PDA

View Full Version : 24" or 30" hedge trimmer?

grass disaster
02-20-2005, 10:00 PM
seriously looking to buy a hedge trimmer. it will be used for smaller bushes mostly. which one would best suite me.

looking to possibly tap into the residential hedge trimming business. possibly get some lawn business out of the deal

Pecker
02-20-2005, 10:04 PM
I have a 24" trimmer and I believe any longer than that would be cumbersome on small shrubs and bushes.

JKOOPERS
02-20-2005, 10:32 PM
24" is just fine perfect for small bushes . what brand are you looking at? (redmax) :blush:

grass disaster
02-20-2005, 10:41 PM
no the stihl.
i have a dealer that is about 3 block away. not really any redmax dealers around

specialtylc
02-20-2005, 10:58 PM
We have both 26 and 30 inch trimmers. Of all the brands we have owned we like the 26 in Tanakas the best, good power,blade speed and and very light and comfortable. Second best is Shindiawa 30 inch. Its heavier but it will cut anything. Little Wonder.Echo.Stihl are all least user friendly in my opion.

LLandscaping
02-20-2005, 11:00 PM
We have a Stihl HS 80 with the 30in bar. It does good for medium to large bushes but it would be nice to also have a 24in bar for the smaller stuff. I voted for the 24 because I think that is the best size for your application. The Stihls are great machines but they are a little heavy. The amount of power they have is awesome and I really dont mind the weight. Make sure you get the HS 80 because the HS 45 are not commercial grade.

olderthandirt
02-20-2005, 11:24 PM
I said the 30". If you ever get to the point of needing a longer bar and a little more power you will aready have it, Plus a 30" bar will do all that a 24" will although it might be a little cumbersome but a 24" can't do all that a 30" can.

Mac

Kelly's Landscaping
02-20-2005, 11:57 PM
I couldn't let you be by your self Mac I picked the 30 as well. I think the need for a smaller pair is not as big either but if you do feel you need a smaller pair then 12-18 inches would fit nearly anywhere. Any time I ever had trouble fitting a 30-inch set the 24s did not fit either. Personally to really do it right I think you will want to expand get a mid size pair meaning a set with a 2 or 3 foot shaft then the blades. And a real extension set at least 8 feet from the back to the tip preferably with an articulating head. As big as that sounds I have found myself standing on the top part of a 12 foot ladder reaching as far as I could and still not finding the middle of a hedge. Buy them one at a time as you find you need them.

The smaller trimmers are around 200-350 dollars which is really not a whole lot of money

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-21-2005, 12:52 AM
...kinda a follow up. What do most ppl prefer....single or double sided on the blades and why?

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
...kinda a follow up. What do most ppl prefer....single or double sided on the blades and why?

Nevermind...I did a search.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-21-2005, 06:11 AM
I have the stihl HS45 with a 24'' bar and they perform very nice. The only bad thing I see with them are they are a little heavy.

rodten
02-21-2005, 07:42 AM
i have the 30" shindawia, works great :blob3:

Roger
02-21-2005, 08:39 AM
I have a Stihl HS80, 24" long, double-edged. For me, this is the best. I work mostly small bushes, with few long, squared off hedges (where a 30" might be more effective). I agree with the weight issue. I'm 63 with a slight build, so handling the trimmer over a long period of time can be a problem. I just learn to pace myself.

Cobra Jock
02-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I have the Stihl HS 80 in the 30 inch bar. I love them other than they are a little heavy.

Greg

Roger
02-21-2005, 09:04 AM
... should have included in my previous post.

Does anybody have trouble keeping the bolts going through the bar tight after an off/on cycle? When I sharpen, I take the bar apart, taking out the various pieces from the gearcase. I put each blade in a vice and them file by hand.

The bolts going through the bar (4 of them in a 24" model), have serrated surfaces on the bolt heads and on the nuts. When taking them off, and putting them back on, the serrations get worn off slightly, making the serrations less effective in holding the nuts/bolts tight. I have replaced mine a couple of times because the old ones work loose soon after replacement. The new ones stay tight, until I take them off/put them on again.

Or, is a drop of paint, or some other substance on the bolt threads a way of holding the nut tight? My dealer does not stock nuts (bolts - yes, they must be used as cap screws on other Stihl equipment), and they are a special order.

ProSvcs
02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
loctite on threads