with any search engine on the INTERNET would have given you a more insight to the business than you display by your questions. To wake up one morning decide you are going to start an application business and then make lawnsite your first stop, comes across as an insult. JMO

And not you but several times newbies have come on board to give everyone the insight on being more professional and business like by improving their spelling and punctuation.

I couldn't agree more.

lawnworker
02-20-2005, 10:16 PM
I also want Lawence Stone back. His ideas although extreme , were refreshing, and that camper/slash home was so funny :D :laugh:

Mountain Peak
02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I have to say, I'm pretty new here and I've been "lurking" for quite a while. I don't post much because I can usually find the answer to any of my questions by just looking at old posts. I will say that I do see a lot of questions for new guys being referred to the search feature with a brief answer, which is really nice.
I kind of like the bashing and attitudes going on here. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is still cold outside and everyone is cooped up right now:) but most of it is in good fun and healthy discussions about personal preferences.
I'm not scared to post but could see how the timid could be a little intimidated.....

Precision
02-21-2005, 07:56 AM
And the other thing is if you can't stand the heat here. How are you going to make it cutting in July and August.