PDA

View Full Version : D*mn Dodge Tranny

LawnsRUsInc.
02-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Well great day plowing i am just having loads of fun ;) Well I have a dodge ram 1999 3500 dually diesel 45k miles and first year with plow only used 4 times. Just today the engine felt like it was getting kicked in and out of overdrive only at 38-42 mph if i railed on it which i baby the truck it would be fine. If i maintained speed at 40 mph it would go from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm fairly quickly. Please help ME :confused:

vntgrcr
02-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Well great day plowing i am just having loads of fun ;) Well I have a dodge ram 1999 3500 dually diesel 45k miles and first year with plow only used 4 times. Just today the engine felt like it was getting kicked in and out of overdrive only at 38-42 mph if i railed on it which i baby the truck it would be fine. If i maintained speed at 40 mph it would go from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm fairly quickly. Please help ME :confused:
You need to go to the TURBO DEISEL REGISTERY WEBSITE and look under tranny trouble. I think what I have heard is there is a governor in the tranny and that needs to be replaced. Maybe $200 bucks. It is a common problem. Mine is a 99 with 75K on it with no problems. Use it daily to haul my Bobcat skid and excavator. Also keep an eye on the fuel lift/transfer pump. Monitor your fuel pressures with a gauge on the inside of the truck etc. Just check out TDR and you will find a load of info.
David

Tvov
02-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Is there a switch so you can just shut off the overdrive until you get it figured out?

jsr2741
02-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Your not suppose to drive in overdrive under speeds of 45 mph, especially with a load on it. Good way to shorten the life of the transmission. I believe that info is in the owners manual as well.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Thank you all,

The problem is still there when overdrive is off. And i never got a owners manual with the truck. By the way iam not sure but what is the warranty on a 99 diesel dodge ram, i am sure its expired but curious.

Thanks Jason

Travis Followell
02-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Aren't they supposed to have a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty. It should still be under warranty if it only has 45,000 miles on it.

Tvov
02-22-2005, 08:09 AM
It sounds like you bought this truck used? It is possible that the warranty only covers the original owner. You have to find out about it.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-22-2005, 11:30 AM
No it is transferable to the new owner. I called and it has a 60 month warranty on the engine not drivetrain. I bought the truck from my friend. 25K miles, monroe dump, fold down contractor sides, 4X4, fleet maintained bi weekley for $19,000.

Thank you guys
Jason

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Thank you all,

The problem is still there when overdrive is off. And i never got a owners manual with the truck. By the way iam not sure but what is the warranty on a 99 diesel dodge ram, i am sure its expired but curious.

Thanks Jason

Sounds like your overdrive switch is not working.
With the overdrive locked out it should not see a reduction in RPM'S as though it were shifting.
35-40 MPH is usually where the tranny's are set up to kick down into overdrive.
Never, never drive it in overdrive while hauling a load or plowing, slow down if neccessary to keep from running too consistently above 2300 rpm.
Running under load in overdrive without keeping the RPM's above 1500 rpm MINIMUM, will destroy your transmission in a hurry.

mag360
02-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I think that fluctuation in rpm is your torque converter locking and unlocking.
If you go to the turbodieselregister.com like David said look for information on a "noise filter" as electrical noise can interfere with the feed to the lockup clutch.
The torque converter locks in 3rd when overdrive is turned off and 4th otherwise so the fact that you have the problem in both settings would suggest that it's the lock-up. I wouldn't worry too much---your tranny should be fine.

alpine692003
02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Do you think it's better to drive without the OVERDRIVE activated then?

I usually tow with a trailer and equipment in my truck, no heavy equipment.. only lawn mowers, etc.. and while I'm driving, the OVERDRIVE IS ACTIVATED.. Should I turn it off while driving then?

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Do you think it's better to drive without the OVERDRIVE activated then?

I usually tow with a trailer and equipment in my truck, no heavy equipment.. only lawn mowers, etc.. and while I'm driving, the OVERDRIVE IS ACTIVATED.. Should I turn it off while driving then?

Overdrive should never be run under 1500 rpm MINIMUM.
Overdrive is for free wheeling highway driving not heavy towing or low rpm driving.

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't worry too much---your tranny should be fine.

Not true.
There is plenty of info on this subject for any one interested.
Running ANY overdrive at low RPM ESPECIALLY while towing a load is NOT good for any transmission.

alpine692003
02-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Okay, lets clarify two things here guys..

When driving with a load ie) trailer attached with clippings, lawn mowers, equipment. not heavy equipment, but trimmers, backpack blowers etc.. City driving the rpm would be around 1500 - 2500 rpm I think? - Overdrive on or off? Speed would be 50 - 70km's per hour.. thats like 35-40MPH

Driving on the highway with a load over 80km's - over drive on or off?
driving on highway without a load over 80km's - over drive on or off?

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Okay, lets clarify two things here guys..

When driving with a load ie) trailer attached with clippings, lawn mowers, equipment. not heavy equipment, but trimmers, backpack blowers etc.. City driving the rpm would be around 1500 - 2500 rpm I think? - Overdrive on or off? Speed would be 50 - 70km's per hour.. thats like 35-40MPH

Driving on the highway with a load over 80km's - over drive on or off?
driving on highway without a load over 80km's - over drive on or off?

City driving under 50-55 mph,(don't know the kph) with a trailer and mowers the overdrive is always off. Too many starts and stops, slowdowns, hills etc. It's just too hard on the transmission running in overdrive in the city while towing or hauling a load etc.

Highway driving over 50 mph with no load is fine, 55 mph with a load on before going to overdrive.
Obviously common sense needs to be used. Running at 2300 rpm over a long distance due to not using overdrive is then harder on the motor and uses more fuel. Highway driving is also generally more free wheeling type driving than in the city. (smaller hills,less need for slowdowns etc,)

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 10:57 PM
It's more important to watch rpm's than mph's.

alpine692003
02-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Okay, with that being said about the rpm's..

Under 1500 overdrive off, over 1500 overdrive on?

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Okay, with that being said about the rpm's..

Under 1500 overdrive off, over 1500 overdrive on?

No, no, no.....................HeHe.

Overdrive should not be used if it is running under 1500 rpm IN overdrive.
In order to get to a speed where overdrive can and should be used you would need to get to 2000-2300 in 3rd gear.
Again, this is for towing, hauling, etc.
Watch your tach if you have one and it will give you an idea of where the overdrive kicks in under no load driving, then add some rpms to that due to having a load on and shift at that point.

Making any sense?

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Let me simplify this.

If your trans is in overdrive and you are not over 1500 rpm while driving get out of overdrive.

HOMER
02-23-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm assuming your speedometer is working correctly.

If not, like mine, then I read where the ^V^V^V up and down rpm's could be your RWSS or rear wheel speed sensor. It's located on top of the rear axle housing. I haven't changed mine yet but my truck started doing what yours is doing, then it progressed to the speedometer not working until I was running 20-25 then to the speedo not working unless I was haulin' azz like 85mph.

I regulate my tranny by the seat of the pants. If I feel like I'm putting a strain on the transmission I hit the O/D button and kick it out. If I'm cruising comfortably at 60-65-70 then I let her run in O/D. Just don't lug it and make the tranny downshift on it's own too much. I think if it does then it starts slipping.

My extended warranty covered my transmission rebuild...............all but $175.00 of the $2870.00. Don't let the thing go too long before you figure out what it is...........it only costs more down the road! payup

mag360
02-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Not true.
There is plenty of info on this subject for any one interested.
Running ANY overdrive at low RPM ESPECIALLY while towing a load is NOT good for any transmission.

Took me out of context there a little.
What I meant was the problem with the torque converter locking and unlocking does not suggest internal wear on the tranny---it is usually a simple issue.

Alpine,
I own, tow, and plow with a '99 Dodge 2500 CTD auto with 4.10 gears.
Towing---light or heavy---keep od off unless you need to exceed 55mph or so(you should have 4.10's as well) With no load you can leave od on. Plowing you can leave od on since you will never get to 4th gear in a driveway or parking lot.

The shift pattern on our trucks is as follows:
OD off---starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd, shifts to 3rd, then torque converter locks in third (it feels like a sloppy shift into 4th)
OD on---starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd, shifts to 3rd, shifts to 4th, then converter locks up (it feels like a sloppy shift into a 5th gear)
So if the converter lockup clutch is getting an unclear feed you will feel it with od on or off. Normally with od off the converter locks between 25 and 30mph, with od on it locks between 38 and 45mph or so. That means you should not feel anything out of the ordinary until you hit these respective speeds.

For the record---I have over 100,000 miles on my original tranny.

DEFINITELY go to the website that David mentioned---you can find anything you want to know about our trucks there---I am a very happy member of the TDR.

Scottish LScape
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Aren't they supposed to have a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty. It should still be under warranty if it only has 45,000 miles on it.
Same thing happened to me with a '97 2500. Call your local dodge dealer, they covered 100% for me. good luck.

dvmcmrhp52
02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Took me out of context there a little.
What I meant was the problem with the torque converter locking and unlocking does not suggest internal wear on the tranny---it is usually a simple issue.

Alpine,
I own, tow, and plow with a '99 Dodge 2500 CTD auto with 4.10 gears.
Towing---light or heavy---keep od off unless you need to exceed 55mph or so(you should have 4.10's as well) With no load you can leave od on. Plowing you can leave od on since you will never get to 4th gear in a driveway or parking lot.

The shift pattern on our trucks is as follows:
OD off---starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd, shifts to 3rd, then torque converter locks in third (it feels like a sloppy shift into 4th)
OD on---starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd, shifts to 3rd, shifts to 4th, then converter locks up (it feels like a sloppy shift into a 5th gear)
So if the converter lockup clutch is getting an unclear feed you will feel it with od on or off. Normally with od off the converter locks between 25 and 30mph, with od on it locks between 38 and 45mph or so. That means you should not feel anything out of the ordinary until you hit these respective speeds.

For the record---I have over 100,000 miles on my original tranny.

DEFINITELY go to the website that David mentioned---you can find anything you want to know about our trucks there---I am a very happy member of the TDR.

Good post............
One thing though, I don't believe I took you out of context.
Locking and unlocking of the converter will not usually have the tachometer fluctuating from 1500 to 2000 rpm as his original post explained.This is typically the trans shifting, not the converter locking. My tach shows next to nothing upon locking or unlocking of the converter.

mag360
02-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Good post............
One thing though, I don't believe I took you out of context.
Locking and unlocking of the converter will not usually have the tachometer fluctuating from 1500 to 2000 rpm as his original post explained.This is typically the trans shifting, not the converter locking. My tach shows next to nothing upon locking or unlocking of the converter.

I wish my torque converter was tight enough not to feel the lockup much but Dodge has the thing set very sloppy to protect the 47re. With this tranny the tach can fluctuate that much upon locking and unlocking (unfortunately).
If I remember correctly---You have a superduty with the torqueshift tranny which is a little more advanced than my slushbox. The tach actually changes more on lockup with the Cummins Ram than it does shifting through the gears.

Eclipse
02-24-2005, 09:25 PM

You must not be driving a Dodge.

The OEM Dodge TC's can show a swing of up to 500RPMs when locking/unlokcing the TC. Unfortunately it is a very inefficient TC.

dvmcmrhp52
02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
You must not be driving a Dodge.

The OEM Dodge TC's can show a swing of up to 500RPMs when locking/unlokcing the TC. Unfortunately it is a very inefficient TC.

Hmmm.
I guess I better take a look at the emblem again.............
Maybe it means Dodge city instead................

Eclipse
02-24-2005, 10:30 PM
What year is your truck? The 48re's (03's and newer) are better than the 47re's.

mag360
03-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Lawnsrus---did you get it fixed yet?