PDA

View Full Version : new expensive toy

YardPro
02-20-2005, 07:43 PM
well i just bought a self leveling rotary laser level with detector, tripod, and grade stick.

man these are pricy. $1200.00. our optical dissapeared off a jobsite a few months back, and i rented one for the pool deck tearout and paver job. It is the cat's meow. one man operation, idiot proof. accurate to 1/16" at 100 feet....

if this thing dissapears i'm going to shoot somebody

Gilla Gorilla
02-20-2005, 09:01 PM
I have seen those used on some shows on HGTV and they do look pretty sweet. I will have to wait a while before I could justify one of those for business though.

It does sound like it will make its money back for you pretty soon.

YardPro
02-20-2005, 11:05 PM
we would have never bought it before, but this pool deck is a $25K job. We are guaranteed the other pool (same size), this fall or the first of next year. Have a 1K sqft walk for another condo we're doing in conjunction with the pool deck. Next we're doing 3 driveways ( tearout the old concrete, and paver them)for our best residental client. and will probably be doing a $75 K pool deck renovation for the condo we're doing the walkway for.

since we're a pool service business as well, we have sort of fallen into the pool deck renovations this year. it came out of nowhere.. I'm sort of nervous about all this paver work. so i needed something one man could use. Finding help is our biggest problem. I'm starting to replace people with equipment in every instance i can
with all this paver work alone, i could not see NOT justifying the cost.
plus, it looks cool pulling it out.:)

you do any jobs down here and i'll let you borrow it:)

if you ever get a chance to use one you will want one.

impactlandscaping
02-21-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm starting to replace people with equipment in every instance i can....

Exactly what we started doing last fall. Equipment nevers comes in hung over , sleeps late, or gets dumped by it's girlfriend...lol

YardPro
02-27-2005, 09:32 PM
LOL
man, i've heard ALL the excuses............sounds like we have had the same employee.

mbella
02-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Which one did you get?

Lawnworks
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
How did you initially learn to do the pavers?

Gilla Gorilla
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Exactly what we started doing last fall. Equipment nevers comes in hung over , sleeps late, or gets dumped by it's girlfriend...lol

That is why I am going to try to keep the mowing accounts this year down to the size that I can handle by myself comfortably so I dont have to listen to stuff like that. I had a helper last year for a couple of months but dreaded when I heard the cell phone ring in the morning and a message indicator beeping after he called becuase I knew he was hung over or had car trouble. Well hopefully my Dingo will not try to call in to much this year during the landscaping days. :)

Lawnworks
02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I pick up my Mexicans which sucks, but they never miss a day sick, rainy, or whatever.

gml9
02-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Yardpro-
I'm in Hampton and have a good friend who wants me to expand to Nags Head(1.5 hours from me)- he has lots of connections for business there. Are you nearby?
If you need solid/knowledgeable help with pavers- I may be willing to help you. I recently quit my fulltime job and am expanding business.

YardPro
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Which one did you get?

the dewalt self leveling

YardPro
03-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Yardpro-
I'm in Hampton and have a good friend who wants me to expand to Nags Head(1.5 hours from me)- he has lots of connections for business there. Are you nearby?
If you need solid/knowledgeable help with pavers- I may be willing to help you. I recently quit my fulltime job and am expanding business.

thanks for the offer. I've done quite a bit of smaller paver work, 500sq feet or less. I have some experienced help on this 2K pool job.
just set up the string lines and got the subgrade. will be bringing in the base material today...........

nags head is about an hour from me.

i met some guys this past week at the icpi certification from your neck of the woods.

nags head is not very developed. the homes that are there, however, are very expensive.
that whole area is really beautiful.