PDA

View Full Version : central texas farm tie-in

newmoonfarm
02-20-2005, 10:09 PM
my wife and i have reached a point with our farm (heirloom produce, herbs, heirloom flowers) where it is almost full time. i am going to take the plunge and leave my full time job and go for it. as a way of to find some extra income source we're going to add a landscaping, lawn and garden element to our operation. i have 2 sons to keep employed so we thought this would be a great tie in to our nursery.
no one piece of our farm will employ us all but i think we can be profitable if we keep moving.
we have a farm stand on site, we'll be at the houston farmers' market 2 days per week, we are trying to get a contract to grow for a high end salsa maker and a few restaurants, and hopefully we'll field a 1-3 man crew in one of the four surrounding towns.
i have all the equipment i need with the exception of a good walk behind mower. i think a deere 36" will fill the bill nicely and i have a relationship with our local dealer alredy.
this site has really helped me out with a lot of info on bidding and marketing. i'm glad i found you guys and i'll keep you informed of our progress.
we already have a few residential customers and a tie in with a local plumbing contractor to repair his installations.

Toy2
02-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Take the plunge, and never look back...you will do fine!

lawnlubber
03-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Don't forget to produce some annuals on your farm for sale to your new clients as well as area LCO's. Flower installs can be quite profitable.

Green Dreams
04-03-2005, 02:56 PM
What/Where farmers market do you go to? We like fresh produce...