PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper ??'s

bottlefed89
02-21-2005, 08:12 AM
I am thinking of another mower for the year, and I think it will be a dixie chopper. The local dealer has a demo with like 10 hours on it that I may look into. I think it was a sp2800, with a 60" cut. Is the 28hp kohler alright, or should I try to step up to the generac 32hp on a new xt?? What is the difference in the sp and xt's?? Also, what has everyone else paid for similar machines?? I don't have a ton of choices to price from out here, but I want to make sure this dealer isn't too high, also they've had it for a while, and I thought of making him a lower cash offer but don't want to be too far off. Thanks
greg

Flex-Deck
02-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Any of their machines would do you well. Smooth controls, and well built. And are double filtered in most areas.

gorrell
02-21-2005, 10:07 AM
The 28 hp Kohler EFI is a very good engine on a 60" machine. We had a loaner unit last season that had that motor on a 72" and was a little underpowered but on a 60 I'd see no problem. The wheel motors on the sp don't allow 15 mph, but are better if you have any hillsides to contend with as they are intended to supply more torque to the drive wheels. I believe $7500 cash would be a reasonable offer for the demo machine..........Lynn

Travis Followell
02-21-2005, 11:36 AM
The main difference in the SP and the XT is like you mentioned, the engine. 32 Generac verses 28 efi Kohler. The only other difference is the SP goes 13 mph and the XT goes 15 mph. Thats the only difference between those two machines.

I don't think you can go wrong buying a Dixie. They are built very good and they have a lot of life adding features that the other brands don't so you can definately expect it to last longer. I'd say a good price for the demo machine would be about $7500-7700. Before you make him an offer price a brand new one like it. If you don't mind spending the extra money then by all means step up to the xp because you can never have too much horsepower. With that said I think the SP would have plenty of power for normal mowing and with the SP you would save quite a bit of $$ on fuel. Hope that helps.

Catos
02-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I got a dixie chopper a few years ago, it was a pain from the start. Belts breaking all the time, welding cracking on it. Then the worst was I couldn't use it on good grass it would cut uneven and scalp it up. So I got rid of it ASAP. Now not too many people are the Dixie Chopper tip anymore in my area, it's now Exmark and bit of Hustler running around my neck of the woods. I always see people prasing the Dixie Choppers on this site, I must have gotten a LEMON factory direct. Beacuse that machine gave me nothing but trouble. I did learn one thing from it though, ALWAYS DEMO BEFORE YOU BUY. Unless you are comfortable with that product.

bottlefed89
02-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah, maybe you got a lemon. It does happen, anyone else have bad experiences??
thanks
greg

Legacy
02-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Not many Dixie's in my neck of the woods either...they just dried up and went away....

Travis Followell
02-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I got a dixie chopper a few years ago, it was a pain from the start. Belts breaking all the time, welding cracking on it. Then the worst was I couldn't use it on good grass it would cut uneven and scalp it up. So I got rid of it ASAP. Now not too many people are the Dixie Chopper tip anymore in my area, it's now Exmark and bit of Hustler running around my neck of the woods. I always see people prasing the Dixie Choppers on this site, I must have gotten a LEMON factory direct. Beacuse that machine gave me nothing but trouble. I did learn one thing from it though, ALWAYS DEMO BEFORE YOU BUY. Unless you are comfortable with that product.
Yea, you mush have got a lemon.

chevyman1
02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Dixie's didn't 'dry up and go away' in the Northeast...in fact they are just starting to blossom in the NE as they start a dealer network up here, and I smash the times of my competition on mine

DennisF
02-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I haven't used a Dixie in a few years, but the ones I did use were excellent mowers. The only complaint I had with them was they had a high center of gravity and were dangerous on hills. I always used the walk-behind on lawns that the Dixie felt un-stable on. Maybe the new models have been changed to a lower center of gravity making them more stable. Either way I would demo the mower on a hill before buying.

Soupy
02-22-2005, 04:38 PM
I haven't used a Dixie in a few years, but the ones I did use were excellent mowers. The only complaint I had with them was they had a high center of gravity and were dangerous on hills. I always used the walk-behind on lawns that the Dixie felt un-stable on. Maybe the new models have been changed to a lower center of gravity making them more stable. Either way I would demo the mower on a hill before buying.

I will second that. I really liked my Dixie Chopper, but I needed mulching capabilities so I went with another brand. If Dixie Chopper could somehow implement true mulching without sacrificing cut quality I would buy another in a heart beat. So If you do not need to mulch or have a lot of hills you will be very pleased with DC